Dish NW 110 and 119 Problem in RV

rkassl

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 16, 2004
Wisconsin
Let me set the stage, I have a 322 in our RV with a tripod that has a center level so I know I am plumb vertical. I even set one leg of the tripod due south to help me with my orientation to the open sky. Just got back from a 6000 mile trip over 13 western states. As we traveled across the country to the west and then south I got to see the various elevation, skew and azmuith changes. I was able to always hit 119 but never 110!? About 95% of our programing is on 119 so not too big of a deal. But what in the heck could I be doing wrong? When I tune the dush to the satelite I use a sat finder, it gets a serious signal obviousley after due south which is where my tripod leg is pointing. I fine tune the didh with the finder then lock in. Usually I get about 50 to 60 % signal strength.

Any advice from the pro's?

Thanks so much,

bob kassl

You might be hitting the 119 bird with the 110 LNB. Try a piece of foil over 110 to make sure when you are pointing.

Also make sure you do a check switch when moving it between home and the RV.

I went out and double checked all my numbers. Started from 180 toward 209, I slowed down and now habe 76% 110 and 62% 119. My new questrion is as you move the azimuth say from 180 toward 209, do you first hit 110 or 119? And are you guys saying if you have 119 you should have 110? I know this may not be true because I can have 119 and nothing for 110.

Thanks

Skew is a difficult task, I gave it up and set up 2 dishes and use a combiner switch. Wait until you go HD the 129 is quite challenging, but well worth the trouble.

I went out and double checked all my numbers. Started from 180 toward 209, I slowed down and now habe 76% 110 and 62% 119. My new questrion is as you move the azimuth say from 180 toward 209, do you first hit 110 or 119? And are you guys saying if you have 119 you should have 110? I know this may not be true because I can have 119 and nothing for 110.

Thanks

110 is more south than 119. So if you were swinging the dish from south to west you should hit the 110 first.

If you have your settings right on the dish you should not be able to get 119 without 110 unless there was something blocking the 110 signal or you had an LNB problem. So you must have had something off on the dish to be missing the 110. I would guess that you had the skew wrong.

Just to cover basics, it could be the LNB,coax or fittings. Also check for cuts in the line. If possible,check tripod mount with a real level. Those built-in jobs are stuck on with foam sticky tape a lot of the time and could be off. If using the 500 dish,try to find a dual LNB. To use for aiming. Just take off the existing LNB, put the dual on one side, aim dish, snug the bolts, and pop the LNB bracket open in the front, slide the dual over to the second sat. location and check signal. If settings of dish are correct, once you find one, the other will be there. The foil method will not work on all applications because sometimes either the meter or the LNB are non-selective of which sat. is showing signal. Could get same reading whichever "eye" of the LNB is covered. Something else I have rarely seen on here- maybe you have offended the satellite gods and they don't think you deserve both sat.'s!(HaHa)

what kind of lnb? Is it a Dish Pro Plus or a Dish Pro, running a single line to receiver, with or w/o a seperator? We need all the info.......................

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)