Dish painting

SBC/ATT had black covers they put on dishes to brand them theirs so black should be no problem. Paint needs to be capable of sticking to the metal surface over time. Probably will need to be roughed up primed and then painted final color so it won't peel.

I would like to paint my dish black. Will it hurt the performance? Is there a special paint to use?

Thnaks...

I remember reading some where in here that you CAN paint your dish, just as long as it is non-gloss. I think I remember that it needs to be matte(? spelling) because if it is a gloss kinda paint, signal would "dance" all over the dish (for lack of better scenario explaining). I am SURE other more experienced folks will chime in.

I doubt the signal would dance. Gloss paint, however, might cause focusing of the sun's rays and heat damage the LNB. There are certain times of the year when the sun is behind the satellite and maybe even times with the 15 degree offset.
-Ken

A flat Krylon "Fusion" spray paint, although designed for plastic, is supposed to work great on satellite dishes. Wal-mart and other stores carry it.

I painted mine camoflauge green over a year ago and have had no problems. Just make sure you don't paint the LNB lens. They sell 'camo' spray paint at Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, etc. in the various 'camo' colors, including black. They are ultra flat finish.​

Dish offers skins that will go with a 500 or 1000.2. Do a google search and you will find all kind of places offering them.

hahaa... chrome. :D

I got one of those dish skinz when I placed my order - the service rep asked if I was a football fan and what my favorite team was so I got the packers cover thrown in as a freebie. Ironic since they don't carry NFL :rolleyes:

The skin is a high-gloss finish but doesn't affect the signal to my knowledge. I did have to tape it on the edges though - every gust of wind would send it tumbleweeding across the yard.

Painted all my dishes with camoflauge paint from Home Depot 3 years ago.
Works great with no signal loss at all.

Makes having 3 dishes in the yard less noticable = happy wife

SBC/ATT had black covers they put on dishes to brand them theirs so black should be no problem. Paint needs to be capable of sticking to the metal surface over time. Probably will need to be roughed up primed and then painted final color so it won't peel.

Spray painting is fine, however those covers we used to put on for the old SBC/Dish accounts were trouble call magnets. We have been directed for quite some time to remove them if we ever see them. Water would get trapped under them, and when it heated up, the vapor trapped in between the dish and the cover would interfere with the signal.

The steel dish parts are powder-coated, not painted, so if you plan to paint one, you'll want a paint that sticks to plastic well (powder-coat is, essentially, powdered plastic that is applied dry and gets baked on to the metal parts).

Gloss paint, as mentioned above, will reflect more heat at the LNB, which can overheat it on a hot day. Use a flat paint.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)