DISH not required to give credits when channels go dark...

There is no service contract if you OWN your equipment is what he's saying.
Plus the FLEX TV prepaid option.

That is not the case with Directv because you are not aloud to start new service without having 1 leased receiver on the account.
True

Sent from my SM-G920V using the SatelliteGuys app!

And public transit agencies DO NOT MAKE CHANGE. Meaning, if the fare is $1, and all you have is a $5 bill, well, this is part of the "terms of use" or agreement when using most public transit agencies. And no, I am unaware of any public transit agency in this country (excluding some commuter railroads that may have very narrow refund policy) who will refund, offer credit, or any discounts for not getting you to your destination on time or inferior experience such as trouble makers and crime on such transit services.

Yeah, it is in the contract for all these MVPD's for them to pretty much do what they want. I would suggest either taking your money to another MVPD or cut the cord or contact your Federal representatives in Congress about changing the laws that don't seem fair or proper.

This may be true but the same could be said for indoor plumbing, cell phone service, electricity and many other amenities and services. The point is who wants to do without, not me. :)
Exactly. You said "want". That's a key word here. Who WANTS to do without. They don't need it. They want it. And that, folks, is basic economics supply and demand and opportunity cost. Are the terms worth the service. Only someone who WANTS it can decide.

Dish has given credit in the past for removed channels. It was not much, but it has been done.

If the customer doesn't like it, they have the right to cancel.
I'll bet with every dispute, if the customer calls in and complains, they will usually get a credit. They know that 99% of customers can't be bothered to call though and Dish knows it. I guess what was wanted was automatic credits.

Reactions: pattykay
A Billion dollar corporation?
With myself as the only share holder?
Well, your previous post said "even if you had the money" so I thought your hypothetical didn't depend on the amount. However, there are "mom and pop" cable companies (at least in my area). Why not buy one of them and start your dynasty?

If people don't like the agreements, then go with cable. Most of them tend not to require a two year contract. It's really quite simple. If your provider has too many disputes for you, then just switch providers.

Two year commitment is not the issue. You wont get a reduction in cost from a cable company that drops a channel - that's a terms of service issue. You can leave a cable company or a satellite company anytime if you don't like the channel offerings, but that wont get you out of commitment penalties, there to offset equipment and set up cost.

Exactly. You said "want". That's a key word here. Who WANTS to do without. They don't need it. They want it. And that, folks, is basic economics supply and demand and opportunity cost. Are the terms worth the service. Only someone who WANTS it can decide.
Good post. It's unfortunate that the principles of supply and demand don't apply to the negotiations and agreements between the content owners and MVPDs, however.

Good post. It's unfortunate that the principles of supply and demand don't apply to the negotiations and agreements between the content owners and MVPDs, however.
They don't? The problem is the "supply" is low and the "demand" is high (for a given channel). Therefore, the price goes up.

Is the demand for the service greater than the number of companies to supply the service. The answer is yes, and that is why people will continue to pay and accept those terms. That is also why this decision by the 8th circuit court is so huge, and in my opinion, a good one.

No, the "demand" for one channel is high, but the conglomerate that owns that one popular channel extorts the MVPD into carrying their other non-popular channels, thus artificially inflating the price of many channels.
I agree. But the demand for a single channel (meaning limited supply) results in the cost going up. Part of that cost is the non-popular channels.

I'll bet with every dispute, if the customer calls in and complains, they will usually get a credit. They know that 99% of customers can't be bothered to call though and Dish knows it. I guess what was wanted was automatic credits.
Dish used to do that in the case of local channels, back when locals didn't get dropped very often. It was a $1 per month credit for every major network affiliate that was dropped. Dish apparently decided that they would rather give larger credits to the relatively few people who would complain, instead of automatically giving the smaller credit to everyone in the market, whether they watch the channel or not. This way, both sides (Dish and the customer) end up happier, because the customers who complain get a larger discount, and Dish still saves money overall by not giving out as much total in credits.

Reactions: dare2be
Yeah, automatic credits are foolish and today would only be done for good public relations. Giving credits pretty freely to the tiny, tiny number of customers who bother to call and ask saves them tons of money, I'm confident !

Exactly

To further prove this remember when Dish dropped lifetime a few years ago?

They left the EPG logo and guide data as lifetime but replaced the programming with women's entertainment.

I doubt very few customers actually noticed.

On the other hand if they put up a big slate saying channel removed, then customers call all day and complain because they want a credit.

How many of us who had or have Dish called in to complain during a dispute just to get free stuff of credits.

Some local channel goes down and they offer free antennas, and how many of you Called trying to get an antenna and OTA adaptor ?

Some local channel goes down and they offer free antennas, and how many of you Called trying to get an antenna and OTA adaptor ?
Getting credits or freebies for the sake of getting something is one thing, getting an OTA adapter or antenna is more of a direct solution to the existing problem.

Getting credits or freebies for the sake of getting something is one thing, getting an OTA adapter or antenna is more of a direct solution to the existing problem.
Its the same thing.
Its still asking for a hand out.

A direct solution to the problem would be use your TV tuner.
Or pay for your adapter , that works too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts