Dish picture slightly wavy on 2nd tv...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Jen Lash

Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
(Basic set-up: Receiver is a 522. I'm a full-time RVer using a Winegard Carryout with 2 cords running out of the Carryout and through the window and directly into the two sat. inputs on the back of the receiver.)

A few weeks ago my living room tv died. It took me a while to find the same model to replace it with and in the meantime I got and old CRT 19" tv from Craigslist. It worked great. Very good picture. When I intalled the larger replacement/permanent tv (TV1) in the living room I decided to use the smaller tv to troubleshoot the Dish connection in the bedroom as I was going to install a flat-screen on the long thigh-high shelf soon.
Turns out I like the location of the smaller tv up high and I'd sort of broken up the base moving it around and know no one would want it so I thought I'd keep it for a while. I figured out which connection in the cupboard in the bedroom was for the digital antenna and which was connected to the tv in the living room. I have been running the 2nd bedroom tv on antenna all week and the picture is perfect. Once I got the 2nd dish remote programmed I was able to pull up the programming, guide etc...but the picture is -- it's like a tremor, very subtle, the vertical lines are a bit wavy...well, see the photo. Pretty annoying.
I bought a new cables for the connections that I can access. The good kind of coax -- RG-6? That didn't help. (These run.... 1.) from the connection on the back of the receiver to the right of the sat. inputs 1 and 2 (channels 21-? or something 'out') to the wall connection (that head out through the walls of my rig to the bedroom auxiliary connection, i.e. 2nd tv) and 2.)from that bedroom wall connection (coming from the living room) to the 2nd tv 2 feet away.
I pulled the plates off the wall where the undseen coax exits the living room and enters the bedroom and made sure the connections were tight. They were. So...what's next? Replace the connectors? Don't know if I can access these cables from the basement. I sort of doubt it. It's hard to believe they've gone bad down there where nothing gets disturbed. Could the problem be that it's a CRT? Is it harder for the signal to travel on to another tv? Is it like a power cord? Does distance matter? Might it be better with a newer, say...LCD tv?

My gut tells me it's just a connection issue. Slight corrosion over the years. ? My rig is a 2001, so the connections behind the plates are 15 years old. Picture on TV1 is great. Picture on TV looks good aside from the fine zig-zag tremor effect.

Wavy.jpg

Thanks much.... Please let me know if you need any additional information...

Having trouble following all the tests you made, but... If you can put any TV (including the small one) on the same coax as your problem TV and that 2nd TV works fine, then it's very likely the TV and not the coax. Fine tuning? Ground loop? Bad PS in the TV?

You by chance aren't diplexing an antenna signal over the same coax? Channel interference could cause that. Did you try rebooting the 522?

You could also try a different modulation channel. I once had some kind of analog interference going on and when I switched the modulation from ch73 to ch56 it cleared up.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheKrell
Thanks for the replies! I tried switching the modulation, could only do it if I changed it to "air" as the cable setting started at 73 and went up. Didn't work. I'm guessing it's the connectors.

The antenna signal has its own coax coming in from the roof. They come into the tv a few inches apart and I do have a digital antenna box set up but whether it is on or off seems to have no impact on the quality of the dish picture.

Generally if it's a poor signal you will get a snowy picture or lines passing through the picture. The picture you show makes me think it's more of a TV problem. Like said before me, swap that TV out with another and see if the problem is still there. If the problem is still there then it's a cable problem and if it goes away it's the TV. It makes sense that it could be the TV since it's a CRT, I've seen this before on them.

Thanks, but when I switch the same tv over to the antenna signal the picture is perfect. I'm going to run a line directly from the receiver to see if that helps. If it does, then I'll know the problem is in the cables.

I'm having that problem right now, and Dish took away all my boxes that were already 8PSK ready yesterday and loaded me with rotten boxes.

No point I. Starting new threads in similar issues. That's why te forum is so great. Multiple people can be helped with one thread.

Ok, very funny.... It didn't sound in any way related to what I was talking about. I didn't see "same problem". I read it as just "a problem". I have a mercury toxicity issues and sometimes read or write things wrong. it sounded like a newbie who didn't know how to start their own thread.

What is 8PSK ready?

I tried running a cable from the reciever to TV2 and the problem persisted, so now I know it's not the connectors or any cable in the walls. Tried one of those grounding magnetic clamps on the TV2 cord -- no change. Tried an amplifier. No change. People are suggesting I change the channel setting but I'm not sure what they mean by that. The modulation settings?

Yes, Chad, what's your point? I've been in a lot of forums the last 20 years and I think I explained my confusion with this particular post, can we maybe move on?

Thanks, Krell. I got a Dish tech on the phone last night and they're stumped so they're sending someone out on Tuesday. Thanks for your input, folks. I'll follow up with the solution.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)