Dish pole mounting position

pitterpat

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
Indy
I am wondering if the spot where I have dug a hole to mount a pole for a dish will be ok. In this picture I am standing directly over the spot where I dug the hole. The hole is on the west side of my house and the dish can point w - sw, on the compass on my iphone between 227 & 237 there is no obstruction from the trees at all. Yes the iphone compass is pretty true, as I was standing there I turned to true N and I could get turned to calibrate to 0 / North.

Attachments

• 2013-11-20 17.04.30.jpg
    2013-11-20 17.04.30.jpg
    475.5 KB · Views: 210
That app would tell you if the hole is a good spot... Your post is a little too vague for us to help much.

What is your zip code?

You might also check dishpointer.com and you can see an arial view of your location to see. From your pic, and if you are looking at the right direction, I would think those trees on the left might block the signal.
46260 zip
I've looked at Dishpointer and am not real familiar with how to use it.
The tree is approximately 227 deg using iphone compass.

If I'm not mistaken the azimuth for western arc is 220-245. In a perfect world an extra 5 degrees clearance is recommended/required for installers.

There is basically no real way to know for sure since we do not have your exact location. That's where the app would come in handy. Just put your phone where the dish will be, point it in the SW direction, and it will use the camera to show where the sats will be in the sky.

Go to www.dishpointer.com put your address in and click on "multi lnb setup". Then scroll down to the setup that you use, Eastern Arc is "Dish 1000.4 and Western Arc is "Dish 1000.2". Then you can zoom in right down to your house and you can see the line that you must have clear to see through with your dish.

Go to www.dishpointer.com put your address in and click on "multi lnb setup". Then scroll down to the setup that you use, Eastern Arc is "Dish 1000.4 and Western Arc is "Dish 1000.2". Then you can zoom in right down to your house and you can see the line that you must have clear to see through with your dish.

When I had my last Dish I was on the Western arc, now I live about 1 mi N & 4 miles E of where I used to live, will I still be on Western arc? If I am on the Eastern arc I have the hole on the wrong side of the house and I think I am screwed if I have to put it on the other side. On the other side of the house there is a 57 yr old oak tree in the way.

If you are going to be aiming at all between or near the branches of that tree, keep in mind in the summer the leaves will weigh down the branches and your clear sky clearance will change, if there is one at all.

If you are going to be aiming at all between or near the branches of that tree, keep in mind in the summer the leaves will weigh down the branches and your clear sky clearance will change, if there is one at all.
I'm having some of the limbs cut on the oak this winter and will have them look at that tree too. When I put my addr in Dishpointer like the other guy said and gave it the western arc it looks more west than s; like west/south west.

Seems like you should have figured this all out before you dug a hole.

Best advice is to purchase the app for iphone, or set up a w/o and let the tech figure it out.

I am wondering if the spot where I have dug a hole to mount a pole for a dish will be ok. In this picture I am standing directly over the spot where I dug the hole. The hole is on the west side of my house and the dish can point w - sw, on the compass on my iphone between 227 & 237 there is no obstruction from the trees at all. Yes the iphone compass is pretty true, as I was standing there I turned to true N and I could get turned to calibrate to 0 / North.

OOPS....Now you'll have to go on line and find the declination in your area for magnetic north. All the Azimuth settings for satellite pointing are magnetic not true.

Thanks but right now I'm just trying to figure out if I have the hole in a good workable spot; I've got some wiring to do in my house first before I get Dish. But I would like to mount the post soon.

Do you have a view of the southern sky where the sun is unobstructed at about 12 to 1 pm?....If so , this time of your for your area this is a rough estimating method for Dish's Western Arc....110/119/129..Elevation is 24.8*...True is 239* magnetic is 249*
For Eastern Arc, 61.5/72.7/77 elevation is 42.9* Azimuth is 178 true 191 magnetic.
Notice in both cases the declination is about 13*....That is the difference between true and mag

Do you have a view of the southern sky where the sun is unobstructed at about 12 to 1 pm?....If so , this time of your for your area this is a rough estimating method for Dish's Western Arc....110/119/129..Elevation is 24.8*...True is 239* magnetic is 249*
For Eastern Arc, 61.5/72.7/77 elevation is 42.9* Azimuth is 178 true 191 magnetic.
Notice in both cases the declination is about 13*....That is the difference between true and mag

On the western arc my view is very clear at 249 magnetic. Thanks for the info.

On the western arc my view is very clear at 249 magnetic. Thanks for the info.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts