Dish policy on pole mount installs

Brodieb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
Maryville, MO
I am getting ready to move in the middle of next month and was wondering what the official Dish policy on pole mounting is. The home we are buying is from the 1920s and is mostly stone so a roof mount is not preferred. The neighbor has Direct TV pole mounted and there is a clear southern line of sight, but do I need to install the pole and trench for cable or will the installer do that? Is a pole mount included with Dish mover or is it an extra charge?

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

They should do it as long as the roof is not an option.

As long as the pole mount does not create un-necessary work for the installer you should be fine. The only time they really charge is if the Dish could go on the roof and you insisted it go on the ground.

My installer gave me a choice when I did not want the Dish on the roof, too hard to clean in Winter. (WA dish is on the house, but it rarely if ever gathers snow, not so the EA) He said he can dig a trench to it up to so many feet before charging more. Good install, no problems, he poured the cement etc.. as it should be done.

He won't put the pole in the same day. Call and have utilities marked before he gets there. If not it will sit on a temporary mount for a week while your yard gets marked.

mostly stone? is the roof stone? walls stone? Can they do a wall mount? What kind of exterior walls? A wall mount or foundation mount is a great option if the south sky is clear. If the foundation is brick or concrete, it's an easy mount.

I guess it depends on who you get. If a customer wants me to do a pole mount, just because "they don't want it" on the roof, I will charge for it. It is free (to an extent) when mounting to the house isn't possible due to line of sight problems or there is nothing to mount to (tile roof, stucko siding etc..)

I recently moved and a pole was needed and the tech did everything, even called the diggers to see if it was safe to dig there, and he came the day after the diggers came to finish the install.

No charge at all.

I think most installers charge for a ground pole mount. I'm pretty sure that's not normally included in the "free install" for even a new sub.

If not, you should consider giving him a good tip if he does a good job installing it for you, and you are satisfied. It's a lot more work then doing a roof or eves mount of a dish. Personally, I do ground pole mounts for my own installs as I used to install commercial roof and tower antennas, and even with the Bishop Tape or roof patches, I didn't like to take a chance of a leaking roof on my house.

iwannarock1 said:
mostly stone? is the roof stone? walls stone? Can they do a wall mount? What kind of exterior walls? A wall mount or foundation mount is a great option if the south sky is clear. If the foundation is brick or concrete, it's an easy mount.

It is stone exterior and a tall two story house, to roof install they would have to go way up and the line of sight is not as clear with lots of trees in the way. All the neighbors with sats have pole mounts so I assume there is no other option.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

My dish was installed on the roof due to line of sight issues with trees. Last year, I had a new roof put on my house and I did not want to have a satellite dish mounted on my new roof. I called Dish and they sent someone out who installed a pole mounted satellite dish. Because of the line of trees, the pole had to be located about 100 feet away from my house.

The installer dug down past the frost line and mounted a pole in cement. While the cement was drying, he shallow buried the wire from my house to the pole mount. The cement was hard by the time he finished burying the wire, so he finished mounting and connecting the dish. The whole thing only took a few hours.

The best part is that dish only charged me $15 to do all of that work. I have the protection plan and I am a long time customer (16 years) so that may have helped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)