Dish One of my worst financial decisions ever

darrencp22

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Lockport, NY (Buffalo Suburb)
I deeply regret leaving directv 7 months ago for E. One of the worst financial decisions I ever made. I made the move to correspond with my new HDTV purchase. I wanted to go to the provider that would provide the most HD options. I was sold to go to the "HD leader". I was sold by my retailer that E will always be committed to being the HD leader.

7 months later and a huge mistake. At the time I could not see my fav team on either service in HD (the Rangers). Now D carries MSG in HD. My favorite channel, SciFi, is now on D in HD. Other channels such as USA are carried by D. I also could not get HD local in either service at the time. D now offers, E doesnt. But boy oh boy... i can watch the same 3 shows/movies repeat themselves on the voom channels!

I would leave in heart beat if I could. I have an 18month commitment with Dish. I've ordered NHL center ice which is non-refundable as well. We're talking 100s of dollars before purchasing new equipment with D.

It couldn't be any more obvious to me that with the lack of any sort of plan or communication from E, it could care less about its customers. It obviously has little respect for Northeast consumers.

I will remember, even when things get better, what a misserable experience this was. And despite its superior hardware, Dish will lose me when it become financial feasible to. I will never recommend Dish to anyone.

Last edited:
Darren. I understand your pain. I did the switch also for hd. My switch was different. I had Charter. enough said on that. I still am considering a switch to Direct if things do not pick up. I am in a contract but that will not keep me from switching. I am going to hold out until May when the Dish Team Sumit is. If Dish would make some kind of an anoucement about its plans, they would calm the stormy waters. I do understand your postion. I would be feeling the same.

My parents have D* as well as my brother in law. I have seen the new HD as well as their HD DVR. E* may be behind them in HD right now but that wont last forever. E* will catch back up. The HD DVR from D* sucks compared to E*. It is not user friendly at all like the 622/722. If E* stays way behind in HD and D* gets bettter equipment then I might consider a change but for now I could not deal with the D* HD DVR for more HD channels I think we will get in the next 6-8 months at most.

E* has been behind what 3 months now? They will act but they need satellites up there so they can add more HD content and these things just don't happen in a few weeks. Granted they have not announced any plans but that's how they do business. I'd say be patient and things will only get better.

They will act but they need satellites up there so they can add more HD content and these things just don't happen in a few weeks. Granted they have not announced any plans but that's how they do business. I'd say be patient and things will only get better.

That's running contrary to what Scott and others have said, E* has room to add more with their existing fleet, IIRC the number is 10 additional channels that could be added.

That's running contrary to what Scott and others have said, E* has room to add more with their existing fleet, IIRC the number is 10 additional channels that could be added.

No one really knows exactly how much room they have since they need to leave spare room for failures. They could add a few more HD channels but that's about it, they need the new satellites in operation to compete.

Put your money where your mouth is. You don't want to switch back to D* that bad, now do you ?

Just pretend Dish does "catch up" and then pass D*. You'll be relieved, right ? Then, of course, D* will add more channels and pass E* and you'll go through this again.

I deeply regret leaving directv 7 months ago for E. One of the worst financial decisions I ever made.....We're talking 100s of dollars.....
Wow, what are you 13yrs old?:confused: If a few hundred dollars is "the worst financial decisions" you ever make........consider it a successful life!

R

Wow, what are you 13yrs old?:confused: If a few hundred dollars is "the worst financial decisions" you ever make........consider it a successful life!

R

I agree... By the sounds of it you are one of those people who aren't satisfied unless they have the BEST. That is going to change in this type of market every few months.

If your really that bummed about the whole thing, then maybe you've learned something, next time rather than cry each time the competitor has more to offer, just suck it up and pay the extra money to not have any contract. Then when you decide that you want to jump ship, you can do it to your "gotta have the best" hearts desire.

OK I think I'm done ranting now.:D

What a sad story. :)

I have switched between Dish and DirecTV so many times I have lost count. Both services have their + and -'s. Just pick the one you like best and stick to it.

I think the bigger point here is that there are specific channels that he wants and that is why it is so disappointing. Dish can have unlimited satellite capacity, but if they keep uplinking channels and not making them available for contract or other technical problems, they will never be the HD leader.

I deeply regret leaving directv 7 months ago for E. One of the worst financial decisions I ever made. I made the move to correspond with my new HDTV purchase. I wanted to go to the provider that would provide the most HD options. I was sold to go to the "HD leader". I was sold by my retailer that E will always be committed to being the HD leader.

7 months later and a huge mistake. At the time I could not see my fav team on either service in HD (the Rangers). Now D carries MSG in HD. My favorite channel, SciFi, is now on D in HD. Other channels such as USA are carried by D. I also could not get HD local in either service at the time. D now offers, E doesnt. But boy oh boy... i can watch the same 3 shows/movies repeat themselves on the voom channels!

I would leave in heart beat if I could. I have an 18month commitment with Dish. I've ordered NHL center ice which is non-refundable as well. We're talking 100s of dollars before purchasing new equipment with D.

It couldn't be any more obvious to me that with the lack of any sort of plan or communication from E, it could care less about its customers. It obviously has little respect for Northeast consumers.

I will remember, even when things get better, what a misserable experience this was. And despite its superior hardware, Dish will lose me when it become financial feasible to. F off E, and I will never recommend you to anyone.

Go ahead. No one is standing between you and the door but yourself.

And then when Dish does retake the HD lead, you'll be over on the DirecTv boards groaning and moaning to those guys.

I switched from Directv after being a customer for seven years to Dish Network. Some things I liked, but for the most part I've regretted it ever since. It has been about 4 years now, so I know your pain. (Why haven't I switched back? Because I don't have the money to buy receivers and dish...)

I switched from Directv after being a customer for seven years to Dish Network. Some things I liked, but for the most part I've regretted it ever since. It has been about 4 years now, so I know your pain. (Why haven't I switched back? Because I don't have the money to buy receivers and dish...)

After 4 years you would be considered a "new customer" for sure (at least able to get the new customer deals) - as long as you left in good standing.

I will remember, even when things get better, what a misserable experience this was. And despite its superior hardware, Dish will lose me when it become financial feasible to. F off E, and I will never recommend you to anyone.

This is what irks me about the business is the jump to blame because things dont move fast enough for someone. The thread title really is misleading as its not about the money its about you not having more with E as opposed to D
and your upset because right after you switched suddenly D became the one with more HD. So what if D has more at the moment ( key word is moment, learn it ) its well known that right now E is waiting to launch two satellites that will bring its available HD content up significantly from where it is now. E cant do anything about the not being able to launch right now because the launch station that is used was damaged by a rocket explosion earlier this year and other companies are also waiting to launch birds as well.

Much of this sounds like you did very little research other than to take the advice of one or two people who have a vested interest in selling you a product to gain a sale. I cant stress it enough to people to research research research before you buy or commit to a contract for audio/video/internet/telco/cellular services so that you know what your getting into. If you had been here on these forums back at the start of the year then you would have seen threads and news postings about how Directv was going to be adding up to 150 HD channels by 2008 over and over again, the commercials have been running on every pay and non pay television service provider since spring time in advance of your decision to change providers and most likely would have been showing even more on your service. And no Im not an E fanboy, I dont have either service.

This is what irks me about the business is the jump to blame because things dont move fast enough for someone. The thread title really is misleading as its not about the money its about you not having more with E as opposed to D
and your upset because right after you switched suddenly D became the one with more HD. So what if D has more at the moment ( key word is moment, learn it ) its well known that right now E is waiting to launch two satellites that will bring its available HD content up significantly from where it is now. E cant do anything about the not being able to launch right now because the launch station that is used was damaged by a rocket explosion earlier this year and other companies are also waiting to launch birds as well.

Much of this sounds like you did very little research other than to take the advice of one or two people who have a vested interest in selling you a product to gain a sale. I cant stress it enough to people to research research research before you buy or commit to a contract for audio/video/internet/telco/cellular services so that you know what your getting into. If you had been here on these forums back at the start of the year then you would have seen threads and news postings about how Directv was going to be adding up to 150 HD channels by 2008 over and over again, the commercials have been running on every pay and non pay television service provider since spring time in advance of your decision to change providers and most likely would have been showing even more on your service. And no Im not an E fanboy, I dont have either service.

Im not asking for the world. Im not a numbers guy here. I wouldnt jump back and forth just because one provider has more than the other. my main gripe here is i dont see anything being done... and I specifically see my region being neglected... no local RSNs in HD, no local channels in HD... but if I live in Colorado like Charlie, I get everything. I was with directv for 5 years before switching. I switched because i was sold (and MY fault I believed) Dish was the place for HD service. That Dish was commited to being the leader and staying the leader. That my locals would be coming in a few months (I was told this). It was a bad decision. Yes it was a bad financial decision.. i'm usually very good with money, but in this case, I was had.

My parents have D* as well as my brother in law. I have seen the new HD as well as their HD DVR. E* may be behind them in HD right now but that wont last forever. E* will catch back up. The HD DVR from D* sucks compared to E*. It is not user friendly at all like the 622/722. If E* stays way behind in HD and D* gets bettter equipment then I might consider a change but for now I could not deal with the D* HD DVR for more HD channels I think we will get in the next 6-8 months at most.
I don't agree with this statement, I am more comfortable with Dish Dvr Interface, but am getting used to the HR20 and it has many features I like and am getting used to, my thoughts and I have both active, It is like Apples and Oranges...

The truth is none of us really know what Ergan is really planning, and that may be the primary reason for Ol' Chuck not saying a word, while all the evidence (FCC filings, known coming launches, sealed deals on leasing sats, confirmed orders to build new sats, splitting the company, and his infamous quote at Team Summit that there will be a brand new all MPEG4 Dish Network service at a different pair of slots that was supposed to be a secret) seems to strongly indicate some big things happening 1st quarter next year.

Remember, our mercurial CEO was a professional poker player, and he has been quoted in several business publications saying that "we [Echostar/Dish Network] always keep our cards close." He has always run Echostar with a kind of secrecy not seen in many other companies. Ergen has never gone around tooting his horn early and has always waited until the event imminent before announcing it, unlike Direct TV who made promises and gambled that their satellites would make it into orbit and not end up like the two most recent satellite launch disasters.

Even when Echostar was about to further cement its lead as the HD leader over a year ago (since eroded of late as Direct TV is the current true leader, for now), and Ergen alluded to this, callers to the Charlie Chat were pressing him for details, and all Charlie would finally say was, "Look, if you like HD, and want HD, Dish Network is where you want to be. All I can tell you is that we're gonna have more HD than anyone." And he did. But that was a long time ago.

It is unfortunate that there were 2 launch disasters at two different launch facilities, the same facilities from which Dish will be launching their owned or leased birds, occurred. This created a backlog in launches and dates. Now, what could have been a lot HD content from Dish by January, has now been pushed back to the spring, most likely.

As for me, I know Charlie will deliver; he has no choice. And he always has delivered. Sure, I would love all the channels now, but I have to consider the other positives of Dish compared to Direct in my decision to be patient and wait for the new birds to get up and light up.

My goodness, it is going to be about 3 months, perhaps sooner. We will survive until then, won't we? It's TV, not running water, heat, electricity or even A/C. One must be a wise consumer and not make an impulsive decision.

I am highly confident that I'll be enjoying at least as many channels, perhaps even more HD content on Dish in a few months compared to Direct, and I am not counting Direct's TBS stretch-o-vision as HD content. In fact, I would prefer more HD content to more HD channels from not really HD channels like TBS, USA, etc. that Direct provides. And if Charlie doesn't satisfy, then by that time FIOS should be available in my neighborhood. I don't mind waiting just a bit longer to see what Dish's ultimate/real plan is. It might even involve a full MPEG4 swap of some kind. We just don't know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)