Dish Pointing (Still New to FTA)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MPKidder

Original poster
Mar 16, 2006
Hi. I have a ViewSat receiver, Lava Dish and LNB. Dish is 31' LNB .3dB
I will have a pro install this at some point. I did get an angle tool and digital compass. Can I point my dish at Galaxy 10R myself? I found info relating to my location (Boston). Elevation=18.8 Azimuth=242.2 LNBF Skew=40.8 I know this might sound weird but how do I do this? Should I put the angle finder on the back (middle) of the dish and lock the elevation at about 71.2 (90-18.8)? Part of the LNB is like a box so I can put the straight edge up against it (to find the angle), should I set that to 49.2 (90-40.8)? I don't think I can put the compass on the back of the dish, should I just see approx. where 242 is and point the dish in that direction

Last edited by a moderator:
edited post to make it regualr font. No need to use freaky fonts that hurt the eyes :)

The elevation (18.8) is what you set on the dish (this is the number on the back of the dish...should go from 10-90 or 20-90)
The skew (40.8) is the LNB turned clockwise or couonterclockwise

azimuth (242)...think of it this way
180 is straight south
270 is straight west
so it would be aimed SW

Dont put the compass on the back of the dish as the metal from the dish will screw it up

Hi IceBerg, Thanks! Sorry about the Font (I thought it wasn't too bad, hehe.) Anyways, I will try this when I have time. So what is that angle tool used for (in relation to setting up dishes)? The back of the dish does have a scale but it's tiny so it's hard to eyeball. I know which way to turn the LNB (counterclock-wise in my situation). The scale on the LNB (holder) only goes to 20 so again, this will be hard to eyeball.

According to the Angle tool, wouldn't 71.2 be about 18.8? Should I just not use the angle tool? Sorry if I'm a pain, just trying to figure this out...in my mind, it shouldn't be too hard to do this.

if you want to use the angle tool you can but on the dish there is an elevation scale. Use that for the elevation (19). Skew is going to be tough as it is so far away from you (my skew for G10 is 25 so its less). I would just turn it more than 20 to get in the ballpark. You can always fine tune as need be.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)