Dish refundable DVR equipment deposit charges in 2010 -Y/N ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Deposits, picture quality, agreements, even customer service, are all irrelevant to my point. Hate Dish or Love Dish - I don't care.

Whining about fees YOU chose to pay and kept paying for years is absurd. Dish didn't force you to pay anything.
TBH you can just as well keep your argumentative trolling opinions and irrelevant arguments to yourself and move on, nobody wants to hear all that anyway.

I haven't said anything outside of maybe my deposit question that maybe was not a deposit about Dish that is untrue or maybe not common knowledge anyway and anybody serious about picture quality with a decent TV as I very recently discovered jumping ship maybe wouldn't be using Dish anyway unless they didn't watch it much beyond news .

I would I have jumped ship or not signed with Dish if I knew all that to exactly what it is compared to D*TV picture quality and competent CSR service in 2010 or even 2011- 2016 the folks that say the picture difference is small are maybe watching poor quality cheap TV 's (maybe Vizio or like that ) but even those things can maybe look better with a decent signal or they don't know any better (like I didn't before jumping ship in early July )

ur right nobody forced me that doesn't mean I have to like it things never change if people just "go with the program" and don't jump ship or complain if things just stay lousy and uncompetitive with a provider where there are alternatives it's called a free market economy .... look it up sometime .

Last edited:
Well, you got your answer, it was not a deposit, and I don't know of any TV provider that offers or ever offered a deposit.

The rest of your rant can be ignored, and as you said, is troll bait.

Deposits, picture quality, agreements, even customer service, are all irrelevant to my point. Hate Dish or Love Dish - I don't care.

Whining about fees YOU chose to pay and kept paying for years is absurd. Dish didn't force you to pay anything.

dare2be Well, you got your answer, it was not a deposit, and I don't know of any TV provider that offers or ever offered a deposit.

The rest of your rant can be ignored, and as you said, is troll bait

Setting both your reply's and maybe some other unsolicited argumentative opinions aside from the folks that very kindly answered my questions here my above comments outside of the deposit and including customer indifference are accurate to my experience and my observations and study of technical and observable merits of Dish vs D*TV picture quality which should perhaps be another thread altogether

Technicaly you two may not be able to prove or may not know The Dish TV signal from those IMO * mostly maybe under provisioned bit starving old codec birds using a hodgepodge mix of H.264/MPEG-4 AVC on new channels and and ancient MPEG 2 on existing channels mostly all (from what I read ) reducing 1920x1080 to 1440x1080 which is an uneven upscale on a 4K or 1080p TV aside from the (other) bit rate starving
I'm presuming they are getting full resolutions at the head ends.

FWIW I have 5 decent tier one brand 2013 and newer TV's here that don't usually like Dish much and I just gave away a cherry 2013 like new I bought new 50" 1080p Toshiba to a marine vet and his family he is back from the hell holes we see on TV .

Knowing as I do now Maybe we should call him and tell him to use something other than Dish.... the TV can make a real nice picture for what it is.

I had it in here when it was new before the new arguably better 1080p Sony before the newer better Sony 4K HDMI 2.0a HDR 10 bit Triluminous WCG panel Sony that I was waiting for them to make .

Next next up in here may be some kind Sony nit war HDR monster maybe some new Sony Xtal something 2,000 ,3,000 NIT wide color gamut HDR-10/DV TV Sony doesn't even make yet.

AFAIK and see Dish HDTV is usually not nearly equal to ATT/*DTV HDTV picture quality here on the guide channels outside of maybe thier IPTV ,the 722K /211K etc can not pass native resolution which a decent TV can scale much better anyway Dish cant or wont even hook up with the popular Roku cable channels I pay Dish for that's lame but with 4 rooms vs 2 now for no money with D*TV vs Dish thats not an issue now .

Admittedly I stayed on Dish way too long .

