Dish pointing in Miami

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

lostcause

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2004
What direction does the dish need to point? I have signed up for Voom but am moving soon so I put off the install until I'm in the new place.

Problem is, I'm still looking for a place. I'll probably end up in a condo and need to know what direction I need a line of sight to. I currently have dtv and it's southwest. Is voom similar or completely different? Believe it or not, my ability to get both voom and dtv is one of the things that will determine whether I buy the place or not.

Also, how important is it really to not have trees in the way? I ask because I have seen several dtv and dish installs that have the dish literally pointing straight into massive trees about 30 feet away and they get a good signal.

lostcause,

welcome. The dish is at 61.5 SE. It is better not to have anything between your dish and the satellite.

Thanks for the info. Now, for the directionally challenged like me, I understand the SE, but not so sure I know where 61.5 falls. Given that I'm in Miami, how would that be in relation to the horizon? Would it point low, high, etc?

As for not having anything between the dish and sat, I know that's the recommended, but I'm wondering if it's an absolute must given that I've seen systems work just fine with big trees in the line of sight.

It is a must for VOOM not to have anything in btween. You are in the east coast. I am in NYC and my angle of elevation is 44 so yours has to be around there also. So it is pointing high to the sky.

Since the Voom satellite is geostationary, if the elevation in NYC (40.71 deg N Latitude) is 44 degrees above the horizon then elevation for MIA (25.77 deg N Latitude) would be [44 + (40.7 - 25.7)] 59 degrees.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)