Dish New FCC Filings on Ciel-2 Satellite

It does say that 16 TPs to be used for CONUS/CONCanada and 16 for spotbeams. 53 spotbeams in North America including spotbeams for Alaska and Hawaii. I believe it was reported a while back that there would be 144 spotbeam TPs for the U.S. Ciel-2 will not help out at 129 W, it will replace the E-5 satellite at 129 W.

It does say that 16 TPs to be used for CONUS/CONCanada and 16 for spotbeams. 53 spotbeams in North America including spotbeams for Alaska and Hawaii. I believe it was reported a while back that there would be 144 spotbeam TPs for the U.S. Ciel-2 will not help out at 129 W, it will replace the E-5 satellite at 129 W.

How many CONUS TPs are used for national HD at present on E5? Assuming locals go to spot, do we see then an increase in available space? Can E3/E12 at 61.5 keep up with any additional space so anything new can be mirrored for us there?

Looks like the schedule S is there too so someone with the know how of reading this document can put the spotbeam coverages on a map.

How many CONUS TPs are used for national HD at present on E5? Assuming locals go to spot, do we see then an increase in available space? Can E3/E12 at 61.5 keep up with any additional space so anything new can be mirrored for us there?

I believe Dish uses 12 TPs for national HD programming on 129 W. I am not sure but there maybe two or three more that are used for Regional Sports Networks (RSNs) on a part time basis. In regards to capacity on E-3/E-12, Dish has been migrating some of the International programming off of the 61.5 W slot to the 118.7 W slot but it has been slow. There is still at least 8 TPs of International programming still at 61.5 W so if room is needed, more could be moved.

I believe Dish uses 12 TPs for national HD programming on 129 W. I am not sure but there maybe two or three more that are used for Regional Sports Networks (RSNs) on a part time basis. In regards to capacity on E-3/E-12, Dish has been migrating some of the International programming off of the 61.5 W slot to the 118.7 W slot but it has been slow. There is still at least 8 TPs of International programming still at 61.5 W so if room is needed, more could be moved.

Cool. Let me do a quick back of the envelope calculation:

Assuming all 16 CONUS TPs are used for national HD (locals to spot), including RSNs: 16x7=112 HD channels
There are 3 current TPs on 110 for HD. 3*7=21 HD (pending MPEG4 switch)
Assume one more 110 TP will be freed with the FEC changes and more swapping: 7 HD
Further, let's assume capacity on 129 and 110 is the limiting factor. Thus, everything on 129 can be mirrored on 61.5 (based on what you say) and everything on 110 can go on 72.7/77.
112+21+7=140 national HD Channels.
Add in 4 local networks: 144 HDs
Further, RSNs will probably not be full time, adding some more numbers to the mix. Plus, they may be different, 129 to 61.5.

For the first time, I see how Dish can get to 150 (although this has many assumptions). Let's hope they do.

Let's hope we have a good launch and a fully functioning satellite. I'll be watching the launch with beverage in hand and "trimming my nails."

Looks like the schedule S is there too so someone with the know how of reading this document can put the spotbeam coverages on a map.

I've been waiting for this document. Give me a couple of days and you will have it ( maybe sooner if I get some eye drops .

One can see why they said they are thinking of moving E5 to 148.

Wonder if FCC will approve this detail???

Because DISH Network believes that its system is most like a VSAT network, it has paid the $170.00 VSAT system modification fee. However, if the Commission determines that the $170.00 per station fee for receive-only earth stations applies to this application, DISH Network seeks a waiver of that $850 million application fee."
"

Ciel 2 Spot Cities

A small start

Spot Beam Cities for Ciel 2 at 129W

8PSK Turbo 2/3

HONOLULU HI,
SAN ANTONIO TX
ATLANTA GA
NASHVILLE TN
EL PASO TX
LAS CRUCES NM
SHREVEPORT LA
PHOENIX AZ
PRESCOTT AZ
OKLAHOMA CITY OK
LOS ANGELES CA
WASHINGTON DC
HAGERSTOWN MD
ST LOUIS MO
SAN FRANCISCO CA
OAKLAND CA
SAN JOSE CA
DENVER CO
SALT LAKE CITY UT
CLEVELAND OH
AKRON OH
CANTON OH
CHICAGO IL
BOISE ID
MARQUETTE MI
MINNEAPOLIS MN
ST PAUL MN
SEATTLE WA
TACOMA WA
PORTLAND OR
GREAT FALLS MT
MINOT ND
BISMARCK ND
DICKINSON ND
ANCHORAGE AK
CORPUS CHRISTI TX
LUBBOCK TX
BAKERSFIELD CA
INDIANAPOLIS IA
TOPEKA KS
SIOUX FALLS SD
EUGENE OR
IDAHO FALLS ID
FARGO ND
SPOKANE WA
==================================
QPSK Turbo 5/6

TAMPA FL
ST PETERSBURG FL
SARASOTA FL
CHARLESTON SC
NEW ORLEANS LA
HOUSTON TX

A small start

Spot Beam Cities for Ciel 2 at 129W

8PSK Turbo 2/3

SAN FRANCISCO CA
OAKLAND CA
SAN JOSE CA
Are those three separate spot beams ? Currently those are all on one spot for SD channels (110) and another for HD channels (119).

SF to Oakland is something like 10 miles as the crow flies...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)