You two may not know the picture quality image differnce or have a TV or TV's to clearly see all that like me now

I wish I had known that to this specific detail in 2010 again that's my mistake.

ofc I'm watching 720p FXN /FBN now on my 2015 HDR 4K Sony with a 10 bit color wide color gamut Triluminous panel competently re maping to a wider color gamut ,up-scaling to 2160p ,better primary's ,color gradations ,color volume and dynamic range..... but it all looks way better on my bt709 64f8500 Samsung Plasma and the other Sony and LG sets here just not to the extent of the newest Sony.

Maybe you two will choose to continue being like Dish fanboy's here instead of learning something about digital discrete time signals and dynamic channel bandwidth allocation and bit shaping within a limited bandwidth and video compression codecs or maybe you two know all that already and don't care which are IMO at the root of DiSH TV's picture quality deficiencies vs D*TV I see here .

IMO anybody still using Dish after what I know (now) can't having the desire for good more up to date TV picture quality from thier TV provider .

BTW my Dish equipment returns are shipping to Sacto not far from here today in the ( they are maybe so incredibly cheap ) what look like used taped boxes they charged me for that arrived yesterday .

ppffft you can keep Dish somebody might buy them out and whatever anyway !

Sent from Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Evaluation Copy . Build 14388.rs1 Microsoft Windows 10 fast ring Insider since 01/2015

Full stop .

We are happy that you are happy with DirecTV, and that you are a video codec novice, a philanthropist, and the proud owner of several "tier one" television sets that are from 2013 or newer. Now, for the rest of us, we can go back to watching and enjoying what we like to watch on television. No matter what provider you happen to have.

BTW, what are "bit starving old codec birds" a satellite is a satellite, if the transponder has the bandwidth it can transmit any resolution or any data that is transmitted to it, nothing but a repeater in the sky. If Westar 1 or Satcom F1 still had fuel and its telemetry was operational, and you had a 12-14' dish to receive it's 8 watt transponders, it could transmit 4K pictures to the appropriate receiving equipment today. Of course, since you are obviously much more educated than the rest of us about satellite television, (I have just used it since the mid 80's myself) then I am sure you already knew that.

It was obvious from your very first post that your main goal here was not to just get the question answered about the equipment deposit. As far as the negative and rude reactions you received both from people here and employees at Dish, well, you reap what you sow.

LOL! Even after your meandering and complaining I'll stick with Dish. The Hopper series in general and the Hopper 3 specifically are miles ahead of what D* has to offer in equipment today. As to picture quality, well from my normal viewing distance to the 70" 1080p TV I had and the 70" 4K TV I now have, I couldn't see enough difference between the PQ to matter.

It seems to me you got a sweet deal to switch, a deal that would be just as sweet in the other direction BTW, but just felt you needed to chew some sour grapes and talk about it a lot.

Been a fun read!

Reactions: bspei and bobvick
We are happy that you are happy with DirecTV, and that you are a video codec novice, a philanthropist, and the proud owner of several "tier one" television sets that are from 2013 or newer. Now, for the rest of us, we can go back to watching and enjoying what we like to watch on television. No matter what provider you happen to have.

BTW, what are "bit starving old codec birds" a satellite is a satellite, if the transponder has the bandwidth it can transmit any resolution or any data that is transmitted to it, nothing but a repeater in the sky. If Westar 1 or Satcom F1 still had fuel and its telemetry was operational, and you had a 12-14' dish to receive it's 8 watt transponders, it could transmit 4K pictures to the appropriate receiving equipment today. Of course, since you are obviously much more educated than the rest of us about satellite television, (I have just used it since the mid 80's myself) then I am sure you already knew that.
Shades if Hi Def Jeff! :)

Reactions: bobvick
FWIW I have 5 decent tier one brand 2013 and newer TV's here ......

I had it in here when it was new before the new arguably better 1080p Sony before the newer better Sony 4K HDMI 2.0a HDR 10 bit Triluminous WCG panel Sony that I was waiting for them to make .......

Next next up in here may be some kind Sony nit war HDR monster maybe some new Sony Xtal something 2,000 ,3,000 NIT wide color gamut HDR-10/DV TV Sony doesn't even make yet......

ofc I'm watching 720p FXN /FBN now on my 2015 HDR 4K Sony with a 10 bit color wide color gamut Triluminous panel competently re maping to a wider color gamut ,up-scaling to 2160p......

WOW! I'm so impressed (as many others must be) by all the superior receivers you have and all of the experience you have with customer relations. Only problem that I see is that you didn't use all your grand experience with hardware and CR when choosing a broadcast service..... makes me wonder. :rolleyes:

The Hopper series in general and the Hopper 3 specifically are miles ahead of what D* has to offer in equipment today.
Unless AT&T comes out with some super duper hardware, I don't see myself switching back to DirecTV. I cannot tell one iotas worth of difference in the picture quality between the two because I sit about 13 feet from my television. I just got it in April a 65" Sony 4K and the television set itself makes everything look better (to me at least). I would like to get the 4K channel that DirecTV has, but their cumbersome system of having to have a HR54 and then use RVU or a C61 to get the 4K output seems like a mess to me. With the 16 tuners that the Hopper 3 has, I can't make it on the 5 that a Genie has, some nights I am recording at least 7 or 8 things at 9:00. Like I said, if AT&T comes out with some kind of super hardware, it might be different in a few months time. But for now, nothing beats the Hopper 3 in a feature set.

I've been saying for some time that until/unless D* does some serious redesigning of their hardware and GUI, I won't be interested in going back to them. Addtionally Tivo is off the radar too because for all the things it does so well, it to is very far behind the Hopper 3.

It seems odd to me to be thinking that way since I've been of the 'switch every time it makes financial sense' school of thought!! :)

It seems odd to me to be thinking that way since I've been of the 'switch every time it makes financial sense' school of thought!! :)
Yeah, every time I see your name I associate you with being a DTV subscriber, because that's what you were for a long time when I first arrived.

I have been that way in the past. But I have to give Dish Network credit for this past couple of years that I have been back with them, their customer service has (for me at least) been very good. They have extended several offers for premium channels at reduced prices and have given me a few breaks for discounts off my package price for 6 months at a time. So I have been quite happy with them of late, hopefully it will continue.

I've been mostly back and forth with D* and E* with a side trip to Mediacom a couple times. I recently did some shuffling of sub level when the last of my 'new customer' discounts expired. Now is the T120 (not plus), SHO/HBO/Movie Pack and I'll drop the Movie Pack when the 1/2 price deal expires. Hated losing BBCA in that, but it isn't worth that much extra money to me. Doesn't hurt that eventually all the shows on it I watched will show up on Amazon or Netflix.

I've been saying for some time that until/unless D* does some serious redesigning of their hardware and GUI, I won't be interested in going back to them. Addtionally Tivo is off the radar too because for all the things it does so well, it to is very far behind the Hopper 3.

I don't have any issues with those on the switch every two carousel. I've done it in the past, but it just seems too painful now.

Due to circumstances, I'm spending about as much time with a Genie at my parent's home as I do with the H3 at my home. I've pretty much got all the Genie "tricks and tips" down, and it still doesn't hold up to the Hopper. The price gap would have to be much greater than it is or will likely ever be for me to consider switching again.

Next step would be cord cutting, but by the time ease of use/convenience/features approach parity, there likely won't be any appreciable price difference.

Cool .... Now maybe been schooled by a SAT TV /expert enthusiast using poor quality picture Dish TV service and whatever satellite receiving monstrosity's you had before or may still have and maybe some old interlace scan line CRT TV's or Vizio's to go with all that (or not ) I'll keep my current arguably good TV's, (which speak to my point on image quality) , my sources and fairly good D*TV signal for now.

I Belive I know know what Dish can could probably do with the existing Birds (newer codecs) ,better channel bandwidth allocation) and about capacities (and fewer channels ) in a limited bandwidth transponder or the transponder wattage ratings vs Dish size relationship outside of specifics and about the new bird they are putting up but Dish is IMO indifferent to 2K HDTV image quality right now like always ( maybe they could fix all that now but wont ) that's my main (legitimate ) point aside from (other legitimate grievances .)

