Dish price increase

Some would argue that they are increasing the prices commensurate with the cost of the equipment they have provided. That may or may not be true.

A lot of people paid for their Duos in full yet they still charge $14 - $17 per month (myself included). That is robbery pure and simple.

However, I would argue that they have increased the prices on the higher end existing subs to artificially reduce the prices of new lower tier subs in an effort to increase the number of new customers. :(

Ed

I agree completely. The high end subs are subsidizing the low end subs.

I am glad some folks received $5 and $5 and $5 off, but my bill went up $5 and $5 and $5 and $6 and $2. Hmmmm.

A lot of people paid for their Duos in full yet they still charge $14 - $17 per month (myself included). That is robbery pure and simple.

I agree completely. The high end subs are subsidizing the low end subs.

I am glad some folks received $5 and $5 and $5 off, but my bill went up $5 and $5 and $5 and $6 and $2. Hmmmm.

Exactly. My rcvr fee went from $7 to $17.........when I tried to downgrade to a single output rcvr, they want $195 plus a new 2 year commit. BS!

Yep I have paid for all my equipment for the past 10 years or so, so Dish hasn't subsidized anything that I have. They are making it very hard to stay. If Cox in Tulsa ever gets the new Cisco dvr's the temptation to switch will be even greater. I have a hard time considering Directv the way they like to tack a contract extension onto everything. A third of my bill is now fees of some type or another.

I agree. If someone is willing to pony up the cash to purchase their own equipment, there is no ethical reason for E* to charge the same monthly use/lease fee as they would charge someone who has actually leased a unit. That to me is highway robbery. I could understand a small (maybe a few dollars per month) software maintenance fee on an owned unit. These tactics by E*, just tells me that they are trying to discourage the use of a customer owned receiver.

But I think they ought to be careful, because the kinds of business practices that have been repeatedly discussed on these forums may force many more people than E* would think over to the competition.

Ed

The primary issue with E* cost right now is the "DVR lease/service fees" that are simply outrageous. Programming wise Dish competes and in some cases beats D* but I got a list of all these DVR fees when I called to try and salvage a solution with E* before finally cancelling.

They are:

211's - $7 per month
222's - $14 per month
612's - $10 per month
722's - $17 per month

This is on top of another fee called "DVR service fee" which is $6 per month and then another $6 if you want protection plan.

E* provides no discounts to scale on quantity and just expects you to pay upwards of $50-80 per month in these fees on top of programming. Why should you have to pay $14 per month as opposed to $7 per month for a 222? Yes its a Duo but does not display HD so for many, the Duo aspect is worthless.

I predict that Dish will rethink and revise these fees, but on the otherhand part of me thinks that with the 3 lease hard rule, perhaps they do not want that segment of the market and are glad to see the exodus, hoping to make it up on volume with the lower tier customers.

Shall be interesting to watch the next 24 months.

DIRECTV is much nicer to multi receiver accounts at $5.00 per extra receiver . But then again their whole house dvr multi-room sharing thing depends on you being able to use your dvr in any room with a receiver in it. DISH is pushing their subs to one dvr per account or possibly the extra receivers being just 211ks with dvr software. SO no extra dvr fee & no extra cost other than the $7.00 per extra 211k.

I agree. If someone is willing to pony up the cash to purchase their own equipment, there is no ethical reason for E* to charge the same monthly use/lease fee as they would charge someone who has actually leased a unit. That to me is highway robbery.

I agree completely- I have always owned and installed my own equipment!

I will probably have to either go back with dish or get d*. I have been happy with the TivoHD and netflix combo, but a new TV is going to change that. There are only a few HD OTA channels and the cable is really fuzzy.

It will probably be dish, since I have the equipment already. Problem is, deciding on a package. What would be the best bang for $$ with HD?? Their annual packages are not competitive when talking HD. :eek:

Well my TIVO and netflix is working great.

does any internet tv provider have national geographic to a tv? Its available online to a computer but I dont like watching tv on a computer

Well my TIVO and netflix is working great.

does any internet tv provider have national geographic to a tv? Its available online to a computer but I dont like watching tv on a computer

if you have a tivoHD, you can stream just about anything to it. I love that about it!

Side note when thinking about a package for my 722k.

Looking at America's Top 120 $39.99 +$6 dvr + taxes + HD life= <$50. Is this right, or am I missing something?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)