Dish Reflectors - non-metal?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ZandarKoad

Amish Satellite Technician
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 13, 2005
Nashville, TN
I thought some of the ancient Super Dishes were made of fiberglass... How did this reflect the signal? Or does anyone know of any non metal substances that can reflect the signal? Maybe a metal coating or paint?

Moved this here for a better discussion. Most people in this forum have a better understanding of how a dish is made, how things work etc.

How did this reflect the signal?

There is a metal mesh inside the fiberglass, on a Type II Superdish. Seems like some other dishes have a solid but very this reflector inside.

Last edited:
Attention Moderators: Close this thread. Duplicate....

Edit: Oops.... Moderator replied to the thread as I posted.... LOL!

Merged and deleted a couple posts to make it flow proper;)

Attention Moderators: Close this thread. Duplicate....

Edit: Oops.... Moderator replied to the thread as I posted.... LOL!

Yeah we were answering the same question in two separate threads, at the same time..:D

I guess you guys might be able to answer this then. Dishnetwork dishes: is it a special kind of paint on the reflector?

And if you chose to paint it, what kind of paint is best suited for this application?

You may use any type of paint on the reflector. Just make sure to properly strip, degrease and rough up the surface.

Warning: Some water based paints will bead on treated gel surfaces, so try a small area as a test before applying to the entire surface.

You may use any type of paint on the reflector. Just make sure to properly strip, degrease and rough up the surface.

Warning: Some water based paints will bead on treated gel surfaces, so try a small area as a test before applying to the entire surface.

Do not strip off the powder coat. Leave it as the primer coat. Paint over it. Thanks for cleaning up my double post. :p

With some of the fiber dishes, the reflective surface is a paint coating. As ZandarKoad points out, do not remove the paint coating or you will loose the reflective surface.

I wonder how this dish works with no metal or mesh in it?

clearmonoblock.gif

clear60.jpg

Last edited:
The clear reflector models that I have seen have a mesh imbedded. Some reflectors have metal particles blended into the molded material.

I do not ever recall a dish having only a metallic surface paint. Brand and model anyone???

Pixl said:
Yea, you could say "there's a dish in that picture? I hadn't noticed!"

You guys are dangerous. Reading my mind from that far away should be illegal.......

Sent from my Timex Sinclair using SatelliteGuys

I do not ever recall a dish having only a metallic surface paint. Brand and model anyone???

Me either, I would like to know what dish just uses metal paint myself. Always up for learning something new.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)