Dish Partner Frontier buys 4.8 million lines

I'm surprised you don't have CTI Wireless or some other wireless internet company operating out there. We have them here in central Central IL because Frontier or any other DSL isn't available very many miles from the CO and that leaves a lot of people out of luck for broadband otherwise.

We do have that option...we have Adams Networks from over in Adams County but the signal still won't reach our house so we have to use wildblue. Of course our phone exchange has some of the worst phone lines in the state because we were the last phone exchange in IL to go away from party lines!!

We do have that option...we have Adams Networks from over in Adams County but the signal still won't reach our house so we have to use wildblue. Of course our phone exchange has some of the worst phone lines in the state because we were the last phone exchange in IL to go away from party lines!!

I would like to see them try wireless in this county. Population to sparse and terrain way to hilly. Thats cell phones are a pipe dream for many parts of the county. And with wireless, you need LOS to the tower! GOOD LUCK!

They make you take phone service to get DSL don't they? I hear they are very expensive and that we can expect our bills to go up $20-40 per month.

i work for frontier as an I&R tech and we offer standalone DSL, just call and ask about it

I would like to see them try wireless in this county. Population to sparse and terrain way to hilly. Thats cell phones are a pipe dream for many parts of the county. And with wireless, you need LOS to the tower! GOOD LUCK!

Yeah you are not kidding, heck cell phone service is at its worst in the biggest town in the county. It is a radio broadcasters nightmare trying to do a good ole WIVC contest outta there. If I know I am heading down there I usually bring a box of phone cable so that I can plug into the school system some how haha.

i just wanted to add the title is a little misleading, we have offered to buy these lines and Verizon has accepted but nothing is final until the shareholders vote and the local states PUC's ok it also

If someone wanted to, you could startup your own wireless in your neighborhood, getting a T-1 or fiber line and it would be like splitting the cost among your neighbors with the wireless gear. Get 20 neighbors and split the costs.

as one who lives where Frontier surrounds the rural communites I see great news from this. While frontier serves the rural communities they not only care about their network, but they do it with pretty good rates. In fact I believe for a bit not too long ago actually in the Watson, IL area(just outside Effingham) they had a promo where you got one of those ultra mini laptops for signing up for their DSL service. and from reading the story from DSLreports they will look at Verizon's FIOS idea to see if it would work in the rural areas. This IMO should be processed as quickly as possible.

as one who lives where Frontier surrounds the rural communites I see great news from this. While frontier serves the rural communities they not only care about their network, but they do it with pretty good rates. In fact I believe for a bit not too long ago actually in the Watson, IL area(just outside Effingham) they had a promo where you got one of those ultra mini laptops for signing up for their DSL service. and from reading the story from DSLreports they will look at Verizon's FIOS idea to see if it would work in the rural areas. This IMO should be processed as quickly as possible.

our laptop promo just ended, a netbook for free if you took DSL max with a 2yr term (well $45 shipping)

ya i do have a map, but i don't know if its supposed to be leaked, chances are if you currently have Verizon (old GTE/Contel) and live outside the city then you will be bought out

We were at my in-Laws today and they mentioned that Frontier was buying Verizon in the Midwest. This makes more sense reading everything here. I had asked how that would affect their FIOS since they have the TV, Internet, and Phone service and my Faher-in-Law said that they shouldn't see any change in service, just in the billing.

It doesn't make much sense to me since Verizon's FIOS service would have to "split" into the East coast support and the new Frontier Support. Maybe it will be the same call center, but the CSRs will answer the phone differently depending on the origin of the call.

We were at my in-Laws today and they mentioned that Frontier was buying Verizon in the Midwest. This makes more sense reading everything here. I had asked how that would affect their FIOS since they have the TV, Internet, and Phone service and my Faher-in-Law said that they shouldn't see any change in service, just in the billing.

It doesn't make much sense to me since Verizon's FIOS service would have to "split" into the East coast support and the new Frontier Support. Maybe it will be the same call center, but the CSRs will answer the phone differently depending on the origin of the call.

as far as I know in reading the situation, the FIOS services should not change one bit at all. Except it will be Frontier running it instead of Verizon. Actually IMO, if anything this could help to get more FIOS like services into the medium to small towns in the midwest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)