DISH Pulls Out of Clearwire Deal

Which means that Charlie may never get into the cell phone business at all then, if no t-mobile. I guess that means a sell out to someone else or a merger with Directv -if it is allowed this time.

Of course he does not have to buy all of T-Mobile. He could negotiate a stake in T-Mobile with Deutsche Telekom and use the few billion in spectrum he has as part of the deal. This could give him access to towers and he could also handle some of the backhaul with the nationwide fiber optic network Dish has assembled over the years.

As far as partnering with Sprint, he has probably locked him self out of the picture for a while after costing Softbank billions by forcing Softbank to bid a lot more for Sprint/Clearwire.

THe bar has been raised and T-Mobile will be expecting that premium from other bidders if they were to sell out.

Dish costing the rivals money may end up costing them by not getting deals done.

THe bar has been raised and T-Mobile will be expecting that premium from other bidders if they were to sell out.

Dish costing the rivals money may end up costing them by not getting deals done.
only if there are other bidders. In T-mobile's case, there are no other bidders since Softbank is no longer available.

IMO, Sprint was a better fit for Dish than T-mobile so they may not make a great offer. In fact, we haven't even heard that Dish has shown any real interest in T-mobile yet. There were at least rumors of Softbank talking with T-mobile behind the scenes. Nothing about Dish though.

Last edited:
The cellphone companies back out of the deal after they learn that it is impossible to deal with Charlie. Dish only withdraws offers after the other party refuses to deal with them.

The cellphone companies back out of the deal after they learn that it is impossible to deal with Charlie. Dish only withdraws offers after the other party refuses to deal with them.

I am afraid you are right. I have said all along that I think that Charlie's reputation precedes him, before he even gets started in these deals. You can only burn so many bridges before you find yourself alone with no way out.

I am afraid you are right. I have said all along that I think that Charlie's reputation precedes him, before he even gets started in these deals. You can only burn so many bridges before you find yourself alone with no way out.

You are naive if you think Charlie is unique in is negotiations. One does not get to be the head of a Fortune 500 company by being Mr. Nice Guy. They are all just as ruthless and underhanded when negotiating. The only thing that Charlie might claim is that he is more open about it. Every company is out for itself.

You are naive if you think Charlie is unique in is negotiations. One does not get to be the head of a Fortune 500 company by being Mr. Nice Guy. They are all just as ruthless and underhanded when negotiating. The only thing that Charlie might claim is that he is more open about it. Every company is out for itself.

I am not naive at all ,just stating the obvious reasons why NO one wants to get in business with Charlie Ergen. And it isn't just the business world that won't do business with him, the FCC and the courts weren't happy with him either. Just look at how many lawsuits this guy has brought or is being sued in. If you think that no one takes any of that history into account before they think twice about getting into bed with old Charlie, then you are the one that is naive.

They need to stop trying to expand and fix the equipment they have now. All receivers they put out should have wifi adapters built in AND 3G enabled to connect to any tower if near one to retain connectivity without a customers broadband connection considering many do not have them. Direct is worlds ahead of Dish on boxes that its just not even funny no more.

They need to stop trying to expand and fix the equipment they have now. All receivers they put out should have wifi adapters built in AND 3G enabled to connect to any tower if near one to retain connectivity without a customers broadband connection considering many do not have them. Direct is worlds ahead of Dish on boxes that its just not even funny no more.

3G enabled to connect to what? Who's providing this free network you think Dish's boxes should all be able to connect to?
I must have missed the release of the Direct box that does all that... Anyone have the link to the press release?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

dvrexpander, If you think that Direct boxes are 'worlds ahead of Dish', you are very uninformed. Also, if 3G was used for video streaming, for most everyone, their data usage would soar over their monthly usage allotment very quickly.

The Genies are much better than what Dish has, and I didn't mean give everyone free streaming from 3G enabled receivers - just enough to get "Connectivity" as in the way they use now to track you're viewing habits. Techs are getting eat apart due to people getting pushed VIP receivers such as hoppers and they do not have Broadband to connect to so this is something they could very well fix.

Ask any Direct tech that does Dish installs to - they will tell you the same thing.

We do both Dish and DirecTV and even though DirecTV are usually much easier to install the Hopper/Joey is so much nicer to watch TV with. IMHO Genie and the clients are slow and clunky compared to the Ho/Jo. And that wireless deca is just a joke.

The customer usage experience is what counts, not the installation experience. :)

The customer usage experience is what counts, not the installation experience. :)

Depends on many factors my friend, bad install experience can make the usage experience a nightmare. It is all in the equipment and requirements for said equipment that means a good install = a happy customer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)