Dish Plus Pro with 6000

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

CraziFuzzy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 15, 2004
I recently got Dish Network service installed at my house (Used to have Voom back in the good ol' days). I thought I was doing the right thing when i decided to get the 942. I have been so unimpressed with the DVR features of this box, I am looking to downgrade to a 6000 and use 169time to send to a PC with SageTV to get a user friendly DVR. My install is a DishPro+ setup, and I understand that the 6000 uses an older system.. Will I have to get new (old) dishes to use the older box? Do I need to use some kind of adapter to get this to work? Has anyone out there used the 169time solution for watching Dish Network programming? An opinions on this?

Thank You
CraziFuzzy

Probably to complicated for him to use. I know my mom and dad can't figure out the 625 features. I ended up setting all the shows for them to record and now they just hit the dvr button and watch from the hard drive. My dad had trouble with doing this at first since he is a tv surfer, but now he only watches sports live.

He wants the 6000 since its compatible with the 169Time stuff. Its kinda pricey, but cool none the less. But to answer his question, yes the DishProPlus stuff is compatible with legacy receivers, which includes the 6000.

I connected my old 6000 to a DPP44 before I ended up replacing the 6000 with a 921. Regular DishPro LNBs and switches require a legacy adapter if you use them with a legacy receiver. But Dish Pro Plus removed that requirement.

Cyclone said:
He wants the 6000 since its compatible with the 169Time stuff. Its kinda pricey, but cool none the less. But to answer his question, yes the DishProPlus stuff is compatible with legacy receivers, which includes the 6000.

I connected my old 6000 to a DPP44 before I ended up replacing the 6000 with a 921. Regular DishPro LNBs and switches require a legacy adapter if you use them with a legacy receiver. But Dish Pro Plus removed that requirement.

someone else may correct me, but if i remember right, the DPP twin will work with a legacy receiver, as long as a DishPro receiver is hook up ALSO. I don't think you can just use the one legacy receiver.
(If i'm wrong let me know, I no longer install and can't really remember)

CraziFuzzy said:
I recently got Dish Network service installed at my house (Used to have Voom back in the good ol' days). I thought I was doing the right thing when i decided to get the 942. I have been so unimpressed with the DVR features of this box, I am looking to downgrade to a 6000 and use 169time to send to a PC with SageTV to get a user friendly DVR...
Thank You
CraziFuzzy

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
:shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked

Did you have a DPP44 between the dish and legacy receiver? According to all documentation I have researched, you either need to add the DPP44 or have at least one DP or DPP receiver in use to make a legacy receiver work. :confused:

No...it was just a single room, DPP/DP combo. At the time Cleveland required a 61.5 for the must-carry and I was running short on Legacy equipment; really no excuse since my rig is a full-sized truck with a contractor cap, so lack of space wasn't an issue. I knew a person could use a Legacy receiver if they had a DP receiver tied to the DPP Twin.

Like I said...it's not documented. Still not sure if I got away with one or not

IIRC, you got away with it. One Legacy box may have enough juice to drive the DPP-Twin, but I'm pretty sure it's documented that you need a DP (higher voltage).

The interface of the 942 DVR is just very awkward. I am used to using SageTV as my DVR, and made the mistake of thinking that the 942 would be similar, but handle HD. It's not that I can't figure it out, I would just prefer not to have to. SageTV is much more capable and straight forward.
Some of my biggest gripes with the 942 are the fact that the tuners are dedicated to a particular display. If a show is recording on Tuner 1, I can't watch live tv on that tv. This is pretty dumb, especially because the hardware will allow this by telling it to record the program you want to watch, and watching the recording while it is recording. Sage does not have this requirement. Any Tuner can be used by any display. The conflicts of the SD and HD channels have also plagued me. Why it records the same program on the OTA and the sat feed channel at the same time is beyond me, especially since it knocks another program out of recording due to priority. I could continue, but suffice it to say I am not happy. I wonder if it will ever be possible to make a DishNetwork PCI tuner, so dish could give up on the DVR side and leave it to 3rd parties, who seem to handle it so much better.
If you don't understand my complaints, and have a tv tuner card, give sagetv a shot, with the exception of HD (well, OTA HD works) you will see how a DVR is supposed to work.

I've tried using the DPP Twin with just one Legacy receiver but I couldn't get it to work. I had to use a DP Twin with a DP adapter. I've also tried to use a DPP Twin with a DP Dual pointed to 61.5 with two legacy receivers and it wouldn't work neither. When using the DPP twin by itself you have to have at least one DP receiver or two legacy receivers and when using the DPP twin with a extra dish for one of the wing sats then you have to have at least one DP receiver. This has been by my own personal experience and its also documented under the DishPro Plus Twin Tech notes but I've heard where someone got the DPP twin to work by itself with just one legacy receiver so who knows.

From what I saw in a recent DNSC update Dish officially supports using legacy rcvrs with a DPP twin. It does seem legacy rcvrs don't provide enough CURRENT to fully power a DP dual connected to the DPP twin. It may be that some legacy rcvrs provide enough current to operate the DP dual as well.

I did some research and it looks like i need to use a DPP reciever along with the legacy 6000, so looks like I'd have to keep my 942, just for power... seems silly... maybe i'll just put up with the 942 until my contract ends...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)