DISH Online--Why? Movie Beam--Why Not?

bookwalk

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2005
I just tried out the CinemaNow on DishOnline and the PQ was not great on my laptop so I probably will not use this feature. I can rent a DVD and play on my Upconverting DVD Player and sit in the comfort of my easy chair, rather than strain at the computer keyboard--my PC is not a media center, soooo.

Now, with MovieBeam (if it ever comes to my state) is a $99 set top box that will let me download (piggy backs on digital subchannels of PBS, I think) an HD movie DIRECTLY to my TV in HD and watch in my Home Theatre!

So, what else can I do with DISH Online--besides watch small, blurry movies?

If you have a DVD burner, they say you can burn movies to a DVD, then watch them on your tv.

I did notice that section. That would limit the viewing to SD not HD and would cost more than the Movie Beam fee -- which allows download and viewing in HD.

Problem with Movie Beam is -- it's not widely available yet -- only large cities.

Would like to know if anyone else has heard of it or, if they have it, how it compares to DishOnline?

I think any technology that can base itself in broadcast of data, rather than some current technologies that require users pulling down data are the ones that are going to win out.

Landline thing sucks tho.

I don't have MOVIEBEAM in my area, so didn't know only 7 HD movies available. That is very disappointing.

Wonder if DISH will increase its Hd PPV selections?

At this rate, guess the HD players and DVD,s are going to take the lead in selection and quality.

I'm afraid my brevity comes off like bluntness. I was looking forward to actually adding this to my stack of electrified silica but when I sorted the available downloads by format and saw that there were only 7 HD titles, my disappointment dripped onto my keyboard.

I would like to believe that many more HD titles will be added. I just wonder if DRM is holding it up.

xbox 360 has movies to download in SD and HD and they're relatively cheap. Dish Online probably won't ever be as good as my xbox 360.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)