Dish Plus Pro and Legacy Problems

mannerofspeakin

Original poster
Apr 27, 2009
Tenn
NEw place has Dish Plus Pro dual LNB and I have 4 tv's hooked to it (2 dual tuners). Have attempted to hook up Legacy (3900) receiver to one of the outlets that is part of DPP wiring. The location I am using is the non-receiver tv location driven by tuner upstairs. When I do the LEgacy receiver cannot locate satellites and a check switch comes back with none found. What am I doing wrong ? I know that I should be able to run Legacy receiver on dish plus pro. Not sure if I need to try it at the other location (the cable that feeds the actual receiver location).

Any ideas ? Thanks in advance.

There is no such beastie as a DPP Dual. I'm guessing that what you're talking about is actually a DPP Twin (the terms are absolutely not interchangeable in this context).

The 3900 may not be entirely compatible with the DPP Twin. In order for it to work you must also have exactly one DP or DPP receiver connected.

Your real problem is that you have switchgear for only two receivers and you're trying to connect a third. You need some sort of switch to add a third receiver and there are some very special conditions that the 3900 may not meet.

A dpp twin will only suport two receivers by itself In order to hook up a third (legacy 3900)receiver you either need a second Dish500 with a legacy twin, or you need a DPP33 switch which has outputs for three receivers.

You could also switch your dish500 to a dish 1000.2 which will support 3 receivers as long as one of them is DP or DPP.

I am actually trying to use one of the "hot" lines (lines currently being used by the dual tuners) to connect to a legacy receiver. All I have read says you can do that but it is not working.

I am actually trying to use one of the "hot" lines (lines currently being used by the dual tuners) to connect to a legacy receiver. All I have read says you can do that but it is not working.

Don't know where you may have read it, but it was false. Dish setup's do not work this way. It can work with dvd recorders and vcr's, but not additional receivers.

Don't know where you may have read it, but it was false. Dish setup's do not work this way. It can work with dvd recorders and vcr's, but not additional receivers.

Thanks. Ok. Can you swap the DPP dual receiver location to the to tv that was tv2 making it tv1 and the original tv tv2 ? The DPP dual tuner is a one wire which I assume means that tv1 and tv2 are connected by a cable right ?

Can you swap the DPP dual receiver location to the to tv that was tv2 making it tv1 and the original tv tv2 ? The DPP dual tuner is a one wire which I assume means that tv1 and tv2 are connected by a cable right ?
I can't even decipher what it is you want to do.

First thing to do is identify whether you're talking about the TV1 and TV2 satellite antenna inputs, or rather the TV1 and TV2 outputs. Using DishPro Plus switchgear (including the switch inside a DPP twin), you can feed dual-tuner receiver inputs with a single cable, provided they have what's called a "separator" to divide the antenna signal into two coaxes, one for each tuner. Dual tuner receivers ship with a separator already connected to two stubby coaxes for this purpose.

Note that you cannot take one leg of a DPP antenna cable after a separator to feed two single-tuner receivers. I maintain that might technically be possible, but Dish has never introduced a single-tuner receiver that can figure out it's on only one leg of a DPP cable after a separator.

Now, if you took a working DPP antenna cable coming from a DPP twin on your roof, and unplugged it from the dual-tuner separator and used the single end to plug into a single-tuner receiver, then that should have worked as harshness stated above. Only requirement is that the other receiver has to be a DP or DPP receiver, and it has to be powered up in order to power the DPP twin.

To add further confusion, you can also use what are called diplexers to put either an OTA antenna, or else a TV2 backfeed, onto that same single cable. None of the coaxes you might have coming from OTA antennas or backfeeding TV2s will work on a satellite antenna tuner input.

All clear now? ;)

I get all of that ... Kinda but I think my question is simpler. There is a Dual channel DPP tuner with the remote marked as #1. There is another television with a remote marked #2 with no tuner. They bot h get cable from the Dual tuner box. I assume these two tv's are connected by a wire. What I want to do is swap the position of the tuner making the formerly #2 tv to be #1 (with the tuner).

What I want to do is swap the position of the tuner making the formerly #2 tv to be #1 (with the tuner).
You want to move your satellite receiver from one room to another? That is certainly possible, but you must realize that all cables are not equivalent, even if they are of the same type (such as RG6). If you want to dive into a bunch of Dish installation/wiring diagrams, you could recable everything all by yourself. Otherwise, it would be best to hire an installer to do it for you.

You want to move your satellite receiver from one room to another? That is certainly possible, but you must realize that all cables are not equivalent, even if they are of the same type (such as RG6). If you want to dive into a bunch of Dish installation/wiring diagrams, you could recable everything all by yourself. Otherwise, it would be best to hire an installer to do it for you.

Just want to swap locations for the current setup. Just installed, so cables are good. Want to take the receiver to position #2 (making it position #1) and making what was position 1 to #2 to be controlled by the UHF part of the dual tuner.

Just want to swap locations for the current setup. Just installed, so cables are good. Want to take the receiver to position #2 (making it position #1) and making what was position 1 to #2 to be controlled by the UHF part of the dual tuner.
Current setup the cable going to separator on back of receiver carries satellite signal in from dish and voltage from satellite receiver out to dish. Tuner 2 cable does not carry satellite signal or voltage it only carries an over the air radio frequency such as channel 60. If you want to swap receiver locations the current TV2 cable has to run to the satellite dish and the current TV1 cable now has to go from the new location of the receiver to the old location of the receiver so CH"60" can get to that room. No this is not as simple as cable TV where you just plug and unplug cables. From the knowledge shown in the questions you asked call DISH at 800-333-3474 and save some headaches.:):):)

If it's a new install, it's only a matter of switching two wires around on a diplexer somewhere and then moving the rx to the old tv2 location. Assuming they were used inplace of a hardline backfeed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts