Dish Put A Dish Promo On My Dvr

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

120inna55

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Athens, Texas, United States
I really never expected Dish to move to this, but I suppose it's begun. I just found in my DVR list (on my 942) a 6-minute Dish Network commercial pushing their ClubDISH promo. The recording was protected, too. This irritates the piss outta me. This is exactly the main reason I avoided TIVO as it was my understanding that they "monitor" your viewing habits and make recommendations accordingly (this is just hearsay and not intended to defame TIVO, as I've never used the service and cannot speak directly to their practices, but rather word of mouth steered me away. It is now my understanding that this "recommendations feature" can be turned off). I really don't care if Dish Network monitors my viewing habits, but I don't want them imposing their promo's on me. I don't want 1 second of precious hard drive space allocated to their commercials. When I want promos (and sometimes, I do) I tune to their "info" channel and watch for a few minutes.

I've referred many people to Dish Network long before the "ClubDISH" thing came around. As a result, since becomming a customer myself in '97, I can think of 8 people that use DISH as a direct result of my influence. One of my key points is that they [Dish Network] leave you the hell alone. This is apparently not the case anymore. I want this practice to stop, before it ever gets off the ground. I'll not recommend one more person to Dish Network, until I hear they've ceased this intrusive practice.

Has anyone else seen a promo crop up on their DVR list? What are your opinions? Have I somehow done something that permits Dish Network to do this? I suppose since I lease the 942, that they can put on it whatever they please, and I just have to take it or drop the service. That's not likely, though, given that I'm quite pleased with my 942 and 721 combo, but you'd think Dish Network would respect me as a customer as I spend over $100/month on programming, alone.

Yeah dish dosesn't monitor your recordings like Tivo, this is just another way they let you know that there are existing customer promos like Club Dish and Dish'n It Up.

I can't believe you guys aren't getting the principles I'm talking about, here. I didn't ask for it. I don't want it. It's junk mail, spam, telemarketing....it's wrong!

So are commercials during a movie. You either watch the commercial and chose to buy said product, or ignore the whole thing.

Nobody is asking you to watch the "promo". And the fact it's well labled on the event list makes it that much easier to delete.

Theres a lot more to get my undies in a bind then having Dish take up 5 minutes of my record time of 100 hours.

I watched a few seconds of it to find out what it was and deleted it. No biggee.

Paul

I don't really mind it except here's the potential problem. What if your drive is full and they start dumping things on it? Are your own recordings going to get deleted for their marketing crap???

Commercials and advertisments are everywhere you go, if you dont want them then dont listen to radio, dont use a tv, dont have the internet, and move to the middle of north dakota. There are some things that you can do to lessen what you see and get but nothing you can do to stop it.

tawhite said:
I don't really mind it except here's the potential problem. What if your drive is full and they start dumping things on it? Are your own recordings going to get deleted for their marketing crap???

I would hope that these promos would be smart enough to only be recorded if there is sufficient space on the drive and that no programs would be deleted to make room for them.

Well I agree w/ the OP. If I am paying for my receiver, lease or purchase it should record what I want it to record not what the original seller/leaser? (lessor?)sp wants my reeiver to record.

If I lease a car is it ok for the dealer to drive it even if it s just for 5 miles & only when I am asleep? I don't think so.

If 5 minutes is OK for everyone for E* to put an informical on their DVR without their permission when does it not become OK fo E* to0 put an informical on their DVR? 6 minutes? 30 minutes? 5 hours?

I can not believe everyones response so far has been roll over and take it.

I have no tollerance for sh*t like this.

Jordan

Just do a search for the exhaustive posts on this in the past. Bottom line - the recordings are on a portion of the disc you cannot record to. They do not erase anything you have. For the rare times dish has done this some of us have found the information useful. It's all been said before - they do have a right to do it, read the agreement. No one is making you watch it, just erase it.
As for this time, any of us who visit the forums probably did not get much out of the download, but I'll bet many other people did not know about the different ways to get credit to get others to get Dish.

I think I saw posted before about Dish Network putting an ad like this on the DVR's. I think the timer for that advertisement has the lowest priority so that it does not override another timer.

120inna55, for what it’s worth, I too think that it’s wrong...if you own your machine and they hijack it to record unwanted propaganda on it, what next? I don’t care how much, or how little HHD space they use and I don’t care how benign the message is...I do care that they never asked if they could record unwanted crap on my machine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts