Dish Network's lack of Yankees has fans fuming

The difference is that most of those channels only cost about a nickel per subscriber (or even better, they PAY E* to be carried).

petrozio said:
We argue about paying a buck or 2 for YES, which not all, but many people will watch, and we sit here idol and pay for the horse racing, bingo, and a zillion home shopping channels. What's wrong with this???? Give us the fricken Yanks!

The point here is that yes many people in the NY/NJ/Ct area will watch Yankees games... however the rest of us will not be able to watch if we so choose. So to say pay the "frickin" 1 or 2 dollars is not a fair or valid statement.. .pay whatever you pay for other RSN's? Yes. To pay 3 or 4 times more for a channel a fraction of the audience gets to enjoy, I stay stand firm and wait for sense to build in.

Sam

I call BS! I'd like to see the document where it says that every Dish sub in the U.S. would have to pay $2 for the YES Network, even though 90% or more of those subs will not be able to watch the Yankees games.

jrbdmb, you are correct. Half the facts on this thread are a complete farce.

No one believes that YES wants exactly the same treatement as FSN:NY and MSG when it comes to package placement. No one believes the only reason Dish Network won't sign up for YES is because Dish Network does not want to pay for a third RSN in New York. No one wants to believe YES will only charge the Yankee fans in the New York area for the channel.

The fact remains that YES only charges DirecTV the full amount to the New York area subs, that they are in the base package, and that they carry a third RSN. And the same deal is out there for Dish Network...

The truth of the matter is Charlie is a closet New York Mets fan!!! This will be proven when the new mets channel shows up on E* next year and YES wont!!!!!!

I can't believe people in NY are still whining about this. I personally think Dish is a better service than Directv, but if I was in NY there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY I would subscribe to Dish. People in NYC if they have Dish have missed Yankees games for 2 years now, it's up to them to take the initiative to change services. If I was truly a fan of the Yankees, I wouldn't have missed a single game, much less 2 full seasons.

Chris Walker said:
I can't believe people in NY are still whining about this. ...
Chris, you have to understand that people in NY aren't happy unless they have something to whine about. :)

As a Mets fan I root for the.....

1. The Mets.
2. ANYONE playing the Yankees
3. Whomever hasn't won the world series ever/in the longest time.

That means that I am rooting for an Astros-White Sox series. Either can take it, although I am rooting for the White Sox. Although Houston has never been IN the series, they've only been suffering for half a century. The White Sox haven't been in it since Woodrow Wilson was President.

BobMurdoch said:
As a Mets fan I root for the.....

1. The Mets.
2. ANYONE playing the Yankees
3. Whomever hasn't won the world series ever/in the longest time.

That means that I am rooting for an Astros-White Sox series. Either can take it, although I am rooting for the White Sox. Although Houston has never been IN the series, they've only been suffering for half a century. The White Sox haven't been in it since Woodrow Wilson was President.

I am a Mets fan, too. I can't agree more on the above.

If Dish Network does not put on the Mets network next year it will be so long Dish and hello DirecTV.

Youse guys don't understand dat we NY/NJ types ain't happy unless we got sumpin to bitch about, capeesh?

I mean c'mon. The New York Giants are an offensive juggernaut now. We dunno WHAT to do now..... Oooh, we can gripe about the defense, that'll work.....

At this point in time, the YES offer to Dish probably doesn't look too good to Charlie. He's already paid the price for not carrying the channel. Yankee fans have already gone to D* or Cablevision. So the motivation for him to carry this channel has diminished from where it was a couple of years ago when E* had a larger pro-Yankee fan base to protect.

Why pay the freight AFTER the horse has left the barn? Sure E* would be in a better position to add NY area new subs, but the cost for adding YES would likely be pretty high for this comparitively low number of subs. The cost to E* per interested sub at this point would be VERY high.

Thus I think that for YES to be financially viable for E* that Charlie would want a substantially better deal than what he was offered before. But I can't see how YES could offer anything other than what they have already given to D* and Cablevision. So it would surprise me if they strike a deal anytime soon.

Tom Bombadil said:
At this point in time, the YES offer to Dish probably doesn't look too good to Charlie. He's already paid the price for not carrying the channel. Yankee fans have already gone to D* or Cablevision. So the motivation for him to carry this channel has diminished from where it was a couple of years ago when E* had a larger pro-Yankee fan base to protect.

Why pay the freight AFTER the horse has left the barn? Sure E* would be in a better position to add NY area new subs, but the cost for adding YES would likely be pretty high for this comparitively low number of subs. The cost to E* per interested sub at this point would be VERY high.

Thus I think that for YES to be financially viable for E* that Charlie would want a substantially better deal than what he was offered before. But I can't see how YES could offer anything other than what they have already given to D* and Cablevision. So it would surprise me if they strike a deal anytime soon.

Tom,

The point is that Cablevision has and did get a better offer for carriage of "YES" than Dish could get.

This is the reason "YES" is not on Dish Network. Dish also had counter offers to carry the "YES" channel and pay ALL Subscriber Subscription revenue to "YES" from those that purchased it Ala Carte. The Uplink and all other related costs were to be paid for by Dish. "YES" said no, if they truely believe that their product was so "Must Watch TV" then they would have agreed to this type of carriage agreement.

Here's a thought maybe the Yankees aren't as loved or wanted as "YES" believe they are.

I like that Dish has drawn a line in the sand on this issue to discourage all other Teams from these same tactics.

John

JohnL said:
This is the reason "YES" is not on Dish Network. Dish also had counter offers to carry the "YES" channel and pay ALL Subscriber Subscription revenue to "YES" from those that purchased it Ala Carte. The Uplink and all other related costs were to be paid for by Dish. "YES" said no, if they truely believe that their product was so "Must Watch TV" then they would have agreed to this type of carriage agreement.

Here's a thought maybe the Yankees aren't as loved or wanted as "YES" believe they are.

I like that Dish has drawn a line in the sand on this issue to discourage all other Teams from these same tactics.
Here's another thought...

Why would YES agree to terms that the rest of the industry does NOT employ? After all, the two largest competitors to YES on Dish Network, Fox Sports Net New York and MSG Network both are available in the AT120, without the need for an a-la-carte premium.
The point is that Cablevision has and did get a better offer for carriage of "YES" than Dish could get.
Really? How?

JohnL said:
Tom,

John
So, how long have you been working on the negotiations? What? You haven't been? Ah. So, your just making assumptions based on the stuff Charlie says on the Chats. I can see why you'd believe him. He's never been less than 100% truthful on the Chats in the past.

JohnL,

What you wrote you may or may not be true, however either way it doesn't change the points I made. With few hard-core Yankee fans remaining as Dish subscribers, why would E* now agree to any high-cost offer to carry YES? Even the deal offered to Cablevision would likely be a poor deal for Dish at this point.

There is no doubt that Charlie's hard line on this matter was to send a message to others. Whether that message was effective is open to question. I suspect Dish has lost a fair portion of their NYC market to D* and Cablevision since then. Depending upon how sizable that loss was, perhaps the one getting the message was E*.