Dish or ComCast?

sweetbronxyankee

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 26, 2006
Recently my internet provider changed to Comcast I have been a long time dish subscriber but lately I have been thinking about changing to comcast do you think it's worth it? Has anyone here had Comcast I need to know if it is a good service please. p.s: I am talking about Comcast Digital Cable not just there Regular cable.

Last edited:
Comcast is very dependant on where you live and I don't mean like city, but the street you live on. If Comcast is coming into your area they are using the same lines the previous provider used. I switched from Comcast recently because of their slow response to a problem in the area. Average wait time on phone hold was 30 minutes and the time to come out was a week.

I really liked On Demand. Their DVR is OK but is slow to navigate and you can't search by keyword under show info.

They don't require a contract so you can try them and switch with no penalty.

In Portland OR I Have Had DirectvHD, DishHD & Now Comcast Digital With HD.
My Comcast HD Is Tons Better PQ Then Both Satellite Companies & The SD PQ On Comcast Digital Here In Portland Is Also Better The Dish Or Directv SD Or HD.

In Portland All Old Analog Channels Have Been Upgraded To Digital & All Audio Have Been Upgraded To Dolby Digital As Well.

wbuffetta said:
My Comcast HD Is Tons Better PQ Then Both Satellite Companies & The SD PQ On Comcast Digital Here In Portland Is Also Better The Dish Or Directv SD Or HD.

I had read where people who have switched from cable are disappointed in satellite PQ. However, I think that the SD on Dish is better then Comcast here in my corner of metro Atlanta. The Comcast installer last year said signal strength at the street was much lower then the cable provider he worked for up north.

The HD quality seems to very by channel. The HD feed on the local NBC channel last night of the Falcons game did not look that good. There was a recent Dish software update that affected the HD NBC feed here and there have been lots of complaints. Watching the same game this morning on the NFLHD channel looked as good as anything I have seen on Comcast. The same with Rave last night when watching Phil Collins and again while watching the Redskins, Jets game now.

Of course the one advantage with the satellites is putting up an OTA antenna and being about to DVR it with their equipment. OTA, if you can get a good signal, generally is the best HD quality.

Eight months ago I moved and left Dish for Comcast. I can not speak highly enough of their Internet service and from my experience their overall customer service. I however have little to say positive in regards to the Television service. In the Detroit area the picture on HD is very comparable to what I was used to with Dish. Even though I was not thrilled with the picture on SD with Dish, Comcast is terrible. I ended up splitting the signal to by pass the 3412 DVR and when watching SD have to switch to another Input, still the though the picture is bad.

I have little good to say about their DVR's. I have had a 6412 and now the 3412, both are terrible. They are so unresponsive it is virtually impossible to channel surf. There is no way to program favorites where you can surf them forward and backwards. The guide therefore has everything listed with no way to pare it down. When trying to go fast forward while watching recorded programs you may go fast or not, as the recorder does not communicate well with the remote. When trying to press numbers to go to a channel directly it might go there or may not. It is a extremely frustrating to operate.

For these reasons I have decided to go back to Dish. And oh, did I mention HD? As Someone else suggested Comcast require no contract and there is no start-up fee for the DVR, so try it and see if you like it. Your milage may vary.