I've been screwing around with tech and video further back than the 1980's including professionally repairing delta gun color CRT scan line vacuum tube round and rectangular CRT shadow mask color televisions and radios and working with computers up to big iron Unix and later SAP on Unix and some local networking and up-links and IT folks since 1982 into two something decades longer .

TBH configuring the old and newer home satellite systems are maybe not all that I helped some folks (friends ) that worked above certain security clearances in tech and communication do all that virtually in thier sleep and they clued me in some but I don't want that stuff beyond D*TV and maybe most of it is encrypted now or soon will be anyway . OTOH I've seen the smart card hacks but never owned one .

OTOH if you like the arguably inferior Dish TV channel bundle HDTV image quality or just don't know any better by all means carry on .

Sent from Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Evaluation Copy . Build 14388.rs1 Microsoft Windows 10 fast ring Insider since 01/2015

A few electronic buzz words don't make an 'expert'. Nor does having a sat service for 10 years and 'suddenly' finding out it ain't what you thought give you much credibility.

But keep sucking those sour grapes, they'll surely get sweeter if you keep sucking them, right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tube twister, FYI, I don't have old CRT TV sets, nor Vizios. My Sony 4K TV newer than yours, it is the 2016 XBR65X930D, if we want to have a pissing match. I also have a 60" Samsung Plasma from 2012, a 47" LG from 2012, a 2015 32" Sony, a 2011 42" Samsung Plasma, and a 2013 LG 26".
And I also still have one of those "satellite receiving monstrosities" and the HD picture on what unencrypted channels there are blows DirecTV and Dish Network and any cable you can find out of the water because it is a FIRST GENERATION signal. Those "old satellite systems" were where Dish, DirecTV, and cable got, and still get the majority of that programming that they retransmit.
So don't go telling me all your bull$hit about knowing all about satellite TV, I have used it since about 1983, and home TVRO did not come out until 1979, I have been through the first scrambling, VCII, VCII+, DigiCipher/4DTV, MPEG-2/DVB introduction to North America, and both DBS services.
You have to be the most narcissistic and egotistical poster that I have ever encountered here in the 10 years I have visited this message board.

A few electronic buzz words don't make an 'expert'. Nor does having a sat service for 10 years and 'suddenly' finding out it ain't what you thought give you much credibility.

But keep sucking those sour grapes, they'll surely get sweeter if you keep sucking them, right?

They say you cant teach stupid and right now I wont say who comes to mind . I don't need to be an expert or hobby forum poster expert or professional that cant figure Dish TV (legitimately ) sucks picture wise . I can afford to pay real experts and know some in the broadcast industry but I can roll a decent HDTV bt709 TV calibration and work with advanced Windows 10 test build issues and audio codecs ,mixing and noise shaping fairly well

I'm about to format and clean install Windows 10 14388.rs1 on this SSD volume soon because the in place update very new fast ring build is getting more than a little unstable and a clean install (usually ) always fixes all that lately not to mention I'll be communicating directly to the engineers at Microsoft soon about this windows 10 red-stone build when I get it stable (or not ) anyway like I always do they want to push out the red stone one update new builds to general acceptance ,retail ,the installed base and OEM on Aug 2nd and we have shake all this out some more . ?

Sent from Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Evaluation Copy . Build 14385.rs1 Microsoft Windows 10 fast ring Insider since 01/2015

You are so funny to read, especially now that we can add 'rich' to the thing you are.

Of course if you'd use actual English instead of 'stream of thought' you might make better points. But keep digging that hole, China is waiting for you to magically appear and educate them in all those things you are ' ex spurt' at.

Reactions: tubetwister
You have to be the most narcissistic and egotistical poster that I have ever encountered here in the 10 years I have visited this message board.
Prolific pompous pontification.

Sent from my $400 i5 8GB 1TB laptop because I know the value of money and save and spend it wisely on things that work for me, not to follow the status symbol rat race, even though I can easily afford it

Reactions: bobvick
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)