Dish or Directv??

bdog03

Original poster
Oct 26, 2011
OSU country!
I have been contemplating getting rid of my cable for a long time, and now i think is THE TIME. Paying $150 amonth for cable & Internet is killing me....And i dont even get any premium channels (HBO, Showtime, etc.).
I am looking for the best promo deal to switch to....The after 12month deal should be pretty good as well. I realize i will be paying for broadband through cable, but thats ok.....
Here is what i watch......All sports (minus soccer...not a sport in my book.....lol), all HD programming possible , locals, no movie channels really needed. Right now i never leave the rhealm of my HD programming area.
I search online and there are absolutley TONS of offers....Whats legit and what is not??
I am looking to spend around $50-60 a month after the 12 month suck-in offer. Fairly low startup cost. No or short term contract.....Asking a lot i know, but if anyone would know, it would be you guys out here.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!!!

I'm afraid you're not going to get any deals of any kind from either without a 2 year commitment. In fact, your start-up will be even higher with activation fees.

I have been contemplating getting rid of my cable for a long time, and now i think is THE TIME. Paying $150 amonth for cable & Internet is killing me....And i dont even get any premium channels (HBO, Showtime, etc.).
I am looking for the best promo deal to switch to....The after 12month deal should be pretty good as well. I realize i will be paying for broadband through cable, but thats ok.....
Here is what i watch......All sports (minus soccer...not a sport in my book.....lol), all HD programming possible , locals, no movie channels really needed. Right now i never leave the rhealm of my HD programming area.
I search online and there are absolutley TONS of offers....Whats legit and what is not??
I am looking to spend around $50-60 a month after the 12 month suck-in offer. Fairly low startup cost. No or short term contract.....Asking a lot i know, but if anyone would know, it would be you guys out here.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!!!

uuummmm nothing? put up an antenna?

but if you want sports in hd, thats directv
locals, check the sites and see who has yours
how many tvs? do you want a dvr?
no contract and low startup do not go together
figure after 1 year your going to be closer to the $100 unless you have the smallest packages offered, and then your sports is limited
unless you get a sports pack

If you are looking for better priced packages I would go with Dish. If you prefer sports over price then DTV might be better. After all the promos Dish usually has the cheaper price. If all you want is HD then I recommend the Dish America Silver package for $49.99 after promos. It's pretty much all HD and has some sports channels. It includes HD so you don't have to sign up for C.C. Autopay to get Free HD. You can also take advantage of the Blockbuster promo and the free HBO, Cinemax & Starz. If you need more sports channels I belive you can add the multi-sports package for $7.

Either way you're gonna be in a 2 year commitment, so weigh your options, programming packages, and the equipment you need/want before you make a final decision. I think in the long run Dish will be a little bit cheaper. Not a lot, but every buck counts.

DirecTv. DISH and movies are a solid mix......DISH and sports are not.

It depends on what you want for sports. I have everything I need for sports. All the ESPNs, all the Fox Sports channels, all the Comcast channels, Big Ten Network, SPEED, NFL Network, NHL Network, NBA channel, MBL TV, CBS College Sports, USA, WGN, TBS, FOX, CBS, NBC, Outdoor channel, Sportsman channel, WFN, Golf channel, Horse Racing TV, Fox Soccer channel, Tennis channel, Versus, and NFL Redzone. I may have missed one or two but that is a ton of sports if you ask me and almost all of it in HD.

If you are looking for better priced packages I would go with Dish. If you prefer sports over price then DTV might be better. After all the promos Dish usually has the cheaper price. If all you want is HD then I recommend the Dish America Silver package for $49.99 after promos. It's pretty much all HD and has some sports channels. It includes HD so you don't have to sign up for C.C. Autopay to get Free HD. You can also take advantage of the Blockbuster promo and the free HBO, Cinemax & Starz. If you need more sports channels I belive you can add the multi-sports package for $7.

yes you can add multi-sport to Dish Silver

Funny but Dish should call silver "Dish Sports + some extra channels" because the difference in programming from Dish America to Silver is mainly sports
ANIMAL PLANET
BIG TEN NETWORK-available in Big10 markets...rest is in sports pack
BRAVO
CBS COLLEGE
GOLF
LIFETIME MOVIE
LOCAL RSN
MLB NET
MSNBC
NBA TV
NFL NET

NHL NET
WGN..they carry sports

8 1/2 out of 13 channels are sports channels :)

I'm really not sure what else you can get on Directv that you can't get on Dish. I was a DTV customer before I switched, and I'm getting everything i had previously, including my RSN in HD for all games.

I understand you can get Sunday Ticket and the similar packages for the other sports, but you pay out the wazoo for them, and the OP is trying to save money.

I'm really not sure what else you can get on Directv that you can't get on Dish. I was a DTV customer before I switched, and I'm getting everything i had previously, including my RSN in HD for all games.

I understand you can get Sunday Ticket and the similar packages for the other sports, but you pay out the wazoo for them, and the OP is trying to save money.

24/7 HD RSNS

I really think those Dish america packages are a great value. Most people are not aware of them though.

I think they look like it too. If I ever decided to move off of Welcome Pack, Silver looks like the way to go if you want sports. (other than ESPN/ESPN2)

mainly its sports channels
24/7 RSN's in HD (most..FS Ohio and Cincy are game only)
The Mtn
Fox College Sports (they carry alot of FCS exclusive stuff not on the other RSN's)
GolTV

I think there are some movie channels that D* has in HD that E* doesnt...or something like that

some channels that are in the Platinum or BB pack that are in the basic package with Direcv

It really all depends on the customers needs/tastes and really what they can afford.

Then you are a lucky one. Just read the thousands of posts of no HD games, games joined in progress, etc. that most others have. I happen not to care that much, love Dish, but you can not deny Dish generally treats sports as the relative you have to see, but no one really wants around....... :)

You didn't say if you wanted a DVR or how many TVs you had, but with Dish you can get a VIP 211 and add a external hard drive up to 1TB and turn it into a DVR for a $40.00 activation fee and you don't have to pay any DVR fees.
The VIP211 only talks to one TV if you have more that one TV which you want to add to your account then you will need another 211 there is only one $40.00 fee per account.
But there several DVR which do talk to two TVs but they only do one in HD the second is SD only but there is a DVR monthly fee for them, as I understand.
If I am incorrect then I am SURE some one will correct me. I am certin about the VIP211 as I have one.

Yep. If you have a DVR receiver on account it's a $6/mo. fee. There is no DVR for the 211k with hard drive. If you have one HDTV and the other TV is small or just SD then I would get a 722k. If you have two HDTVs that you want to be HD then I would get two 211ks. A good three TV set up is a 722k and 211k. These are the most popular installs we put it. I always recommend getting the DVR.

You didn't say if you wanted a DVR or how many TVs you had, but with Dish you can get a VIP 211 and add a external hard drive up to 1TB and turn it into a DVR for a $40.00 activation fee and you don't have to pay any DVR fees.

actually the 211k is now a 2TB limit...was recently updated

I really think those Dish america packages are a great value. Most people are not aware of them though.

I do, it's dish america all the way for me, the cheapest 1, don't need or have to have anything more..........:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts