Dish NW In The Woods This What I do.....Can I Do It Better?

rkassl

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 16, 2004
Wisconsin
Taking the 5th wheeler out next week. I have a special place where we park our trailer, there is a "hole" in the tree canopy. I can usually hit 110 and 119.

Here is my "method", can anybody tell me if there is a better way to hit the satellites?

1 I have a tripod with an internal vertical level to ensure the stem is plumb vertical.
2. The tripod is set up so one of the legs is due south at 180 degrees ( this helps me with directions).
3. I have the skew set and locked, the elevation set, but not tight.
4. I begin to aim the dish by moving from 180 degrees to my right (to the west), slowly until I pick up a signal with the in line signal meter. Usually the first contact is with 110.
5. I will go in the trailer and see if I have acquired 110 and if 119 is anywhere. I continue to to slowly move the dish to my right and I repeat to see if I have both 110 and 119. If the receiver locks in both, I will fine tune left to right and finally fine tune the elevation for the strongest signal.

So this is how I do it. Specific question for you. While traveling the receiver has no power untill I plug in and start my setup. Is there a difference with a cold start as compared to holding in the power button for a reset? I never really understood what the difference was between unplugging vs reset. Should I do a reset prior to my setup?

To help this year I purchased the Dishpointer Pro app for my Droid X, looks like a pretty interesting tool to use.

Thanks for your time and suggestion would be very much appreciated!

I think its the same for the boot... thats about how I set up when I go camping, I havent taken my Dish setup in awhile as it's easier to take one of my Directv receivers...
Instead of using my tripod I have it rigged up (using cabover campers) where I can bolt a 2x6 to the jack mounts then use a standard mount with lag bolts and level ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)