Dish Receiver is knocking out my Internet when hooked up to new Plasma TV...need help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
jjandkc
jjandkc is offline SatelliteGuys Freshman

If I unplug the dvd sound system which is WiFi ready, then the Tv can be on with the dish and internet stays on. But I can't find an input to view the TV. Not sure how my husband set up TV and sound system.

I still think it is the DVD system.

Double check to make sure the phone line is not plugged into the Ethernet instead of the phone connector on the 622 or any other item like the DVD or TV. I saw this once on a 612 installation, the voltage on the 622's Ethernet jack will knock out the phone/DSL signal.

Yes we do have the filters on all phone lines , except the line into the modem. And the phone line was plugged into the phone port on Dish receiver. But at this point I have totally disconnected the phone line from the dish. Last evening the whole system actually worked for about 4 hours! I even got the internet to work on the Tv. However, today no such luck. Speaking with someone else, he believes it is my Qwest DSL server, and that I may need to change to a faster service, as we have the fastest that qwest provides in our area.

[/and that I may need to change to a faster service, as we have the fastest that qwest provides in our area.

I don't buy that for a minute. Now there may indeed be something wrong with the qwest dsl server.Sure sounds like they haven't got a clue to me.

I don't buy that for a minute. Now there may indeed be something wrong with the qwest dsl server.Sure sounds like they haven't got a clue to me.

Totally agree. The OP, her husband, or whoever, has not a clue as to what they are doing.

Regarding filters: If you can bring the service line directly into the DSL modem, you may find the modem has a filtered telephone output that can then be sent to all your landlines. This assumes you do not have a second line or a second wiring entrance and may depend on the modem. But if all that is true you do not need any other filters. This is what I do but YMMV.
-Ken

This all sounds oddly like one of two things.. the "DSL light going out" sounds like DSL signal loss .... and the only way that would normally happen, is connecting the wrong device into a telephone line or crossing to a telephone line ...

the only other thing that fits "loss of internet" for any one device .. would be if there's not a proper setting for DCHP and in that case the first device to get an IP wins. but this type of situation shouldn't cause the DSL light to go out.

For a DIY fix .. we'd need to know tech ability, and then could link to pictures and diagrams to handle the wiring... ie.. are you sure you're connecting an ethernet cable to the TV .. or to the correct port on the back of the receiver (network & Phone ports look similar and you *can* plug a phone line into the ethernet port and have it lock in place which would kill some signals)

(network & Phone ports look similar and you *can* plug a phone line into the ethernet port and have it lock in place which would kill some signals)

See post #9...no phone connection.

Well Things are all working as should. Not exactly sure why. Here is what I did. I took modem upstairs and connected it to a phone jack. I left the TV DVD and dish all on downstairs. The modem powered up and the internet light came on and stayed on. So then I took the modem back downstairs and plugged it in the phone jack again. I left the Ethernet wire disconnected (which connects our Time Capsule for our MAC- which we use for a wifi connection). I also have a new wireless adapter on the modem. I had left the TV DVD and dish all on, and the internet light stayed on. At this point I still had the phone line and filter disconnected from the dish. All worked for about 4 hours then the internet went out again. I then reconnected the ethernet from the Time capsule. It was sporadic working for next 1-2 days. The SEars rep had me turn the wifi off on the DVD.
Then I got a RF-1 phone filter and reconnected the phone line to the dish, in the phone jack- verified this. I then connected the TV to our network from the Time capsule wifi. I was able to connect the TV to the internet and download updates for TV. A day later, I decided to try to reconnect the DVD, so I connected the DVD to the network from the modem wifi. It again connected to the internet and i was able to download firmware updates. So far it has continued to all work. Occasionally I see the internet light go off, then a short while later it will go red and then green and it may stay on right away, or it will repeat the light changes and then stay on. So I am still unsure as to why it's working, but I'm happy it is.
Previously I had verified I had phone lines in phone jacks and not ethernet ports, and all was correct.
Thanks.

See post #9...no phone connection.
See post #20
Doubtful. They're router wiring/setup is all messed up.
Yes ... and then read #27 without taking the one sentence out of context please.
For a DIY fix .. we'd need to know tech ability, and then could link to pictures and diagrams to handle the wiring... ie. **In Example** are you sure you're connecting an ethernet cable to the TV .. or to the correct port on the back of the receiver (network & Phone ports look similar and you *can* plug a phone line into the ethernet port and have it lock in place which would kill some signals)

at the point of reaching post 27 .. since no one could really be sure of how anything was connected. and with all available signs ... a simple explanation of how the green light for DSL could go off was offered as an example of how connecting something wrong could be done ... if the OP did plug a phone line into an ethernet port you could short out the phone, could kill the dsl, or may do nothing at all. and yes.. a bad filter could do it too...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts