dish online wireless or home plug adaptor suggestions

sansha

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
I've looked at several of the major satellite sellers and don't see anyone selling a dish online kit. What is tried and true or recommended? I'd prefer wireless if there is such a thing (though I have security on my wireless network and not sure if the receiver will handle that) but if not that, then a home plug adaptor - and supposedly one needs a surge protector that supports a home plug adaptor. Which is why I hope someone sells the working parts bundledwith instructions. If not, what is known to work that I can buy online?
thanks

I just use a linksys wrt54GL router that I wasn't using and loaded a custom firmware on it. I already have a wireless router, so I used the tomato firmware and turned the wrt54GL into a wireless bridge. I used tomato firmware from polarcloud.com. The linksys can be seen at newegg.com by searching for "wrt54GL".

I then set the new wireless bridge to the same security settings for my router. I plugged a network cable into the ethernet port of my vip722 and plug the other end into the wrt54GL, and then set it up in the menu of the vip722 receiver and I am online!!!!

I'm glad it works for you, but I'm looking for a less expensive solution. The router you're using has a $1500 price tag

Surely someone is using dishonline and can recommend something.

I'm glad it works for you, but I'm looking for a less expensive solution. The router you're using has a $1500 price tag

Actually, the router is $64.99 on newegg.com. I'm not sure where you saw it for $1500, perhaps you were searching for the incorrect router.

$64.99 is a pretty reasonable price.

I'm sure it is less expensive than any sort of "kit" that is available. Homeplug is over $100.

Happy hunting trying to find one.............................................................

Last edited:
Goto to ebay and buy a Netgear xe102 for around $10-20. Then plug xe102 into the wall, plug the ethernet cable into your router and make sure your reciever is not plugged into a surge protector.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)