Dish: Ready to shut down DVRs if it loses lawsuit

Yes, this thread is only colorably different from the other threads.

And now you understand what that means !

Of course, the ViP series' DVR function is substantially different from the 501, etc.

However, if a judge decided differently, it would be far from the first time that a judge had made a ridiculous decision (consider that 5 top judges decided that corporations are the same as the "people" mentioned in the Constitution - in fact they decided that corporations are only colorably different from people. ;) ).

So, Charlie is taking into account the possibility that there could be ridiculous decisions, which is exactly what the SEC requires a CEO to do.

I really hate when people say this, but this time I am going to say:

Time to close this thread.

Couldn't have said it better.

That said, shut the thread downnn.

I agree, we shouldn't let this thread go on, as it's just a fear making thread make even me start to worry. Truth is, we shouldn't worry until a press release by Dish says so. until then, lock this thread up.

I agree, we shouldn't let this thread go on, as it's just a fear making thread make even me start to worry. Truth is, we shouldn't worry until a press release by Dish says so. until then, lock this thread up.

Why this place is to DISCUSS STUFF, and this is for sure a interesting topic:)

I've said it once and i'll say it again, the day dish network shuts off my dvrs is the day $150/month stays in my bank account.

kstuart said:
Of course, the ViP series' DVR function is substantially different from the 501, etc.
If it were so substantially different, why did DISH/SATS change the software on not only the 501/508/510 and 522/625, but also the ViP 622/722?
This is a clarification of the "Notice of Tivo Injunction" that was sent this morning. DVR models 501, 508, 510, 522, 625, 622, Homezone 622, and 722, have all received the redesigned software and can continue to be sold, installed and activated.
The only reason to redesign the software on the 622/722 is to avoid infringement. The new method for "Time Warping" via the new software was found to be infringing as well, so I believe it is quite ignorant to state "ViP series' DVR function is substantially different from the 501".

If it were so substantially different, why did DISH/SATS change the software on not only the 501/508/510 and 522/625, but also the ViP 622/722?The only reason to redesign the software on the 622/722 is to avoid infringement. The new method for "Time Warping" via the new software was found to be infringing as well, so I believe it is quite ignorant to state "ViP series' DVR function is substantially different from the 501".

I wonder if they did yet another design on the 922. Given how different the software is (and buggy), I wonder if they did not try another ground up approach. I notice trick play on the 922 is very different from the 622. Subtle things like step forward does Iframes if you step back twice, you have to pause again to get single frame step forward. It is definitely different from the 622 in other playback ways. Of course it would cost Dish a fortune if they had to change out all the 622s/722s for 922s...

Do the millions of * customers who would be affected by the shutdown of their DVRs have any rights? Forget what the cost would be to E*. If I would be required to leave E* for D* to maintain DVR service , there would be a major cost for equipment and installation. I estimated that my cost would be about $500. In addition I would lose all the value of the programs I have stored on EHDs. At even $5 per movie I would lose another $1000. If there are 5 million affected E* subscribers at an average of $500 cost to change supplier. Wow that is 2.5 Billion. The judge should have some responsibility to protect the public also. He may say E* owes TIVO money. But he should also consider the harm to E* subscribers. Maybe we need to get a class action suit going to get our money back.

don't sue dish, sue the judge :rant:

mike123abc said:
Of course it would cost Dish a fortune if they had to change out all the 622s/722s for 922s...
Of course it would be expensive, not to mention a logistical nightmare for customers that could lose their lost recordings.

But as I've said before, the ViP series is safe until TiVo files a contempt motion against the ViP series for infringement by a merely colorably different device. At that point, the countdown begins, and if the calendar in my brain is working correctly, it has been 25 months since the last motion for contempt was filed, so there will be time for ViP subscribers to determine their course of action if TiVo goes after the ViP series.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts