Dish On Demand?

MrsHammer

Original poster
Mar 11, 2010
Kentucky
My parents have Dish Network and are confused regarding the On Demand options. I am a cable subscriber and our on-demand library has many free programming options from typical cable channels such as Discovery, HGTV, Food Network as well as HBO, Showtime, ect if you subscribe to those premium channels. So, if my kid wants to watch Dora at 6:15pm, then I can just go to the Nickelodeon on demand category and pick an episode for her to watch asap. My parents would love this but do not think they have this type of choice with Dish....can someone explain to me what is available and how to access it? I was at their house the other day and tried to find something about it on the menus...is it the Dish Online option? I found all the pay per view stuff, but that isn't what they are interested in.

The Dish on demand set up is more of a "Search Engine" type of On Demand, they dont have it broken down by channel such as comcast or Directv, its kind of a messy set up that I think keeps people from even using the Dn Demand section of Dish.

It's not really "On Demand" or at least, not the kind you're used to. If the receiver is connected to your internet service, you can access a bunch of poorly organized, mostly PPV movies and shows. They then download to the receiver, and you can watch them.

Ok, thanks for the answers. I really appreciate the quick responses. I must say that I'm surprised that Dish isn't more on top of this particular feature.

thanks~

You need high speed internet connected to the receiver for this function to work. When you select Dishonline from the DVR menu it will give you 4 choices to search, "just added" etc... When you select one, the list will populate. If you select "sort" and "free" it will put the free choices at the top of the list.(No $ sign on the right side of it). But don't expect much, because there really isn't much worth watching in the free section....

Ok, thanks for the answers. I really appreciate the quick responses. I must say that I'm surprised that Dish isn't more on top of this particular feature.

thanks~

You need to better understand the inherent differences in technology. With satellite there are much bigger bandwith constraints (there is only so much room on each satellite). You can't make an individual request that the satellite send you a program when you want to see it (which is why the "on demand" comes from what dish preloads on the DVR receivers or through the internet connection).

I agree that this is a big drawback for satellite but is something that they are working to mitigate through the IP functionality of the newer receivers.

You need to better understand the inherent differences in technology. With satellite there are much bigger bandwith constraints (there is only so much room on each satellite). You can't make an individual request that the satellite send you a program when you want to see it (which is why the "on demand" comes from what dish preloads on the DVR receivers or through the internet connection).

I agree that this is a big drawback for satellite but is something that they are working to mitigate through the IP functionality of the newer receivers.
I might add Dish could learn a thing or 2 by looking at D* VOD setup.

Its like going from a Yogo- to a BMW in the Satellite VOD world.

I might add Dish could learn a thing or 2 by looking at D* VOD setup.

Its like going from a Yogo- to a BMW in the Satellite VOD world.

Totally agree. Although the 922 interface is somewhat better. Maybe Camry vs BMW now ;)

I remember speaking with Dish Network at CES about the mess that is the current Dish On Demand system.

They seemed to be amazed that anyone would think its unorganized and were under the impression that it was truly useful....an eye opening conversation to be sure....

I didnt think the 922 interface was that much of a step-up in terms of On Demand quite honestly...

That is scary, and very disappointing.

I remember speaking with Dish Network at CES about the mess that is the current Dish On Demand system.

They seemed to be amazed that anyone would think its unorganized and were under the impression that it was truly useful....an eye opening conversation to be sure....

I didnt think the 922 interface was that much of a step-up in terms of On Demand quite honestly...

Thanks for the explanation. That does make sense, but it doesn't mean that I have to like it! I want to have my tv cake and eat it too I suppose.

I have Direct and used the On Demand a few times, but found that I don't even bother anymore. It just takes too long to download.

Also regarding the Dish on Demand menu setup, is there a practical way of removing some of these unwanted menu areas? Some areas might be of interest, but some are garish, overdone and repulsive. Though I have the adult channels turned off in the Guide, for instance, this area still shows up in the DVOD menu. I don't want it looking like a hotel ppv setup at home.

There is a way to search by channel. You press the DVR buton, then press 4 for all tv shows, then press 2 for search by network. Nick is an option, and I believe that Nick Jr. is one too. If you kids like Disney, then you're out of luck. Dish On Demand doesn't have them as an option, and we all know why.

Frankly Dish VOD is a misnomer. I do not understand why it should take hours to download, via the internet, a program. Netflix streams over the internet with out having to wait as does Roku, why would I wait for hours to watch an on demand program.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

Finally the offending item was able to be removed from rhe VOD memu. First, the receiver had to be locked... this seemed to enable the ability to mod the menu.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)