Dish Promo

pancho

Original poster
Jan 14, 2004
:?
I am seeing that promo of dishnetworks on their website about $999 for a HDTV and the 811. I am seriously considering doing this in the next month, would like to hear opinions on whether it's a good deal and what everyone thinks of this?

RCA = BAD, heard tv will only work with Dish Network HD receivers, and new type of HDTV is coming out this year that is supposed to increase picture quality and reduce price.

Stargazer said:
RCA = BAD, heard tv will only work with Dish Network HD receivers, and new type of HDTV is coming out this year that is supposed to increase picture quality and reduce price.

More trolling !

TV will work with other HD sources

I think the generic term RCA=bad is very biased, I would like to hear more why this statement is toss around so much.

I was in the pro A/V business for 17 years, was a Matsushita (Panasonic) systems intergrator, owned 2 successful Pro A/V and Media PC companies, designed, engineered and installed approx 15-20 million dollars of PRO audio/video gear in my lifetime, was even working with HDTVs in 1990-91 and my "crappy bad cheapo" 3 year old 36" RCA digital monitor has the best contrast ratio and true black that I have ever seen. It has worked flawlessly and every videophile type that comes to my house always comments on how great the picture is and how they cannot believe the black levels..

SO what I am trying to say is I just don't get the generic RCA bashing that I see here all the time.... maybe I am just lucky, but all I hear around this forum is "RCA= Bad", "Dish Network sucks", "522s are crappy", "921s suck", yadda, yadda, yadda. YET, my cheapo RCA kicks butt, I can only dream of the day when my Plasma could have such contrast levels, my 522 works exactly as it was intended without a glitch, my 921 works perfectly as a Satellite receiver and recorder (OK, the aspect modes could use work) which is what it is, Dish Network has always come thru for me, treated me better and given me more free stuff than any company I can think of (sure occasionally I get a CSR that doesn't know as much as I do, so what) .... so I just don't get all the quick negative nellys that pop up here all the time.

I am also very amazed that people can have a bad experience (or worse yet just repeat what they read or hear elsewhere) and automatically spout advice to others about all products from a company based on one (or even two, or none) experiences...

Off my soapbox now, and Nomex suit is on :)

Dave

I know that the older RCA tv's worked great. I have had bad experiences with the RCA's myself along with some others then I read in Consumer Reports about them being one of the worst. Also I have read where others said that the Dish HD tv would only work with a Dish HD receiver or is that only for one of the outputs?

Stargazer said:
I know that the older RCA tv's worked great. I have had bad experiences with the RCA's myself along with some others then I read in Consumer Reports about them being one of the worst.

I have had bad luck with RCA products myself. I used to have a RCA stereo that not too long after the warranty wore out, the CD player stopped working. Plus, it had a tinny sound to it anyway. I've had two RCA DirecTV receivers go bad on me, although I still have one that still works decent. I replaced the last RCA receiver with a Sony (and with the exception of a few bugs regarding customizing the guide, which have now been fixed) that works great. My Uncle and Aunt have a 61-inch 4X3 RCA, and though the video sources (DVD, BUD and now DISH NETWORK) and their connections are different, if you were to compare my Hitachi 4X3 50-inch to it with DirecTV and DVD, you'd be amazed at the difference...heck, my 30-inch AKAI widescreen TV looks better. The only time I have ever seen an RCA that impressed me was a few years ago, Circuit City had a Hi-Def show (from I believe HDNet) on an RCA 34-inch that made me stop in my tracks. Still, I'd have to have a heck of a deal before I'd even think about getting an RCA TV...

ROLLTIDE said:
More trolling !

TV will work with other HD sources

Are you SURE?? I was told at CES by DISH employees that the TV's would NOT accept other HD sources. The comment was, "If we subsidize the TVs this much, we have to make them proprietary." He seemed to think there would be too much room for abuse otherwise. I asked if that was the case only with the DVI input, and he said no. He said that it wouldn't accept other HD sources period. :( Maybe he was wrong.

Component connections are completely analog. There is no way of knowing what the signal is coming from.

The RCA TV's have both a DVI input and component inputs. The DVI input will only accept a signal from a DISH Receiver. However, the component inputs work with any HD component source. Trust me, we have demo units and have tested them.

drjake said:
The RCA TV's have both a DVI input and component inputs. The DVI input will only accept a signal from a DISH Receiver. However, the component inputs work with any HD component source. Trust me, we have demo units and have tested them.

So as long as no content protection scheme is ever used the DISH Tv's can be used with the component connections, but 5 years from now if DISH goes belly up or cannot keep up with the market and you want ot use another provider that requires HDCP you would be SOL.
If your serious about Tv and HD I would receomend somthing that is not as proprietary to keep you options open in the future.

I've heard the TV is proprietary also, but don't have one nor seen one so don't know.

What I do know is this, If it is an RCA I wouldn't get it based upon my experiences with RCA.

DVD player played 10 movies and now makes a horrible noise upon insertion of DVD. Doesn't play, or plays for 1 minute then says no disk as it sounds like the disk is being destroyed in the player.

Our kids 1 year old bookshelf stereo system sounds terrible, and the CD player no longer reads CDs, simply says, no disk found.

Yes, I have tried many DVDs & CDs both in the RCA players and others and they all work fine, it is the RCA products.

In my book, current RCA products are products on the very bottom of my list and will be until I read/hear/try differently.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)