Dish on your Truck!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RT-Cat

"My person-well trained"
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Cold, Cold,Michigan USA
So when you make the attempt to convert a bud from a button hook to rods to hold up the ring and the feed you gotta get to the front of it. Lay it on it's face will not work. Lay it on it's back and you can't reach across it. So you stand it up and rope it to your truck!:eek:
Well.......it is working! Almost done with them.

RT.
ODD-Dish Mount.jpg

isn't that title mislabeled ???

shouldn't it be Dish on a Rope ?? :D
Good point.

What was wrong with the button hook? I have one on my dish, works fine?
Nice looking dish.
Arm very rusted, feed horn clamp rusted, base plate rusted, back plate rusted, most of the studs rusted and broke when removed, would have taken more hours to clean and repair than I will have spent making the rods. More fun making than cleaning. If it would have been in much better condition I would have used it. It is going to take enough time to clean up the frame and the mount.
Dish is in great condition.

RT

Right, lean it up against something and tie it off so you can reach the buttonhook. But take it off? Convert it to rods? I wouldn't.

Easier and maybe more secure to wire the scalar to the dish edge in three places. You can get thin stranded wire and steel loops with two inch rods coming off them which would work perfectly for adjusting the scalar exactly centered.

Edited

Ah I see. It's a rust bowl.

I have a Pinnacle dish with the same "rust bowl" problem. Buttonhook mount is just too far gone at the base.
Will have to convert this dish to quad legs but have already done so with an 18 panel Orbitron buttonhook. It really wasn't that difficult to fab up 1/2" emt conduit legs - it's choosing the attachment points on the edge of the dish for strength, rigidity.

Let us know what length legs & how you attached them - there are just a few of us with the same dish.

hey ya gotta do what ya gotta do to get TV

When I tested a dish once I bolted it to the bumper of the truck

Attachments

• 000_0115.jpg
    000_0115.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 180
I have a Pinnacle dish with the same "rust bowl" problem. Buttonhook mount is just too far gone at the base.
Will have to convert this dish to quad legs but have already done so with an 18 panel Orbitron buttonhook. It really wasn't that difficult to fab up 1/2" emt conduit legs - it's choosing the attachment points on the edge of the dish for strength, rigidity.

Let us know what length legs & how you attached them - there are just a few of us with the same dish.
1/2" emt is what I used. Did not want to drill a hole in the, well...... what do you call them? The curved metal "arms" that are between the pannels that come out from center to the edge of the dish. On that dish they interlock and did not want to disturb that connection. I made a bracket attached in the back side. Will post some pictures when I get some more cd's for my old camera. I finished them today and it looks like they should work. Made slots at the scaler end for adjustment(s). Focal looks good and they hold scaler dead center. Will paint them on Monday and start the takedown of the old orbitron. Working alone takes more time but can be done. It is too close to the road so RT cat can not help.

RT

Check Out my CBOW (C-Band On Wheels)

Attachments

• cbow.jpg
    cbow.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 177
RT maybe you could use that truck-mounted C-band dish for snooping wifi signals from a foreign country somewhere!
I taped a 2.4GHz feedhorn onto an 8' dish and pointed it toward town a couple of years ago. Logged a whole bunch of open wireless routers... What fun I had re-programming some of them! Strange people don't think of at least changing the default password!

RT maybe you could use that truck-mounted C-band dish for snooping wifi signals from a foreign country somewhere!
I taped a 2.4GHz feedhorn onto an 8' dish and pointed it toward town a couple of years ago. Logged a whole bunch of open wireless routers... What fun I had re-programming some of them! Strange people don't think of at least changing the default password!
Heck they won't even set the clock, LOL. I admit I have gone as far as to set someone's router clock.

Yes, I can point my Hawking micro dish at a house next to me, about 400 feet away, and pick up his router also. Wide open, not smart.
Well, I had a great day putting up the Winegard dish today. Not having too many leaves on the money tree, I could not gather the material needed to build a real lifter, so I used what I had. The only item I had to buy was the 12 foot 2 x 6 for the boom. All went well. Lots of up and down when you work alone on something like this. Managed to pick up one sat before dark. Will work on it more on Sunday.
Brex2001-I will post pics and leg lengths on Sunday and how I attached them without messing with the mesh support arms.

RT.
Dish-Lift 001.jpgDish-Lift 002.jpgDish-Lift 003.jpg

Nice construction crane :). Great idea. Safe and functional. A bit if ingenuity goes a long way.

This is what I came up with to mount the arms.
Brex2001, The rods/arms I made are 57" long. They will, as expected, change depending on where you mount them to the dish.

RT.
Dish-parts2.jpg

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)