DISH or DirectTV???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

8ohms

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 19, 2004
Florida
I have a DISH system, HD 811 & 522, but I would like to know the honest opinion of everybody in this forum who switched from DISH to DirectTV who they think offer the better service, programs, HD channels and equipment.

Thk

Directv leaves DISH in the dust for receiver reliability. You are leasing two of the biggest pieces of junk dish has produced, if you like them you will LOVE Directv. But you have to buy Directv equipment instead of leasing it, this you may not like.

Directv has a very good roadmap for their future HD vision. They also have announced the capability of local HD channels. DISH doesn't want to have any part of it.

How about some comments about the cost of moving to D* and getting HD. I currently have DISH with a 811 and 311 with AT 120 and the HD pack. I am pretty sure I can get all the same channels that DISH has in HD on D* plus some. My locals come from LA so I should qualify for any HD locals D* has.

But what would the move cost me? DISH was nice enough to give me all the hardware. What would hardware cost me from D* and what would my monthy bill be?

If you have never had D* before AND YOU ACT FAST, you should be able to get a 3 or 4 room setup for free. Add $299 for an HD receiver, or maybe lower if you get you HD receiver of of ebay. If you do that, make sure to add the HD unit after you get your promo deal done, maybe about 3 days later. Ask if the NFL Sunday Ticket and HD promos are still running.

Plenty of people here with lots of good advice. However I am looking for comment directly from subscribers to DISH now with DirectTV to find out if they're really happy with the switch. Also! Just a few days ago Comcast installed new cables to deliver digital cable/HD to my area. Are their system/package better than satellite?

8ohms said:
Plenty of people here with lots of good advice. However I am looking for comment directly from subscribers to DISH now with DirectTV to find out if they're really happy with the switch. Also! Just a few days ago Comcast installed new cables to deliver digital cable/HD to my area. Are their system/package better than satellite?

If your Comcast is anything like mine (Atlanta area), the quality is poor the lower channels (2-78), which are still analog. The Comcast HD box won't get OTA like a DirecTV or Dish HD reciever. The problem in Atl area is Comcast doesn't carry ABC, PBS, or UPN in HD. I get them all of my locals in digital OTA and its great. There are two good things about Comcast though. 1st is they offer the HD/DVR box for $10 month, which is much cheaper than D*'s HD-Tivo box for $800+. Comcast also has (or is adding) video-on-demand in most areas. Its nice to be able to watch Premium (HBO/Show) movies and series at your leisure. As far as the poor quality analog stations, there are rumors that they will be switching to all digital sometime in the next year, but its just a rumor.

OK, here's my comments. I was a D* customer that went to E* when D* didn't have Showtime-HD, E* did and said they were the HD leader, and since they did have more HD then D* I switched.

The first thing I noticed was the user interface on the 6000, after having a Mits HR400 STB was like going from a Playstation 2 to an Atari 2600. On D* I had a full program guide, include my local OTA digital stations, on E* all it said was local digital. I took E* at it's word that they would be adding the OpenTV interface to the 6K, hell the box even had the Open TV logo on the back of it. That was my first taste of E* saying on thing and doing another.

While on E*, the HD leader, D* added HDNet, then HDNet and ESPN-HD, E* added WCBS/KCBS-DT feeds, but my local CBS station was HD so that really didn't matter. But wait, E*'s coming out with SuperDish late 2003 and 105 would allow us to do up to 50 channels of HD.

When the 811 came out I looked over it's feature list and purchased one right way. IMHO it was a POS (purchased 12/2003), constant hangs, OTA NTSC channels looked like hell, ATSC stations that my 6K could receive the 811 wouldn't (49% bug). Even the 'unlimited' number of favorites didn't work and the channel recall button didn't work between DBS channels and OTA. The E* on a CC said no new HD, no compelling content and 105 started to fill up with LIL's.

So I went back to D*, the main reason being the reliability of their hardware/software. When I turn on the TV to watch a show I don't want to have to reset the STB, run check switches, remember to not leave it on a OTA station because if you did then hit the guide button you sit for a number of minutes waiting for an update. Since going back I've had the HNS E86, no problems, a Sony HD300 (got it for the DVI output and it was $299), the software it came with hung three times, but no more hangs since a software upgrade. I've had the DirecTV HR10-250 since May and not once have I had to reset it our watch it reboot on its own. It's recorded every show that I've asked it to and it's not lost any recordings. All the D* HD boxes have the channel guide for all OTA stations and I don't have to pay for a LIL package to get the guide on the HR10-250 (unlike the 921). I also have to standard def D* Tivo's, one that I've upgraded with a 160GB harddrive and I've had no problems with them.

