Dish no longer taking AMEX?

Well, I know Directv, AAA, and Meijer secretly hate me now because I've been using my fairly new AMEX BCE at those places (and a few others). Hey, I know at the end of the day it's up to the business to decide what to to accept as payment. Big corporations should be able to absorb AMEX's higher fees (which are really only 1.5-2% higher when you compare them with the other big 3 CC's) without any issue. Small businesses are a different story and I can understand why they may not take AMEX. That said, It's also up to the consumer to figure out if AMEX is a good card for them. They may offer the best rewards, but if they're not accepted anywhere you shop, then the card practically becomes useless.

Well, I know Directv, AAA, and Meijer secretly hate me now because I've been using my fairly new AMEX BCE at those places (and a few others). Hey, I know at the end of the day it's up to the business to decide what to to accept as payment. Big corporations should be able to absorb AMEX's higher fees (which are really only 1.5-2% higher when you compare them with the other big 3 CC's) without any issue. Small businesses are a different story and I can understand why they may not take AMEX. That said, It's also up to the consumer to figure out if AMEX is a good card for them. They may offer the best rewards, but if they're not accepted anywhere you shop, then the card practically becomes useless.

I rarely ever see any customers with AmEx cards, that's why I wonder why people get them.

Yes. The platinum card to me has the benefits if you travel often. I do, and the cost of the card is high per year, but I save more than that plus the conveniences it gives. If I don't fly Southwest (They have no baggage fees for first couple) then I can save $200 a year on those fees with airlines . On delayed flights nothing like being able to use rooms like the Delta Sky Club for free, even if you are not flying Delta. And they cover more than most other cards should you have an accident with a rental car. (They tell you to waive all insurance fee costs) It got me a fee upgrade to a beach front room in Hawaii, a savings of $550 for the stay. They will fly you out of an area if needed for medical reasons (Small travel insurance cost is needed) They also have free replacement for items bought with the card, but if you don't really travel it may not be worth it.

http://exploreplatinum.americanexpress.com/Benefits/AllBenefits

One more thing - they immediately credit your account if you dispute a charge, delaying a payment for it until it is resolved and it is easy to simply talk with someone if you wish.

One more thing - they immediately credit your account if you dispute a charge, delaying a payment for it until it is resolved and it is easy to simply talk with someone if you wish.
That's one of the main reasons I use it when possible. It's a pain to dispute things with my Visa and MC.

I didn't know a thread I started because the Dish website wasn't working right when I tried to make a payment would last so many pages. I thought it would be over when the DIRT member answered my question and said I could still enter it no matter what was in the card selection menu.

The you don't know Satelliteguys posters. We can stretch any thread beyond it's limits. :eek:

The original poster seems to be correct. I went to change my account from an old AMEX card to a new AMEX card, and the AMEX choice is not available. Visa, MC plus some others I'm not familiar with. I guess they will take AMEX if that's what you're currently setup for, but if you want to change anything AMEX is not an option. Regards, Alan

If you enter the card number and select any of the card types it will work.

The original poster seems to be correct. I went to change my account from an old AMEX card to a new AMEX card, and the AMEX choice is not available. Visa, MC plus some others I'm not familiar with. I guess they will take AMEX if that's what you're currently setup for, but if you want to change anything AMEX is not an option. Regards, Alan

Follow DIRTs advise, simply choose any card and then plug in your AMEX card number...

I rarely ever see any customers with AmEx cards, that's why I wonder why people get them.
I have three due to cross-brand-promotion - Costco only accepts cash or Amex, and the Costco Amex builds up cash back points; The American Airlines credit card is Amex, administered by Citibank, though, which is weird. I just use it to purchase AA tickets, generally; and, a Macy's store card that is also an Amex card. I never use it as an Amex card anywhere, just as a Macy's store card, as they always have crazy %off promos when it at Macy's.

For my everyday household purchases, though, I use a United Visa, and for my personal transactions an Amazon Visa, as I shop there a lot.

I have three due to cross-brand-promotion - Costco only accepts cash or Amex, and the Costco Amex builds up cash back points; The American Airlines credit card is Amex, administered by Citibank, though, which is weird. I just use it to purchase AA tickets, generally; and, a Macy's store card that is also an Amex card. I never use it as an Amex card anywhere, just as a Macy's store card, as they always have crazy %off promos when it at Macy's.

For my everyday household purchases, though, I use a United Visa, and for my personal transactions an Amazon Visa, as I shop there a lot.

COSTCO also accepts checks written on accounts owned by the card holder. Checks must be pre-printed with the same name as is printed on the COSTCO card. They also accept ATM cards and process them as debit, even if your ATM card is technically not a debit card. Those are the only two ways I pay at COSTCO. I certainly don't carry around hundreds of dollars any more.

COSTCO also accepts checks written on accounts owned by the card holder. Checks must be pre-printed with the same name as is printed on the COSTCO card. They also accept ATM cards and process them as debit, even if your ATM card is technically not a debit card. Those are the only two ways I pay at COSTCO. I certainly don't carry around hundreds of dollars any more.
Checks? If I want to pay directly from my checking account, I'll just use my debit card. It's 2014. But, I prefer the cash back from the Costco Amex, which I pay in full monthly, so no interest fees.

BTW, paying for stuff at a cashier with a check is like paying with livestock. I'm always annoyed when I get stuck behind some geezer on a checkout line puling out their parchment and quill to offer payment via bank draft. It's especially kind of them not to pre-fill any of the information before the items are bagged. It's understandable, I suppose, what with them not having to think about anybody else because they are the only people in the world.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts