Dish Pause, cancel, locals only, and/or keeping receiver?

aperiod

Original poster
May 19, 2011
around here
I've had my account on pause, which has been nice because we still can watch our old stuff on the DVR. I'm out of contract, but from what I understand, we don't own the box. I know the pause feature isn't supposed to last forever, but I know we won't ever go back to the high-priced packages (or is there a way to keep doing pause?). So far we've managed with the OTA module on our 722k. Pause isn't supposed to include the locals, right? And if we subscribed to just locals, it'd be $15/month? Is there any option to let us keep the 722k with all its features like using the DVR (recording new things off the OTA module) if we cancel, or will the receiver totally stop working once we're totally cut off from dish?

The lowest package is the Welcome Pack at $19.99/mo. plus DVR fee and any taxes so about $30/mo. Welcome Pack includes local channels and about 40 other channels. Contact DIRT to get more and accurate information on your future with DISH.

Reactions: KAB
guess I was wondering if there were any hidden packages or things that DISH and DIRT don't readily tell people. So locals only isn't offered any more? There's no way to buy the current box? What about new/used boxes I see on ebay? Why do people buy those? Can I buy one on ebay and exchange with DISH? But will my receiver still function if service is cancelled?

IIRC, you have to have some level of programming, or the box becomes a brick (excluding pause, which only lasts 6 months). Buying your box is acceptable, as long as the box has a clean record with no balance owed on it, or is not stolen. Either way, if you cancel service, your box is unusable.

Even if you buy the dvr, as soon as you cancel you loose all recordings. Even if you subscribe again, they are gone. The dvr and ehd's are keyed to the account number.

You need to consider starting over with an OTA DVR such as Channel Master, TiVO and similar products.

Watch what you can off the ViP722 and record the rest to DVD (in real time).

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: TheKrell
You need to consider starting over with an OTA DVR such as Channel Master, TiVO and similar products.

Watch what you can off the ViP722 and record the rest to DVD (in real time).

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. The Channel Master OTA DVR should give you the features you are looking for and I believe the new model has apps built into for streaming shows.

guess I was wondering if there were any hidden packages or things that DISH and DIRT don't readily tell people. There's no way to buy the current box?
If there were secret packages, people would talk about them here and they'd no longer be secret!

Does Dish sell boxes outright? Other than the pay-up-front-at-sign-up options...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Dish does sell boxes outright to existing customers as well. And ps the pause has changed from 6 months to 9 months. Not sure if that matters to anyone. Also while on pause(atleast when I left) they were releasing software that forced you to be unable to use the DVr features(since you're not paying for that service while on pause). That's pause, non pay interruptions and full disconnects.

Even if you buy the dvr, as soon as you cancel you loose all recordings. Even if you subscribe again, they are gone. The dvr and ehd's are keyed to the account number.
Hmmm, that's not how it worked for the 512 I own. Had the 512 replaced with the 622. I had over 100 hrs of TCM programming on it. I plugged in the 512 and ran the cables to a TV. I never connected to Dish,did not attach the dish coax. When the error screen of no signal comes up I just press the DVR button and pick something to watch from the list. Nothing ever locked or erased. I guess you could call the 512 an oversized EHD in my case.

Your scenario is different. If you cancel, Dish may/can send a "kill" signal that deactivates the receiver and in turn, loses authorization for any programming saved on it. One thing someone can try is to disconnect the receiver from the satellite feed and then call to cancel. Even then, apparently with newer receivers (like ViP622 and newer ??), if it doesn't "phone home" after a while, the recordings are also lost.