Dish Receiver is knocking out my Internet when hooked up to new Plasma TV...need help

jjandkc

Original poster
May 14, 2011
Minnesota
Hi, since we purchased a new Samsung Plasma TV, every time we turn on the TV which is connected to a HD dish receiver. The internet goes out. If we unplug the HDMI cable from the dish receiver the internet comes back on. NO ONE has been able to help yet! We just replaced the dish receiver box to a VIP 622. We have a internet provided by Qwest with a m1000 modem. We just want to be able to watch TV and be on the computer at same time.
Any help is appreciated.

I have seen this once in the field. The way we were able to fix the issue was to switch the hdmi cable for component cables. Other then that the next opption would be to disconnect the 622 from the internet and see if that helps. It says you just replacedthe box with a 622? Is this one tha you bought from a retailer or online somewhere? The reason I ask is that Dish replaced that receiver a couple of years ago with the VIP 722K. You mght want to look into upgrading to that also.

We had a 622, I called dish and they sent me out the VIP 622DVR. The Dish receiver isn't even connected to the internet. I had the Geek Squad out , and he noticed that the if the Dish HDMI is disconnected from the TV then the internet comes back on. He recommended that I get the Dish receiver replaced which I did.

The TV is internet capable. The dish was knocking out the internet even before we tried to set it up on TV.. We did purchase the adapter to make the TV a wireless connection. The TV can detect our network. But of coarse it can't connect to the internet because each time we turn it on , the internet goes out.

Are you saying that you lose internet even when the TV is totally disconnected from the internet? That just would not be possible. I smell a hook-up problem somewhere.

Yes, previously we a 32" LCD tv hooked up to dish receiver. Computer is in other corner of the room. And all worked well, we could have the tv on and watch through Dish receiver, and be on internet on computer at same time. Then we purchased a new 50" Plasma Samsung TV which is internet capable, and also a Panasonic DVD/Blu ray sound system which is WiFi ready. The Dish receiver was connected to the new system. However, if we watch our Modem light, it is green, until we turn on the whole system, then it turns and drops the internet, so we can't use the computer, or any other items we connect with WiFi. But , if we disconnect the HDMI cable of the Dish receiver from the TV.....then the internet light comes back green, and 1-2 minutes later the computer is up again. Of coarse them we can't watch TV.

Your information does not make sense. You say if you unplug the HDMI cable the internet returns, yet you say just turning on the receiver not hooked to the TV knocks out service

"The dish was knocking out the internet even before we tried to set it up on TV"

"If we unplug the HDMI cable from the dish receiver the internet comes back on."

How are those two things possible......

Last edited:
Sorry for the confusion. No the dish receiver can be on and not connected to the TV and the internet is fine. However, when we reconnect the HDMI between the dish and TV then the internet goes out.

Ok, but you clearly said it knocked out service before being connected to the TV. I have a feeling we do not have all the information here. Perhaps a grounding issue in the house, I don't know, but the information given just is too conflicting to figure out. I would suggest to get another TV from someone that has an HDMI connection and try it, but not if the receiver knocks out the internet by just turning it on....

You could also try a different HDMI cable. Or as others suggested use Component instead. (That's assuming the receiver alone does not affect the internet.)

No it's not. The dish did have a phone line with a filter connected. But I disconnected that and still no change.

Let me see if I've got it right.

With your Dish receiver disconnected from your TV, your TV can see your router and other devices on your network and other devices on your network can see your TV. If you connect your Dish receiver and select it as the viewed input, you lose your internet.

How about the case where you select another input for your TV? (Select, say, DVD player or PS3 or X-box?) Leave the Dish receiver connected to the TV - but not selected. Does all work properly?

If all works properly, change the input on the TV to select your Dish receiver as the source. Do you then lose internet?

You still have not answered my earlier question. What happens when there is ABSOLUTELY no internet connection of ANY KIND to the TV? The variable here is the TV. The old one with no internet connection...everything was fine. New TV, NOT FINE. See the connection???????

Last edited:
This is all very confusing. I was just talking with the Man who sold us our Tv and sound system. He had me unplug the TV and turn on the Sound system and dish receiver....the internet went out. Then I unplugged the sound system and replugged in the TV WITH the Dish receiver connected and on, and the internet stayed on......however I couldn't view the TV stations anywhere..... So he's recommending having Sears come out and check setup, then maybe it's an internet service problem with qwest.

If I unplug the dvd sound system which is WiFi ready, then the Tv can be on with the dish and internet stays on. But I can't find an input to view the TV. Not sure how my husband set up TV and sound system.

This is all very confusing. I was just talking with the Man who sold us our Tv and sound system. He had me unplug the TV and turn on the Sound system and dish receiver....the internet went out. Then I unplugged the sound system and replugged in the TV WITH the Dish receiver connected and on, and the internet stayed on......however I couldn't view the TV stations anywhere..... So he's recommending having Sears come out and check setup, then maybe it's an internet service problem with qwest.

I strongly suggest trying to find a friend or associate with some computer networking know-how. I also detect some confusion with your understanding of the TV's inputs and or terminology. Geek Squad or Sears is a complete waste of time and money...or worse!

Qwest is DSL internet if I remember correctly. IS your Dish receiver plugged into your phone line to dial out? If so, is it plugged in through a DSL filter? DSL filter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the case of DSL which travels over (shares) your old-school phone lines at a frequency above the standard phone frequency, EVERY phone device connected to the phone line, MUST be connected through a DSL filter! With the one exception of the actual DSL modem. That must be connected directly, and not through a filter. These filters should have been provided by Qwest, but you can purchase them separately. We have one on our VIP622, one on our wired telephone, and one on our answering machine.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=P3nPTaHZCcaDtge9qunpDQ&ved=0CGkQ8wIwAw#

If you don't have these filters installed on each device, that can cause some extremely strange things to happen, such as you are seeing now...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)