Dish Placement

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

diitto

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
I am considering getting D*. I have one obvious (at least to me) place to have the dish located and that is at the peak of my roof at one side of my house, looking off to the southeastern sky from there... The dish would have a clear line of site to the satellite locations over Texas (I am in California)... My concern/question is this... This placement I am describing would be at sort of the north-western edge of my house and to look to the south-east the dish would more or less look back over my entire roof... Now that is not to say the roof would interfere with the line of sight, not at all... But from my ancient rf days (I am an electronics engineer but not in RF) I have old recollections about ground planes and such and how they might affect antenna signals... Would a roof being let's say beneath the satellite dish and extending beneath the dish for maybe fifty feet of the dishes line of sight up into the sky have any effect on the signal regarding just the fact that the roof does have some metal in it?? The roof itself is not metal but there are certainly metal components throughout the roof??? Bottom line is does the dish need to have a free and clear space directly beneath it or is it ok to have it look out over the entire roof of a house?? Are there any antenna effects related to having this roof beneath the antenna for some distance??? thanks...

You will be fine, no need to worry about what's below the dish. More of a concern would be what's above it. BTW the sats are over the Equator not Texas

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)