Dish Pass for new eps only?

omnibus

Original poster
Sep 11, 2004
I know how to set up a timer with the option of new programs only (2005 in the info box).

If it's possible to set up a dish pass for new programs it's escaping me.

It wouldn't be the first time something obvious has escaped me so please be kind :confused:

SimpleSimon said:
You should be able to download the NBR user manual from the E* web site - I think it'll help.
I looked at the NBR manual for this exact question...it didn't help.

I'm trying to understand why you would want this. The difference between a "All/New Episodes" recording and a Dish Pass is that the Dish Pass will look for that show on all channels where the other will only look on one. "New episodes" will only happen on a certain channel, so the first type of timer should do the job. Am I missing something?

I watched the "Battlestar Galactica" movie on NBC on Saturday.

Not knowing when the series to follow was starting, I set up a Dish Pass which found 5 or 6 episodes of the 1978 series on mon, tues.........etc.

If I could have set up a "NEW" dishpass, presumably it would find only the new series which starts this coming Friday night.

omnibus said:
I watched the "Battlestar Galactica" movie on NBC on Saturday.

Not knowing when the series to follow was starting, I set up a Dish Pass which found 5 or 6 episodes of the 1978 series on mon, tues.........etc.

If I could have set up a "NEW" dishpass, presumably it would find only the new series which starts this coming Friday night.
Interesting that you should mention Battlestar Galactica.. I discovered an interesting facet to our NBR.... I'm not sure if it was mentioned before.

I wanted to set up a timer for the new series. I found the new episode this friday in the guide and accidently clicked on "all episodes." Darn... I knew that there was a marathon on the old series and since the names were the same, I would have to delete the timer and re-do it... Turns out that it completely ignored (not skipped) the old series and the movie.. Only the new series was scheduled...

I did a test.. I went to all three flavors of Battlestar Galactica in the guide and set a timer.. I ended up with three different timers with three different series with no overlaps... This is not name-based, but seems to be "series based"

This is my theory, subject to more testing... If you select an episode from the guide and click on "All" or "New" episodes or from the "search" function, it is series based and will only record that series. Only if you do a Dish Pass will it truly be NBR. Does that make sense?

Wishbone said:
Interesting that you should mention Battlestar Galactica.. I discovered an interesting facet to our NBR.... I'm not sure if it was mentioned before.

I wanted to set up a timer for the new series. I found the new episode this friday in the guide and accidently clicked on "all episodes." Darn... I knew that there was a marathon on the old series and since the names were the same, I would have to delete the timer and re-do it... Turns out that it completely ignored (not skipped) the old series and the movie.. Only the new series was scheduled...

I did a test.. I went to all three flavors of Battlestar Galactica in the guide and set a timer.. I ended up with three different timers with three different series with no overlaps... This is not name-based, but seems to be "series based"

This is my theory, subject to more testing... If you select an episode from the guide and click on "All" or "New" episodes or from the "search" function, it is series based and will only record that series. Only if you do a Dish Pass will it truly be NBR. Does that make sense?

Makes sense! But back to my original question, If Dish Pass could be set for new episodes only you wouldn't have to find the new ep in the EPG.

CygnusTM said:
I'm trying to understand why you would want this. The difference between a "All/New Episodes" recording and a Dish Pass is that the Dish Pass will look for that show on all channels where the other will only look on one. "New episodes" will only happen on a certain channel, so the first type of timer should do the job. Am I missing something?

Will "All/New" on one channel look for instances where a show is broadcast at a different time than normal? Like NBC's super-size Thursday night programs or two two-hour broadcasts of "24" on a Sunday and Monday night? I'm assuming (admittedly, I haven't read the manual yet - perhaps I should) that DishPass is the best way to ensure getting these out-of-place episodes. Am I mistaken?

If I can count on these episodes being recorded without using DishPass, that would certainly be more convenient.

johnnymac said:
Will "All/New" on one channel look for instances where a show is broadcast at a different time than normal? Like NBC's super-size Thursday night programs or two two-hour broadcasts of "24" on a Sunday and Monday night? I'm assuming (admittedly, I haven't read the manual yet - perhaps I should) that DishPass is the best way to ensure getting these out-of-place episodes. Am I mistaken?.
You are. :) "All/New" will catch those time slot changes just fine. The only thing it wouldn't catch was if the show moved to a different channel, but I can really think of an example of that happening.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)