Dish receiver kaput after elec company shuts down then turns power back on for city power upgrade

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
If your leasing the 211 from DISH they own it and will replace it for shipping charges $15 usually. If you have the protection plan shipping will also be free. Stop killing time and get your father his free replacement so he can watch TV.

Never answered if he checked to see if it was the power strip that failed...

...or needed reset?
I saw that suggestion and mentioned earlier I had tried all of the suggestions up to that point, including going straight to the wall outlet (bypass the power strip) and tried other outlets, even taking the box to another house. But no joy. The other devices on that strip, incl TV work fine.

Gonna check the fuse under the cover somebody mentioned.

On the left-hand menu, where it lists "My programming" and other stuff, look for "DISH Protect".
I saw that, but looked liked they were selling identity theft and computer virus protection. I guess they lump it all in with equipment protection? Hmm, not really interested in all that other stuff.

I saw that, but looked liked they were selling identity theft and computer virus protection. I guess they lump it all in with equipment protection? Hmm, not really interested in all that other stuff.

Can’t you make things easier with 1 less step and sign up for the protection plan when you make a call to Dish and have the replacement sent? They’ve always asked if I wanted to add it to waive the fees when I called with issues in the past?

My neighborhood is especially prone to power outages. I run my Hopper and TV off a small UPS. When power goes out in the house I unplug everything I can and don't plug it back in until power has been on for a while. My experience is most damaging surges occur when power is turned back on. Well, there was that time a neighbor decided to save a few bucks and cut a tree down by himself. It fell on a 120,000 volt which fell on the 12,000 volt distribution line, giving everyone 2,200 volts at their service line!

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I never paid attention to the options (read about 'em here but didn't give it much thought). Myself, and others, if we had the protection plan at the time they made this switch, would be put into the "Silver" package. It covers equipment and apparently "ID protection". Didn't know or care about that.

My neighborhood is especially prone to power outages. I run my Hopper and TV off a small UPS. When power goes out in the house I unplug everything I can and don't plug it back in until power has been on for a while. My experience is most damaging surges occur when power is turned back on. Well, there was that time a neighbor decided to save a few bucks and cut a tree down by himself. It fell on a 120,000 volt which fell on the 12,000 volt distribution line, giving everyone 2,200 volts at their service line!

Briefly. Then there were a lot of pops and bangs from transformers, no? Those pole fuses don’t work very fast.

Very briefly. Puget Sound Energy sent representatives door-to-door with claim forms. In my house an outlet in the garage near the main circuit breakers arced over, and probably kept the rest of the devices in the house unscathed.

Reactions: navychop
Very briefly. Puget Sound Energy sent representatives door-to-door with claim forms. In my house an outlet in the garage near the main circuit breakers arced over, and probably kept the rest of the devices in the house unscathed.
That happened to me when Jackson EMC did an upgrade. As soon as I called them they asked me my address and said they'd send an adjuster over. They knew what they did.

But I am posting this because I learned something important about surge protection, and that is all pathways must be covered and have a single electrical outlet!

I learned this because, at that time, I worked for HiFi Buys in Atlanta and I had purchased Panamax | #1 in power protection (the Cadillac of power protection at that time) and thought I had everything covered. I did not and I found out why. At my Home Theater gear, I had a rack mounted top-of-the-line unit and I even had the subwoofer and the coax connectors (from satellite) going in and out. However, my rear speakers were powered Infinity speakers, but I thought I had that covered because I bought single outlet Panamax suppressors in which to plug them in. In my call to Panamax to find out why they failed, I learned about 'potentiality'. By having three outlets (at the rack and two powered speakers in the rear) I had set up different paths and it chooses the path of least resistance. By connecting (via speaker wire) the Denon receiver to the speakers, once the surge got in, it came through the backdoor and fried everything.

The moral is: If you wish for spike protection, you MUST have everything going to one protector. Today I would get a good whole-home protector first, and then one for the HT gear.

PS. A happy ending because Jackson EMC paid for the damage. Saved my from a homeowners insurance claim.

Reactions: charlesrshell
There are plenty whole-Home protectors. And they’re cheap. I have one. I use UPSes extensively. And line conditioning versions for HTs.

I am unaware of any GOOD whole-home protectors. I welcome suggestions.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Can't sat that's ever happened to me, either at home or at work, but it is an additional line of defense between the incoming power supply and your stuff.

Can you recommend a brand of UPS? I just had a standby generator installed at my home and would like to have all my sensitive electronics connected to a good UPS in case of a power surge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)