Dish question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ed4353

Original poster
Jul 12, 2005
I'm just curious at this point. I have an old 38 inch DirecPC dish that I have been using for 3 years with DirecTV. I recently upgraded to HD, and replaced it with the 18x20 dish, and triple LNB. As it turns out, that LNB will fit on to the big dish without modification. What are the chances of getting better signal strength with the bigger dish (more capture area)? It may be a nightmare to aim, but I'm stubborn, and persistent.
Also, with the new 102, and 98 (or 99) satellites, I would not be surprised if a bigger dish is required, to see all the birds. Anyone have any thoughts/input on this? Or, am I crazy, like my wife says?
Ed

Ed4353 said:
I'm just curious at this point. I have an old 38 inch DirecPC dish that I have been using for 3 years with DirecTV. I recently upgraded to HD, and replaced it with the 18x20 dish, and triple LNB. As it turns out, that LNB will fit on to the big dish without modification. What are the chances of getting better signal strength with the bigger dish (more capture area)? It may be a nightmare to aim, but I'm stubborn, and persistent.
Also, with the new 102, and 98 (or 99) satellites, I would not be surprised if a bigger dish is required, to see all the birds. Anyone have any thoughts/input on this? Or, am I crazy, like my wife says?
Ed

i cant comment on your old dish...

however the new dishes are quite large as they have to receive a different type of signal... and they are 5 lnb as well.

Shouldn't it also be said that a dish's face is shaped in accordance with the designed LNB package to address the appropriate signal angles and focal points/lengths. So by using a dish that is not specifically designed to "see" all 5 of the new orbital slots might not be the best device regardless of having the correct LNB package. So yes in the general sense any dish with a larger service area will yield a higher db gain value, but that doesn't mean it will be reflecting those signals to the exact points necessary to their optimal peaks. So any gain increase achieved would be lost (maybe even more) during reflection to the LNB.

Home Owners Associations

Should be interesting - I am pretty sure there are a lot of home owner association regulations around the country (including mine) that allow only the smaller dishes.

Wonder if D has thought about that ... ?

The problem some of us condo owners have is that the HOA has given special approval to mount the small dish in an area that the FCC rule does not cover. Like the roof, for example, which is not part of my exclusive use. So I guess new permission from HOA will have to be obtained or I could just take a chance and have the dish replaced and see if they complain. I wonder if there will be more cables that need to be run from the dish? And can the same mast be used?

If its the only spot that will allow for a signal, then the HOA cannot say anything.

Neutron said:
If its the only spot that will allow for a signal, then the HOA cannot say anything.
I don't see any exception for that on the FCC Fact Sheet
fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Neutron said:

Yes they certainly can if it is not mounted in an exclusive use area.

Hiker, the new dish will require the same 4 cables you are using now (assuming you have a Phase III). I have not heard what the mast size will be. Oh and welcome to Satelliteguys!

I know that when my wife and I had our condo we all agreed to an ammendment allowing a satellite dish in a non exclusive area only if that was the only way to get a signal. Too bad more HOAs don't do that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)