Dish & NY Sports

AIsmail

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 25, 2005
Stewartsville, NJ
I recently downgraded my package from AT120+ to AT120. One channel I lost in the process is SNY, home of the NY Mets. Not a real big deal as far as I'm concerned cause I'm not a Mets fan but according to Dish's website the reason to spend the extra $5 per month is for regional sports. Dish used to offer MSG and MSG2 in craptacular SD so the $5 made some sense. Now it looks like subscribers are paying $5 for just the Mets. I'd wager the Mets are not getting the bulk of that $5 so I think Dish should stop charging so much or start offering the YES Network. Any thoughts?

yeah but Philly has one channel and until recently it wasnt available to satellite (due to the FCC loophole)
NY has 4 RSN's and Dish carries one????? They havent ever carried YES but the other 2 (MSG, MSG+) they did.

I'm kind of surprised that Dish can succeed in these markets without regional sports networks. At least among men I know, it's a key driver of cable/satellite subscriptions. I can't imagine sticking around for long if they got rid of my local RSNs. Their cancellation fees probably force some people to stick around until the end of their contracts when their RSN(s) get(s) dropped, but I've got to think people do so reluctantly, dropping to the minimum programming package, and bashing Dish to all their friends, before finally canceling with prejudice at the end of their contracts. I'm kind of surprised that Dish plays hardball with RSNs -- it's one thing to play hardball with obscure or little watched channels -- it's another thing to play hardball with a channel that is the key reason a lot of people have pay television in the first place.

yeah but Philly has one channel and until recently it wasnt available to satellite (due to the FCC loophole)

Until recently? Is Dish going to be able to add it soon? If so, to which zip codes? I'm in an area that's technically claimed by the Philadelphia teams as a home territory, though we're closer to Baltimore/Washington and get the Baltimore/Washington RSNs. Since I'm a Baltimore guy at heart (and root for the Baltimore teams, plus the Washington Capitals), getting the Baltimore/Washington RSNs is what I want, but I wouldn't mind if they tossed in CSN Philly as an extra for no additional fee, as long as they also keep the two Balt/Wash RSNs. :) The local cable company here carries MASN, CSN-DC, CSN-Philly, and FSN-Pittsburgh (The latter of which is available to dish and understandably not carried by them locally -- we're a long way from Pittsburgh).

Last edited:
The FCC closed the loophole about a year ago but CSN Philly is still butting heads with Dish & Direct on carriage. Now that loophole is closed D* & E* can ask to carry it but CSN Philly can set an outrageous price (which it sounds like they did) so other than the fact D* E* have the option to carry it (they use to not be able to even ask for it) they are no better right now since CSN Philly is asking for crazy prices.

This all very old news. The answer is simple. Dish decided not to pay what those RSN's cost in NY, and in the process lose those customers. It is a business decision. People are so quick to jump to the conclusion it's a bad decision. I couldn't disagree more. For instance, how many in that DMA even subscribed to dish, and how many of those dropped Dish because of no MSG or YES? We don't know, could be many, could be infinitesimal.
But there are so many threads on this already...

The FCC closed the loophole about a year ago but CSN Philly is still butting heads with Dish & Direct on carriage. Now that loophole is closed D* & E* can ask to carry it but CSN Philly can set an outrageous price (which it sounds like they did) so other than the fact D* E* have the option to carry it (they use to not be able to even ask for it) they are no better right now since CSN Philly is asking for crazy prices.

Do you think the Comcast-NBC merger conditions might force them to lower their asking price on carriage?

This all very old news. The answer is simple. Dish decided not to pay what those RSN's cost in NY, and in the process lose those customers. It is a business decision. People are so quick to jump to the conclusion it's a bad decision. I couldn't disagree more. For instance, how many in that DMA even subscribed to dish, and how many of those dropped Dish because of no MSG or YES? We don't know, could be many, could be infinitesimal.
But there are so many threads on this already...

Then why did E* waste all that money doing all those small local markets in upstate NY? Most people won't get E* without sports. They are missing a huge oppurtunity by not carrying YES

Then why did E* waste all that money doing all those small local markets in upstate NY? Most people won't get E* without sports. They are missing a huge oppurtunity by not carrying YES

Again, you are making an assumption first of all that everyone wants those sports channels. I don't doubt a fair amount do, but just how many? Second, it has something to do with an agreement that Dish would cover 100% of the market. They are not in anyway missing a huge opportunity. Are you aware if they paid what YES and MSG wants, all our rates would probably have to go up? Dish has made the correct decision.

Read some of the many threads on this. The real answer is probably to have the RSN's not part of the packages, and make them an add on. First, that would show everyone what they really are costing, and second, that will never be allowed by the RSN's because of my first point..... :)

The real answer is probably to have the RSN's not part of the packages, and make them an add on. First, that would show everyone what they really are costing, and second, that will never be allowed by the RSN's because of my first point..... :)

That is true; however Dish is really hurting their subscription sports packages too. With so many transplanted New Yorkers all over the country, there is no value in purchasing sports subscription packages like NHCI, because the four teams from New York State will not be available in those packages, and as for NY Baseball Fans; unless your a Fan of the Mets you are basically SOL.

I understand why Dish made a business decision not to get YES or keep MSG, but if they don't want the regular packages to go up, why not just offer it in the RSN or ala carte even?

It sucks that I have to keep Time Warner in Buffalo to watch the Sabres (in HD on QAM at least I can get the lowest package)... but I have to pay extra for this.. I would pay some portion of that to an ala carte package for MSG on DISH instead of keeping Cable!

Same with YES, I don't get that and won't spend the amount I need to get it with TW but Dish could offer it for $5/mo and we would be happy to take it... I need to find creative ways to watch Yankees games during the season..

...At least I like the Mets... my Wife however wants her Yankees...! :rolleyes:

I mean, I have been debating going back full time to Cable or at least D* to get all the sports channels.

Keep in mind that Dish had offered to carry YES ala carte and let YES set the price, and Dish was to pass the proceeds directly to YES, but YES declined that offer. What we need is Federal regulation that says that every sports station must make it's programming available to any satelitte/cable operator who wants to carry it ala carte, letting the programmer set the price.

I understand why Dish made a business decision not to get YES or keep MSG, but if they don't want the regular packages to go up, why not just offer it in the RSN or ala carte even?

It sucks that I have to keep Time Warner in Buffalo to watch the Sabres (in HD on QAM at least I can get the lowest package)... but I have to pay extra for this.. I would pay some portion of that to an ala carte package for MSG on DISH instead of keeping Cable!

Same with YES, I don't get that and won't spend the amount I need to get it with TW but Dish could offer it for $5/mo and we would be happy to take it... I need to find creative ways to watch Yankees games during the season..

...At least I like the Mets... my Wife however wants her Yankees...! :rolleyes:

I mean, I have been debating going back full time to Cable or at least D* to get all the sports channels.

If you add Dishes Superstations Package you should get some Yankee Games on WWOR. At least they did have some last year. However if you have super basic of TW and are able to TWC Sportsnet, last year they put the Yankees and Mets games that appear on NY Superstations WWOR and WPIX on there to, in lovely analog .

It's too bad people don't realize what has transpired on this and the demands made by RSN's. As one of the posts above says, Dish offered to simply make it A La Carte and pass the money (I 'm sure after costs) to YES. (Possibly MSG too, I do not know) They refused as my post above talks about.

As for switching, can't blame anyone who wants to watch their team for switching....

That is true; however Dish is really hurting their subscription sports packages too. With so many transplanted New Yorkers all over the country, there is no value in purchasing sports subscription packages like NHCI, because the four teams from New York State will not be available in those packages, and as for NY Baseball Fans; unless your a Fan of the Mets you are basically SOL.

I am not familiar how NHL Center Ice works, but if you are not in the NY DMA, wouldn't you indeed get the NY teams if you subscribed?

As for being SOL with NY teams, you are this year anyway. :D:D

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/

I hate to admit it, but I see more of a point of carrying YES over any of the other New York RSNs. The Yankees (swalling my vomit) are a very popular team and I would say that carrying YES would brig up the amount of subs. As for CI, every team is carried in SD to out of market people. HD feeds are only carried for RSNs that Dish offers. Reason is, that the NHL and NBA only send the SD feeds to the sat/cable companies. This is why Comcast in my area doesn't broadcast any HD games on CI, LP, or EI. By the way, I wouldn't say New York Dish subs are SOL. I'd say their JWF!

I like the idea of MSG ala carte. If you want it, it's there to pay for and let most of the money go to the greedy Dolan's. (And yes, I know they want FUSE back on DISH). If not, then don't buy it. But at least have it as an option, especially for those of us who want to watch their hometown team (the Sabres) in their hometown.

I re-tuned my TV and found the Sabres game via the $12 TWC package. I had thought about dropping it but with that, TW Sports (Ch. 13) showing Buffalo Bandits (NLL) games, YNN, the Canadian stations, PBS in HD, and now the 2 LIN stations, I can actually make a case to the Mrs. for keeping it.

:eek:k:

I am not familiar how NHL Center Ice works, but if you are not in the NY DMA, wouldn't you indeed get the NY teams if you subscribed?

As for being SOL with NY teams, you are this year anyway. :D:D

The Official Site of The Boston Red Sox | redsox.com: Homepage

You wouldn't get the Yankees on Yes or any of the teams (Sabres, Rangers, Devils and Islanders) whom are on MSG because Dish doesn't carry those channels. Also, if you lived in those teams DMA, even if you subbed to the Sports Subscription, i.e. NHLCI, you would be blacked out of those teams games, unless they are on National TV (NBC or Versus), because you are required to watch them on your RSN, which you don't have access to.

Ohhh..FYI, I do have access cable and will see the Yankees in splendid HD romp over the Red Soxes as usual.:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)