Dish OTA Module

I never had multipath issues on my old 722k setup. I think this MT2 tuner may be faulty.

Compared to my 622 the MT2 has a little weaker signal because it splits the OTA signal. I would imagine that's another plus for the addition for a preamp to be inline.I have noticed on mine if a signal gets around 56% it will and can lose the signal.Plus there have been others who said their MT2 got real hot.

Well, ran into some issues. Whenever I try and record two OTA's at once, it will yellow screen and say OTA is lost. Also, if I try and reset, it hangs on reboot with the acquiring signal screen. If I pull the MT2, it boots fine.

This has just started to happen to me as well in the last 2 days and my MT2 module has been in service for only 2 months, as soon as the tuner 2 timer tunes to an OTA channel tuner 1 throws a yellow screen OTA signal error, I have excellent signals and use a distribution amp with outdoor ant. To correct I must then tune away from the channel and go back to the channel and then the error is gone. If you are recording then you lose the program during the error. I am the one who mentioned the heat issue with the module, it seems that the ch 3/4 out is always hot to the touch and there is no way to turn of the rf modulator, long term this extreme heat is damaging to not only the MT2 itself but also the entire surrounding circuitry of the receiver. If you tune to satellite channels on both tuners for awhile and let the module cool it seems to not have the problem and does not immediatly feel burning hot to the touch on the back of the module outputs. My receiver is kept in a 75 degree environment with nothing on top of the receiver on a shelf that is open in the back and front, if that is not sufficent to prevent overheating then there is a serious design failure.

For me I am most likely turning off my dish network receiver in a month and selling all my equipment which I own, the MT2 module is going in the trash because I would not risk selling it, I have had enough with all the quirks of the latest generation of boxes, constant spontaneous aspect ratio changes, software releases that break previous corrections, dish network is a disaster.

My brother ask me to ask you what 47 channels are you talking about? I did a TV Fool search of his location and there were at the most 20 and half of those were on the E side of the mts that block any access to those. He an E bay resident.

It's 47 including all the subchannels (I'm in El Cerrito, but not all the way up the hill). Hope my tvfool image pasted in OK; it shows 16 channels, which I can get on my TV using the RCA ANT 1650 indoor antenna. The subchannels include 9-2, the San Jose PBS channel, 9-3 another PBS channel, and I was interested in the 26-x, 32-x, and 38-x which are more ethnic channels (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese channels).

wcVY4lXHbhgAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

Image didn't paste at all. There is no way that you will get those w/ indoor antenna, you will need an outdoor. Too many hills & reflections in your area for consistent reception. The channels in green on TVFool are the only ones that you are likely to get. That looks like 16 when I searched it just using city name. I'm not counting any sub-channels, those aren't listed on TVFool. TV Fool

This has just started to happen to me as well in the last 2 days and my MT2 module has been in service for only 2 months, as soon as the tuner 2 timer tunes to an OTA channel tuner 1 throws a yellow screen OTA signal error, I have excellent signals and use a distribution amp with outdoor ant. To correct I must then tune away from the channel and go back to the channel and then the error is gone. If you are recording then you lose the program during the error. I am the one who mentioned the heat issue with the module, it seems that the ch 3/4 out is always hot to the touch and there is no way to turn of the rf modulator, long term this extreme heat is damaging to not only the MT2 itself but also the entire surrounding circuitry of the receiver. If you tune to satellite channels on both tuners for awhile and let the module cool it seems to not have the problem and does not immediatly feel burning hot to the touch on the back of the module outputs. My receiver is kept in a 75 degree environment with nothing on top of the receiver on a shelf that is open in the back and front, if that is not sufficent to prevent overheating then there is a serious design failure.

For me I am most likely turning off my dish network receiver in a month and selling all my equipment which I own, the MT2 module is going in the trash because I would not risk selling it, I have had enough with all the quirks of the latest generation of boxes, constant spontaneous aspect ratio changes, software releases that break previous corrections, dish network is a disaster.

Sounds like a bad module to me. My 722k w/MT2 has worked well for 2 yrs.

r10fret,

Your receiver should not get that hot, especially with the air flow environment you described. We should replace that receiver for you. Would you please PM your account number to us so we can setup a replacement for you?

My receiver (222k) does not get hot except in the area of the MT2 when it is installed and in use for an extended period 5 to 6 hours on OTA channels, purchased the receiver brand new, June 2010, never ran hot until I installed the module, this is the 2nd module I have tried (dealer offers 1year replacement), same results, I have also installed my module in a relative's 222k and same results when module is present, if I pull the module out and run either 222k for a day no heat problems are currenty present, if I run the module without tuning to any OTA channels the heat is barely noticeable compared to when tuned to a OTA channel, problem is made worse when both TV1 & TV2 tuners are used for OTA so I know the problem is the design of the MT2 in a 222k, not the receiver. There should be a way added in the software (modulator setup screen) options 3,4, need an "off." The heat is centered around the ch3/4 output and when you place your finger against the jack you can tell, I do not use the ch 3/4 and I do not have a terminator/resistor connected which can sometimes cause heat buildup. So my conclusion, 222k with MT2 is a mini space heater. Time for some bench tests by dish.

My receiver (222k) does not get hot except in the area of the MT2 when it is installed and in use for an extended period 5 to 6 hours on OTA channels, purchased the receiver brand new, June 2010, never ran hot until I installed the module, this is the 2nd module I have tried (dealer offers 1year replacement), same results, I have also installed my module in a relative's 222k and same results when module is present, if I pull the module out and run either 222k for a day no heat problems are currenty present, if I run the module without tuning to any OTA channels the heat is barely noticeable compared to when tuned to a OTA channel, problem is made worse when both TV1 & TV2 tuners are used for OTA so I know the problem is the design of the MT2 in a 222k, not the receiver. There should be a way added in the software (modulator setup screen) options 3,4, need an "off." The heat is centered around the ch3/4 output and when you place your finger against the jack you can tell, I do not use the ch 3/4 and I do not have a terminator/resistor connected which can sometimes cause heat buildup. So my conclusion, 222k with MT2 is a mini space heater. Time for some bench tests by dish.
Just felt my MT2 in my 722k barely warm. It's no warmer than the rest of the unit.

I have the 211k with the built in OTA module, it does not get hot except in the area were the OTA module is.

Just felt my MT2 in my 722k barely warm. It's no warmer than the rest of the unit.
I just checked mine and it is as you described.

It certainly seems that if someone has an MT2 that is hot to the touch that something is defective.

Last edited:
211k doesn't even use a MT2 is what I meant, so I don't see how that is related to a 222k with MT2, which has the module inserted right next to sat1 input which delivers the power to the dish.

The model suffice "k" is confusing. You might suppose it means "OTA-module capable", but the 211k can't take the module, while the 922 (no k) takes it.

Image didn't paste at all. There is no way that you will get those w/ indoor antenna, you will need an outdoor. Too many hills & reflections in your area for consistent reception. The channels in green on TVFool are the only ones that you are likely to get. That looks like 16 when I searched it just using city name. I'm not counting any sub-channels, those aren't listed on TVFool. TV Fool

Yes, but my original point was that I can get those 16 plus the subchannels when that indoor antenna is connected to the TV directly but I get nothing when connected to the OTA Module (only 2 by your count, 6 by the OTA Module's count of the subchannels of the ABC and NBC stations).

try manually finding them. dishs' finder routine doesn't always wait long enough to find a data stream if there is multipath. (this is on purpose)

Did you start the receiver the first time with the module inserted, or did you (or the installer) boot the receiver and let it do a software update then insert the module.

The second way is the correct way to do it.

You might try unplugging the receiver, removing the module, restarting the receiver but leaving it tirned off for an hour or so, then unplugging it again, re-insert the module and restart.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)