Dish online problem, figured out, maybe

pjsjeep

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 22, 2008
Tuscaloosa AL
Ok, I am able to connect now the my 722, but can't get the content or even confirm that it is connected. But, when I go to MY ACCOUNT - PROFILE/MANAGE RECEIVERS, it list my 722 with a SLINGBOX, I have the adapter. It shows connecting next to the receiver ID. When I try to EDITmy sling devices, it takes me to the SLING login page. That didnt work, when I finally got into the Sling Account it asks for the slingbox ID. Any idea where that would be ? Getting this corrected my get my DVR back !!!

The Finder ID is encoded on the page HTML source if you go into your "my account" page of the dishonline website.

go to dishonline -> my account -> right click in an area near your DVR's information line, "View Source" or "View Page Source" something like that..

in the editor that comes up ... look (find) for the word: finder

It helps if before now you have labeled your DVR's with names (if you have more than one) so that you can easily see on the same html page source, the name of your DVR .. otherwise its the R numbers and they aren't easy to remember.

unfortunately the finder is there without dashes.

Once you have your Finder ID (without dashes) you can also go to the following URL ... you *must* add your FINDER ID to the end of the url before pressing "enter" to go to the site.

http://8.7.94.68/rest/v1/slingbox/

when you put your FinderID on the end of the URL this is a sample of what you'd see (I've santized removing my personal info)
Code:
<Slingbox>
<finderid> [COLOR=#ff0000]...your finder id here ...[/COLOR] </finderid>
<name> ...receiver's name... </name>
<isRegistered>1</isRegistered>
<deviceAddress> [COLOR=#ff0000]**your external IP Address**[/COLOR] </deviceAddress>      [COLOR=#ff0000]**as seen on www.whatismyip.com[/COLOR]
<deviceLANAddress>192.168[COLOR=#ff0000].x.x[/COLOR] </deviceLANAddress>  [COLOR=#ff0000]**address of your receiver inside your network[/COLOR]
<devicePort>5102</devicePort>   [COLOR=#ff0000]**5101 is  your first sling adapter, 5102 for the second[/COLOR]
<numberOfUpdates>50</numberOfUpdates>
<[B]lastUpdated[/B]>Tue, 3 May 2011 16:29:40</lastUpdated>
<[B]lastUpdateReceived[/B]>Tue, 3 May 2011 16:29:40</lastUpdateReceived>
<[B]registrationDate[/B]>Thu, 6 Jan 2011 00:00:00</registrationDate>
<isPingEnabled>false</isPingEnabled>
<pingPeriod>1800</pingPeriod>
anything after an ** is something I've added to call attention to what is on that line.

Note that your Finder ID does change over time.. this is from when I first got the sling adapter, as you see the "registration date" shows 6Jan2011.

If you want to PM me your xml text info I'll look at it to see if anything shows oddly .. I don't work for dish I'm just an interested user, a dish subscriber like yourself.

Personally I'm curious to see if you get something or not ... if not.. then the registration hasn't happened or perhaps is corrupted in some way, and that there starts as the initial problem for you. Even if you get something, other than IP's and dates/times being different, there may not be any telling info.. maybe the version info will suggest something.. maybe not.

FYI, if you want to try the older stand alone application that would allow you to watch tv but not access your pre-recorded DVR content, I can get you a link for it ... you have to install an older version because *they* disabled the ability in newer versions of the player. Also you'll need your Password .. you get it similarly as the "view source" on the my account page, by going to the "my receivers" and then viewing source there .. where it will be associated with (use FIND to find it) "password"

edit: added some color to stand out better, and bolded a couple of lines, notice the "lastUpdateReceived" this would be when it received the "phone home to Dish/Sling" date and time ... and again this is finder id specific .. and since I'm guessing one of the updates, changed the finder ID on my sling, this is why these dates show so far in the past.

I couldn't find the finder ID of my 922 in the source for the Dish Online page but did find it in the source the Dish Remote Access page (dish.sling.com). I also found the number on the system info page. Not sure if the 722 displays the number for the external sling adapter though.

You should also be able to get your FinderID from the webslingplayer.txt file.

Your log file should be at (windows XP)
C:\Documents and Settings\_XX_\Application Data\Sling Media\WebSlingPlayer
in a file named WebSlingPlayer.txt

the _XX_ is your user name on your computer

Windows Vista & 7 are C:\Users\_XX_\AppData\Roaming\Sling Media\WebSlingPlayer\WebSlingPlayer.txt

Note: use caution posting publicly it does have your IP and your Finder ID in the file multiple times, PMs of the data intact or mangled IP / ID when public.

Someone with *your* finder id's as you can see, can get the XML page ... with that they have your IP address your FINDER ID, and they've got the ability hack away at your password (administrative password is hidden in the page too) until they guess the right one and get access to stream from *your* DVR.

?? Don't believe there's a call for hackers/crackers ??
http://slingboxexchange.blogspot.com/

Of course on that webpage, the concept is to "share" and they've offerd *non*admin passwords (ie guest account) ... the problem of course is that administrative passwords do more than just share and its not much of a leap given the IP address of a KNOWN installation, a given of knowing that port 5101 is setup to bypass our routers via "port forward" (UPnP) to our Sling Adapters (ie. the server in these cases)

Also, Slingboxes are only "sling boxes" because that's the generic term. And in fact most people having problems initially see their system listed as slingbox till the refresh is done and then it turns to "Sling Adapter" ... if it turns to "adapter" for those troubled folks.

5101 is for the first Sling Adapter, 5102 would be the second.

**IF** however .. UPnP held open 5101 for any reason ... even a temporary hold for the dish receiver and it didn't get properly seen as for that same dish receiver, then the very next port up, is what the receiver would try to establish for itself.

Somewhere the disconnect happened, either the router or the dish receiver .. I would also expect that kind of thing to happen if IP addresses change .. like maybe the router doesn't go through all its rules ... when the dish received its new ip, and realize the old one was setup for 5101 and thus release that port back into the wild..

To PM me.. just click on my name in one of the thread posts... and select Private Message...

In my case at home.. two 722k's each with a sling ... when I have a power failure that takes down both of the receivers, its a race as to which one will get the respective port first.. so long as power is stable, the ports stay with the IP's of the respective dish receiver

I have just the one sling. Hooked to my 722. I can sling live tv no problem. This is with the DVR issue most people are having. My ip is a static IP. how do I release the 5101 port

Then the problem (can stream live but not get DVR data) does link back to the same problem as others are having (see my most recent PM) I'm thinking since your sling is showing registered, it is showing all other means of on line and connected.. it just comes back to the problems we've seen before.. where the account doesn't connect data together .. maybe because its DVR content its stored in a different location and that location isn't connecting.. just a guess at that.

If you haven't already PM'd Matt or Ray with Dish IRT .. I would do so ... asking them to wipe out your account info on the DishOnline servers.. so that you can connect and hope that they refresh. If they say it won't fix the problem.. then they've already seen that it doesn't ... its just a matter of being sure they've tried it ...

As to releasing port 5101 .. if your firewall/router doesn't have a "delete" or "remove" link for that config line ... then if you powered off your router, and powered off your receiver... power on the router ... wait till its fully on line.. and then power up the receiver again... at that time the first connection attempt should request 5101 and get it.. but that's not a cause for problems in your case.. what ever caused 5101 to be locked up before doesn't matter for *now* because you are getting connected to the sling ... just the Live TV side and not the DVR control side.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)