DISH Price Increase 1/17/2013 (UPDATED!)

It looks like it is going to be a sideband of the NBC affiliates. Some originals and some classics like the six meg man, marcus welby et al. It looks like Nederland, TX has it now.

Yes Cozi tv is in Nederland, a small town located in the Golden Triangle of Texas, Beaumont,Pt.Arthur,Orange,Tx. And the best part is that Cozi is in 720p on the ota channel. So the old reruns look great in hd, even with black side bars. They even show movies in Full hd ,except with commercials. I watched" the Producers" in hd today and it was a movie from 2005 with Mathew Broderick and Nathan Lane & Uma Thurman. Cozi tv makes a great addition to my viewing habits along with Metv.

Don't like the price increase as well, not happy bill went up a bit. But when you take a step back and look at the technology now especially with the Hooper system (especially if you have two) Dish anywhere and other things its has to come at some price. I think it's the programmers who have to take a look at things, while I won't go down the the carte street :) I know that could cost more. I think some flexibility with packages could help.

https://www.google.com/search?q=The...not.&aqs=chrome.0.57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The WSJ has an article on bundling. They are a pay site, but since they let google give some articles, you can click on the google search above and get the article (should be first search result) or the direct link if a subscriber: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...2.html?mod=WSJ_hps_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsFifth

Instead, several pay-TV executives suggest creation of smaller bundles or tiers based on genre, from which viewers could pick and choose. For instance, a general entertainment package could include Time Warner's TBS and Comcast Corp.'s CMCSA +0.03% USA. Atop that package or standalone, subscribers could choose a sports bundle including channels like ESPN and regional sports networks. A news package might offer Time Warner's CNN, News Corp.'s Fox News, Comcast's MSNBC and Bloomberg TV, among others. A family and kids tier might include Nickelodeon and the Disney Channel.

Mediacom Communications Corp., a small cable operator based in Middletown, N.Y., has long agitated for unbundling. It advocates a "hybrid a la carte" model, in which those most expensive channels are sold individually on top of genre-based tiers.

I like Mediacom's suggestion that all the cheap channels (perhaps 25cents or less) go in the basic core service then all the expensive channels are a la carte. It would be a big incentive for companies to keep their channel prices lower than the cut off to be carried everywhere vs trying for large rate hikes.

Of course big channels like ESPN would be hosed. They would have to either charge a lot more (probably $15) to make up for the lost viewers or not pay so much for the sports content.

You would also have to include a delivery charge for use of the network for either the satellite or cable company. Just like the gas and electric utilities.

Also remember ESPN get big advertising revenues by being in 100 million homes. If after being offered ala carte ESPN was in only 30 million homes they would attempt to make themselves whole through much higher subscriber fees. My guess is they would try and charge over $20 a month and then only if you subscribed for twelve months. If you only took it on a monthly basis so you could cancel after the the NFL season maybe as much as $25 a month.

These rates would then probably be marked up by by Dish as they want to make a profit also.

You would also have to include a delivery charge for use of the network for either the satellite or cable company. Just like the gas and electric utilities.

Also remember ESPN get big advertising revenues by being in 100 million homes. If after being offered ala carte ESPN was in only 30 million homes they would attempt to make themselves whole through much higher subscriber fees. My guess is they would try and charge over $20 a month and then only if you subscribed for twelve months. If you only took it on a monthly basis so you could cancel after the the NFL season maybe as much as $25 a month.

These rates would then probably be marked up by by Dish as they want to make a profit also.
You bring up the glaring need for ratings-based subscription fees. Channels get paid by the advertisers based on ratings...so should subscriber fees. The watched channels will survive, the unwatched will rightly die off. Many channels have a huge disparity between what they charge per subscriber and what their ratings are.

If TV worked like most things you buy that is what would happen. But, ESPN would not be spending nearly as much on programming. A lot of sports players and teams would probably make less money. If I want to just buy shampoo, why should I be forced to buy conditioner with it just to lower the cost of conditioner for everyone else?

If ESPN were suddenly forced to go a la carte they would probably go bankrupt since they seriously have overpaid for too many rights. But, then a new sports channel would come out of the ashes and only pay what it could afford to pay and still sell subscriptions. It is not like the NFL/NBA/MLB are going to stop playing games. There will still be sports and sports programming.

Had to watch espn last night to see the Tarheel game.As March madness approaches espn will be on here more than it has since MNF went off.

All gone, for me.....

O.T.A/ DVR? Just what and how much, please. Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks. I have the least for the least and I thank them for that, but $72 more is over my budget. Checked tivo and their box is fairly priced, as is the monthly fee. I only need the Dish system due to poor reception since Digital took over.

O.T.A/ DVR? Just what and how much, please. Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks. I have the least for the least and I thank them for that, but $72 more is over my budget. Checked tivo and their box is fairly priced, as is the monthly fee. I only need the Dish system due to poor reception since Digital took over.

You could get the Welcome Package for $19.99 month. You can, of course, add a premium, Encore, Heartland, Outdoor Sports, etc to that bit if you are looking to cut back costs you can just go with the Welcome Pack. My brother has it, Showtime and Heartland and still comes out cheaper than me. I'd downgrade completely but, like you, get no suitable OTA signal for most all of my locals so may go back soon (female friend talking about a big day and doesn't like paying so much for TV and I'm looking at some major home additions that will chew up $). With Welcome Pack, you continue to get locals in HD if offered (though the rest of the pack is SD). It has a decent selection of channels to be so small including TBS, TLC, CMT, AMC and History.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)