As for programming, like all HD customer I'd wish they'd add more. We're all keeping our fingers crossed that as soon as NFL Sunday Ticket ends that we'll be seeing more channels. We know they can do it since they've done 4 or 5 simultanious NFL-ST games in HD so they have the bandwidth.

As for customer service, no problems any times that I've had to call in.

I will say there are some things that I miss from E*, like RF remotes on their high end hardware (why doesn't the HR10-250 have it) and caller ID. E* hardware does tend to try to be leading edge, like the 522, but based on what I've seen they can't carry through on their implementation and end up with way too many bugs for a consumer product. Given enough time they'll eventually get it working by I don't think that their customers should be a substution for a beta test program.

IMHO, D* is a much better company then E*. They tend to deliver on what they say (where's the firewall on the 921 that E* advertised as a feature), if you can switch I would, you'll be much happer.

I also was with D*, switched to E* for the PVR (501) that D* did not have and the "future" of HD. I could not stand the hardware I used with E*, I longed for the features and functionallity of my D* receivers.

Once my 1-year commitment to E* expired, D* had UltimateTV from Microsoft. I switched and was very happy with the hardware available form D* as I knew I would be. I now have 4 total DVR's on my account, including the HR10-250.

HR10-250: Very expensive, however, it is currently the ONLY HD DVR on the market that will do what it does. 2 SAT feeds, 2 OTA feeds and one heck of a great GUI ... TiVo. I will never go back to Dish.

Dish or DirecTv

8ohms said:

I've had both E* (6000 with 8VSB/PSK. 2 4900s and 1 2700) and now D* (1 HD Tivo, 1 SD Tivo and 2 Hughes receivers).

The picture quality on both was better than my local cable company for less money. In terms of reliability/stability of receivers (especially the DVRs) D* has it all over E*. My HD Tivo has been perfect and I was one of the first adopters back in April of this year. D* also has more HD plans for 2005 that should serve to make them the leader in HD by a huge margin.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

why do you guys have to have rf remotes?????? i get sick of hearing from echojunk guys about the great rf remote and that junk ird that programs two tvs, oh wait ,,,,,i forgot ,,,,,,you will save 60.00 per year not having to pay the addl. reciever fee ,,,,,wow FIFTEEN CENTS PER DAY,, how pathetic, just like charlie

I switched from Dish to Directv last month. I don't have HD so I don't know how much my experience will help you.

The equipment is a wash. I had a 721 and now have a directivo. Yes, the name-based recording and associated features on the Tivo are great. But the Tivo has it's faults - just check Tivocommunity.com for the thread on the loss of color problem. And it is dog slow, although there is an upcoming software upgrade that is supposed to speed it up. And it is missing some basic features such as a stop button, a "start over" option for viewing recordings, and telling you how much disk space you have left.

The service seems to be fine, I haven't had any problems so far. As for programming, they both have the channels we want. The Sunday Ticket is a huge plus since I'm a Jets fan living in Denver, so I'll probably get it next year. The reason we switched is my wife works for Qwest and now that Qwest has a partnership with Directv, we can get an employee discount on direct so it's a bit cheaper than Dish for us.

The RF remote is important as many people have their recicers insides cabinets, in closets even in seperate rooms. With RF remotes they can control them no matter where they put them.

With infared you need to have line of site to the receiver.

RF gives you a lot more options on where you can place your equipment.

I will gladly take Season Pass (Name Based Recording) over a stop button and a start over button any day.

True it may be slow but you have to remember it's a hard drive. Your computer would do the same thing over time.

Scott Greczkowski said:
The RF remote is important as many people have their recicers insides cabinets, in closets even in seperate rooms. With RF remotes they can control them no matter where they put them.

With infared you need to have line of site to the receiver.

RF gives you a lot more options on where you can place your equipment.

SCOTT ??????what on earth is a recicer :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts