Dish really has it together ... NOT

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Since it is my thread I have the right to derail it. I have not had any problems with my HD (other then reording it) In surfing around the E* pages I have seen everyone say basically, it's broke... what is up with that?

The signal problems you are having with 129 have nothing to do with the 622 (or any other E* receiver for that matter). 129 is a week satellite due to be replaced in about a year. E* didn't expect 129 to have the issues it is having, but they cant just replace it immediately.

This is the time of the year when the sun is at the same elevation as the satellites (at least in the north) so a 5-10 minute outage is common at certain times of the day (about noon in WA st.) also depends on which satellite your watching.

That is the problem most of "dishers" have, they have never used a good DVR.

I have been installing E* & D* for 7 years now. D* DVR have ALWAYS been a pain in the A$$. They couldn't be more complicated, and SLOW, that stupid ping sound with every function. Every one of the installers I work with(or have worked with) hates seeing DTV TIVO on work order. 1 major pain in the neck to install.

Since E*s twin tuner DVR's first came out (model 522) with name based recording I see no advantage with D* dvr's. E*s are much simpler, faster (responsive) and just as functional and have more recording time.

The new MPEG 4 E* receivers have had a few software glitches but MPEG 4 is still fairly new.

The Dish ViP211 is one of the best I've ever seen

The 622 is the DVR 211

Solar outage & Rants

2 times a year there is solar outage, once in the spring and once in the fall. It happens with all geo stationary satellites. Here is a chart for you. even though it involves more reading. The chart isn't for this year but will give U the idea.
http://www.gourmet-ent.com/solar.html
Here is an explanation for you it is called solar fade in the article. http://inews.webopedia.com/TERM/S/solar_fade.html
Isn't 1 rant thread enuff 4 U? U have to have 2 on the same subject. How boring. :confused:

Last edited:
Dishlover said:
Check the signal stength when you lose the signal. I've read 129 moves around a little bit. You may need to adjust it yourself when the signal goes off. Not likely the installer will be there when it happens. Hopefully it was just a glitch.

Today was overcast in the Loveland/ FC area. Deep clouds and steady rain in late afternoon. I wasn't watching, but it really could have simply been rain fade. 129 is always a little more sensitive to that.

TiVo Rocks & Merge Request

Brad, I can't say anything other than TiVo has the best software. Well I can say now DirecTV has the worst (now) I guess, because that is my opinion, just as yours is yours.

There is a reason that tivocommunity forums are more than 130,000 members strong and the "dishdvr" forum doesn't exist. My son was able to use our TiVo without instruction from 6-years old, my mother-in-law was able to use it without instruction at 66-years old ... and I was able to use it without reading the manual PERIOD. To use a the new 622, I had to read the manual twice, request assistance here (as have a lot of others I see) and fool around with it to see what I can/cannot do.

The TiVo software cannot be beat ... yet .. when it is I will be sooooo happy because then we will have a choice again now that TiVo has opted to support only cable and OTA. I laugh at remarks like this because I hear the neighbors say "My TiVo ......." all the time and only 3 of us have a TiVo, the others are on DVR's. That is called being the "standard."

Whatchel1, you are correct. If there are any mods our there, please merge these two threads and keep the title of this one as it is more descriptive of both.

NOHDjunkie said:
having a TIVO is like having AOL as your internet service provider. :D
Actually it is more like having a DS3 Trunk. There is not a DVR on the planet that has the accuracy, ease of use and feature pack. Granted you are entitled you your opinion you should educate yourself or post the DVR you use that has:

Remote Scheduling
Ability to download content to a laptop, iPod and various other
MP3 Player connected to your home LAN
Yahoo! Services
Automatic rescheduling if the network moves the program
Internet Radio
Development community of over 1,000,000 people

I know the 622 doesn't, so you were saying? It's okay friend I am sure you like your dial-up AOL ... it suits you fine. :devil

slacker9876 said:
Granted you are entitled you your opinion you should educate yourself or post the DVR you use that has:

Remote Scheduling

I personally have no need for it. I'll give you that one !!

Ability to download content to a laptop, iPod and various other

USB storage is supposed to be coming for the 942 and 622 :up

MP3 Player connected to your home LAN

Every computer on my LAN is a streaming MP3 player. why do I need my DVR to do it too?

Yahoo! Services

I don't get it?

Automatic rescheduling if the network moves the program

The 622 and the 942 do automatic rescheduling if the network moves the program.

Internet Radio

I have sirius radio from Dish

Development community of over 1,000,000 people

I have a 57,000 member development community here on satguys.

And, My HTPC with Windows Media center 2005 does all of that stuff too. But I hate it's goofy TIVO like interface too and only use Media center to record in the background and use Zoomplayer to play all my recorded video content and Mediamonkey for my MP3's

I know the 622 doesn't, so you were saying? It's okay friend I am sure you like your dial-up AOL ... it suits you fine. :devil

You TIVO guys are cool :D But the 30 second skip button is cooler.

* note

The preceding commentary is all in good fun. To each their own..... GO BLU RAY!!!..no.... wait.... yeah... umm, HD DVD rules!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)