Dish Phone line question

jmhunter83

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
I understand there will be a $5 charge for not having a line connexted to the STB's. I am planning on getting 2x522's and a 811, eventually upgrading to a 921. Will I still be able to get siftware upgrades and everything without a phone line?
jacob

Just to clarify... that 5 dollar fee only applies to Dual tuner boxes... the 522's for example

Yes all software updates are done through the Stream(Dish)

the 811 would not suffer this fee.

Keeping a phone line connected to the dual tuner receivers prevents you from getting charged the $5 additional outlet fee on the second tuner of those receivers.

Good to know. I will never get a dual tuner receiver since I haven't had a hard-wired phone for over 3 years.

BTW, does anyone know of a way to connect a receiver to a cell phone? Is there some piece of equipment available that lets me do that?

I know why dish requires the phone connection but you would think that there would be a better way since so many people are dumping their land lines for cell phones.

John Walsh said:
I know why dish requires the phone connection but you would think that there would be a better way since so many people are dumping their land lines for cell phones.

Would you trust dish to make the necessary hardware/software changes in order for their stb's to be able to recieve comm. via some sort of cell phone adapter? I DON'T THINK SO!!! They can't get things straight as it is already.

I was not aware of that, so could I lease a 522, a 510 and a 811. SOunds like the 942 is going to be a POS so ill just skip out. I am coming from tivo land, so I am sure I will hate life. Is the 510 that bad, how does recording work> (I am used to Directivo NBR)

You could buy a 522 if you want the second one on DHA. Just make sure you dont return it along with the other receivers if you are to shut your account off since you would own the 522 that you would buy. You can get the 522's cheap off of eBay.

For those customers that have cell phones with no land lines in the home, you can still plug the receiver into the phone line. Most phone companys leave the line active for 911. Even though you can't make a regular call on it, plugging in the receiver will work. If you have a land line in your house, see if you get a dial tone. If you do the receiver should work.

jmhunter83 said:
I was not aware of that, so could I lease a 522, a 510 and a 811. SOunds like the 942 is going to be a POS so ill just skip out. I am coming from tivo land, so I am sure I will hate life. Is the 510 that bad, how does recording work> (I am used to Directivo NBR)
What does DISH have that you would leave TiVo to go to it? I am assuming you have a DirecTiVo which runs circles around the DISH DVRs. :) With Directv you would have 1 $4.99 fee for TiVo no matter how many you have on your account, with DISH the charge $4.98 for each DVR you have in your example of a 522 and a 510 you would pay $9.96/Mo. in DVOD fees. You would have one glorified VCR and one semi name based flaky DVR with glitches. :mad:

Dave nye said:
For those customers that have cell phones with no land lines in the home, you can still plug the receiver into the phone line. Most phone companys leave the line active for 911. Even though you can't make a regular call on it, plugging in the receiver will work. If you have a land line in your house, see if you get a dial tone. If you do the receiver should work.
That might get you by the pop-up for a while, but it will NOT keep you from being charged the $5/month.

The box really DOES have to hit the E* server or the $5 WILL show up on your bill.

You could get a basic landline phoneline for probably the price your paying in additional outlet fees if you have two or so two tuner receivers.

Stargazer said:
You could get a basic landline phoneline for probably the price your paying in additional outlet fees if you have two or so two tuner receivers.

I don't know about that. My local phone service through SBC is just over $9/month.

yooper.mi said:
Monthly service from SBC costs me 22.45 a month wish i could get it for $9/month

Well, mine does too with the extras. The Caller ID Value Pak brings my monthly bill for local service to just over $23/month. If you'll look closely, you should see a line that says something like "Basic Residential Service" with a charge around $9.

chaddux said:
Well, mine does too with the extras. The Caller ID Value Pak brings my monthly bill for local service to just over $23/month. If you'll look closely, you should see a line that says something like "Basic Residential Service" with a charge around $9.
Yea the Basic Service charge might be 9.00 but after you add all those damn BS fees then the bill doubles.

thiggin2 said:
Yea the Basic Service charge might be 9.00 but after you add all those damn BS fees then the bill doubles.

I don't think non-required services such as Caller ID count as BS fees. If you don't want to pay for the extra stuff, drop them.

chaddux said:
I don't think non-required services such as Caller ID count as BS fees. If you don't want to pay for the extra stuff, drop them.
Sorry, I didn't mean those add-on charges, I was talking about the BS fees that they charge just to have "Basic" phone service like: Federal sub line charge, Svc Provider number portability fee, Federal Universal Service fee and ALL the damn taxes they charge for that "1" line. :shocked

I find that those charges are around $3-5 a month around here. I would think that one could get a basic line in some areas for around $10-15. If someone had two dual tuner DVR's then with the money you would save on the additional outlet fees could go towards a basic line if its not too much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)