DISH - Please do not release carbon UI to HWS until more stable

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
There are general mailboxes at Dish that should be used. If, by chance, someone got the direct e-mail address of a person at any company, it's unprofessional to post it publicly. Yes, many can be found online or guessed at based on typical address formats, but what happens is people start emailing someone like Vivek about DVR error codes they got, their remote isn't working right, etc, etc. When things are abused - and those would qualify as abuse - they often go away.
Yes, you are correct, I certainly do not anyone to post anyone email address in this forum. I have used the general error reporting method. I thought that maybe some would know where/who to send our concerns to.

I have 2 HWS receivers and a Joey 2 using the old interface. Both HWS receivers have the OTA dongle. I have had no issues and everything works well.

Based on what I have read, I would lose the 4X fast forward, I would no longer be able to share PTAT recordings, and timers would become flakey.

Why would anyone want to give that up. Once DISH resolves all the issues, they can send out the new interface. I believe that they are intelligent and will wait until they fix the bugs. They don't want to alienate their customers. DISH tech support has been swamped with calls concerning the hopper 3. I am sure that they don't want to rock the boat especially since the HWS is so robust.

I have 2 HWS receivers and a Joey 2 using the old interface. Both HWS receivers have the OTA dongle. I have had no issues and everything works well.

Based on what I have read, I would lose the 4X fast forward, I would no longer be able to share PTAT recordings, and timers would become flakey.

Why would anyone want to give that up. Once DISH resolves all the issues, they can send out the new interface. I believe that they are intelligent and will wait until they fix the bugs. They don't want to alienate their customers. DISH tech support has been swamped with calls concerning the hopper 3. I am sure that they don't want to rock the boat especially since the HWS is so robust.

In addition the following capabilities are available on the current HWS interface but cannot be done on the new interface for the HWS or the Hopper 3: 1) There is no option to resume playback if a recording is still in progress. It does not remember your place and you have to start from the beginning every time. If the recording is completed you can resume but if the recording is still in progress no resume option is available. 2) The create a timer (manual timer) will not allow an end time of later then 11:59 pm. 3) There is no retained search history where you can go back to a list of saved searches to use again for frequently used searches. 4) There is no search filter Where for example do a filtered search for all movies that are upcoming in the next 9 days to go thru and select which ones you wanted to record. This is not possible on the new interface 5) On the new interface you can only edit timer but there is no option to edit event. This can be very useful if you are recording a series and want one event to have a different end time then the default for that series.

OK, after reading all this, somehow, I really do think Dish is not going to push out the Carbon UI for legacy Hoppers, possibly, ever, and will probably keep Carbon UI for H3 and later equipment. I don't think Dish wants to significantly break H1 and H2 satisfied Hopper experiences.

I would really like to contact Vivek Khemka. Does anyone know how to do that?

I think it would help to post email addresses that we can write our concerns to.
Given just from this thread alone (plus other threads), I really don't think you have anything to worry about. It is clear the Carbon UI is just not going to make things better for H1 or H2 customer, and Dish does not want a fiasco on its hands. And because of that, I have a pretty strong feeling Dish is NOT going to push out the Carbon UI to H1 or H2 anytime soon, if ever, so I don't think anyone needs to worry about that. I, too, find the loss of certain functionalities with the carbon UI as reported to be things that would make me very unhappy--lack of PTA sharing just ONE of the things reported that would make me quite upset--so I am with you OP and others. I would choose to just keep the current UI on my HWS and then gladly accept the Carbon UI on the H3 (without some of the problems experienced on the older Hoppers) when I order 2 H3's to replace my 2 HWS's. I look forward to the Carbon UI on my new H3's later this year.

I understand that Dish is trying to stay competitive and give the current Hopper UI (as often requested by several on this forum) a face lift and bring to us new and better options to keep us as subscribers and respond to some who stated the Hopper UI looked "dated." We shall have to see what transpires, after all. I for one wont' worry about Carbon UI coming for older Hoppers any time soon, if ever. It has been made pretty clear that it, from many posts, it is NOT what current Hopper subscribers want because it would lose too much functionality we have all come to expect in our Hoppers. I think maybe the Carbon UI was designed for the H3, and it was thought it could be rolled out to older Hoppers to keep customers happy. It seems that it is not working out for the better.

There is a big difference in softening a logo, and setting a standard software. Ultimately, that is the goal, have all Hoppers on a standard software. Phasing out the H1, having the H2 and H3 all using something consistent across the board to make it easier for customers when calling in to deal with a knowledgeable representative. And as far as nobody asking, requests still pop up here, on social media and at Dishs page asking when the new UI will come out. What you meant to say is nobody you noticed is asking. That's a big difference as well.

People pop up asking about the user interface because there is a mistaken assumption that "new" is better. They want an improved product with better features. New "should" be better, but it is not.

And now we have gone from no one is asking, to people don't know what they are asking for... Which makes my argument.

Scott, any predictions on when the CUI will come to the HWS? This is the end of March, which has been stated as the date of release.

And now we have gone from no one is asking, to people don't know what they are asking for... Which makes my argument.
I should not have said no one is asking for the new interface. There are always folks who want the latest and greatest. What I meant to say is virtually no one is asking for the new interface, or mostly everyone would rather wait until the carbon UI is at least as stable as what we have now.

There...do you feel better now ChadT41.

Take this thread, for example. How many people in this thread have asked for the new interface? How many have said they prefer to wait as long as it takes?

I should not have said no one is asking for the new interface. There are always folks who want the latest and greatest. What I meant to say is virtually no one is asking for the new interface, or mostly everyone would rather wait until the carbon UI is at least as stable as what we have now.

There...do you feel better now ChadT41.

Take this thread, for example. How many people in this thread have asked for the new interface? How many have said they prefer to wait as long as it takes?
I remember reading someone , constantly asking when...when...when are we getting the "latest and greatest" carbon UI, myself and others we annoyed by the barrage . I'm all for improvements to enhance my viewing experience. I hope this impending release to HWS will be ready . I've been happy will the function of mine, to this point !! I can and will be patient.

Steve

I dunno what is to blame, the H3, the new UI. or both. All I can tell you is if you have a nice 722, H2000 or HWS and enjoy them, stay the hell away from the new stuff until it's fixed because it doesn't even reliably record.

Reactions: dare2be and Troch77
I dunno what is to blame, the H3, the new UI. or both. All I can tell you is if you have a nice 722, H2000 or HWS and enjoy them, stay the hell away from the new stuff until it's fixed because it doesn't even reliably record.
I've been saying that all along. But I stopped at the 722 :D

Reactions: Troch77
Why do people keep saying that there is nothing new and no reason to want to the CUI on HWS and that everyone who downloaded it got what they deserved?

It was stated over and over again on this message board that the CUI would improve picture quality and that the better picture quality was likely the reason for long delays in releasing it. The improved PQ statement interested a lot of people. Many of us were really looking forward to the update. The CUI eventually became available through doing a button combo and then it was quickly pulled and people's UIs were reverted back to the old interface which lead me to believe that there was a bug in that version (U202) . A while later a new version of CUI was made available to download (U203). We were told that Dish did not mind if people triggered the downloaded. When the updated U203 was made available it seemed as though the release might be imminent and that by forcing it, we were simply triggering the update on our schedule instead of waiting a few days or weeks while it rolled out in waves. I certainly had no idea that some core functionality was broken and that we would end up waiting months without fixes with no way to revert back. If I knew that, I would never have pushed those three little buttons to trigger the update.

Reactions: charlesrshell
It was stated over and over again on this message board that the CUI would improve picture quality and that the better picture quality was likely the reason for long delays in releasing it. The improved PQ statement interested a lot of people.
Stated "over and over" ? I believe you are exaggerating on that just a bit.... Some people speculated that the PQ could see improvement due to "updated drivers" but that was the extent of it. Never once did I read that improving the PQ caused any delays whatsoever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)