Any help would be much appreciated!!

Current Setup:
Receiver: DP510
Software: P369
Dish: Directtv
Lnb Device: DP-Single
1 single 100 foot rg6 coax cable swept to 3 GHZ directly from lnb to receiver
Signal strength ranges from 120 to 124 on any given day

(Yes I currently rigged a dishnet lnb to a directtv dish pointed at 119...works for me!)

Currently in the Check Switch menu it says:
Input: 1
Satellite: 119
Polarity: ALL
Device: Sgl

A little background about my setup and me:
I am VERY technical, as such very capable, so please…take off the kid gloves with me.
I am VERY NEW to this hobby so I do not know abbreviations or the lingo’

Here are my questions:
1) I received from a friend a dish 500 complete with a Dish Pro Digital Twin LNBF (P/N 150782 Lot# C208) and when I hooked it up all I got in the Check Switch was XXXX…WHY?
2) Do I need a valid signal first before the switch check will work?
3) This is not as important as question 1 or 2 but what the heck is a spot beam channel and why don’t I get them?

I do not know the difference between dual, twin, plus, legacy. Basically this thing looks like on the front it has a big logo sticker that says Dish Pro, looking at the lnb’s I see another sticker that says Dish Pro Digitial LNBF with the part and lot # on it. And It has 2 female f connectors on it, and in metal they are etched 1 and 2 respectively

Here is what I tried:
I tried getting a signal for about 30 minutes and gave up, I didn’t think it should be that hard since every time I hooked up my smaller dish with a single lnb, it never took more than 45 seconds to find a signal!

I took a volt meter out there and had my wife change transponders and at the end of the 100 foot cable I DO get the 2 correct voltages.

I took off the Twin LNB, took it in my house, and took a 3 foot cable, hooked it up to my receiver and to the lnb’s, ran a check switch and still got XXXX.

What the hell am I doing wrong?:confused::confused::(:mad:

A twin lnb will not just swap in place of a single or dual. The skew is very important when picking up 2 birds. The biggest thing is to make sure your mast is perfectly level on all sides. Then verify skew is correct for your area. Enter your zip code in the signal level area and it will give you the D500 specs you need. Set skew and elevation and then slowly turn the dish until you find the signal. Run check switch when your done and that should do it. It is possible your twin is bad, but check the dish first.

Spot beams are the transponders that don't broadcast to the entire USA. Instead they will run that particular transponder in a very near spot (imagine focusing your flashlight into a small area instead of a broad area) They do this for local feeds so that they can re-use that transponder in several different parts of the nation and broadcast separate channels without interfering with each other.

When pointing your dish, make sure to put the receiver on 119 transponder 11.

I need to clarify my question a little.....

If I hook up a 3 foot cable from my receiver to my twin lnbf's...then run check switch...should I get all XXXX or not?

I look at it this way...If I am supposed to get a responce INSTEAD of all XXXX, then my lnbf is bad....If I AM supposed to get XXXX then I just have not got a proper signal yet right?

Considering that you have a DishPro receiver and a DishPro Twin LNB, your 3 foot test setup should reveal the following result:

Conn | Conn
X | X
DPTWin | DPTwin

It should only be doing a 2 step test: 1 of 2, 2 of 2

In any circumstance, the DP receiver you have should recognize the DP switch (LNB) that you have, regardless of whether you have a satellite signal or not. If the switch result is not identifying the LNB you have, then you have a bad receiver, bad cable, or bad LNB. Isolate the problem by swapping one part at a time. Try a different receiver, try a different cable, try a different DishPro LNB.
If it is doing a 38 step test or some other long series of tests, then you probably have a bad LNB or the receiver is bad. The 38 step tests are for older LNBs that are not DishPro.

If your result is

|x|x|x|x| then your receiver is doing a legacy switch test and is not communicating with the LNB.

also you can tell if it is recognizing the twin because it should only 2 tests when you do the check switch... if its not recognizing it at all, it will run about 38 tests

Satelite Dish Problem - I need suggestions

I'm having a problem with my satelite dish.
I have 2 receivers hooked up in different rooms. One works but the other one doesn't.
Can my Twin LNB still be bad?
The receivers sometimes says that it is my multi switch.
As far as I know I have no multi switch.Also, I put my receiver back to "Factory Default" hoping that would help - but no. Now when it's running its 0-5 test it says "SATELITE: Default" instead of 110 or 119. And when I run the Check Switch Test it runs to 38.
Could someone out there please help me??

Overheating?

Your LNB might be having drift problems. Give DISH a call and ask them to send a replacement for you. Have you checked the diagnostic screen yet to see how much drift you have? :)

with no sat signal its all xxxx GINGER--swap your rcvrs the run a checkswitch test by going to the menu -6-1-1- checkswitch then test see if the issue follows the rcvr or stays in the room that will determine if its the box or the sat feed ---dish network TSR III

Good Morning. I have just joined here and am also looking for some help. I took my 522 from home and was trying to set it up in my Motor Home in Dallas. I live in Canton, Tx. I bought a Dish 500 from Dish and first tried my single receiver (don't know number on it as of now) and found the satillites fine. But when I hook up my 522 I cannot find a signal of any kind. I think it has something to do with the switch but I can't run a switch test because I cannot get a signal. I have tried 3 times at about 2 hours each. I suppose the dish on my house is different than the one I bought. I just don't have any other ideas. Thanks in advance for your help. Don

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)