Dish Relocation

Does this look like a quality install?

• Yes; What do you like about it?

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • No: Post what you think could have been better!

Votes: 11 68.8%

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.

directvfreak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Today we had our 5 LNB dish relocated from the pole mount we had originaly. See this post: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=60007

We were worried about plants in the garden might grow in front of the dish so we moved it to the corner of the fence. Here are some pics. We had a GREAT installer. Let me tell you, this mount is A LOT sturdier than the pole mount. Can't even move.

Attachments

• PICT0142.JPG
    PICT0142.JPG
    609.1 KB · Views: 221
  • PICT0143.JPG
    PICT0143.JPG
    584.8 KB · Views: 167
  • PICT0144.JPG
    PICT0144.JPG
    501.7 KB · Views: 154
  • PICT0145.JPG
    PICT0145.JPG
    554 KB · Views: 208
  • PICT0146.JPG
    PICT0146.JPG
    696.6 KB · Views: 190
  • PICT0147.JPG
    PICT0147.JPG
    654.4 KB · Views: 171
Keep an eye and a level on it. No matter how sturdy today, over time (not long time) rain, sun and ice exposure will cause ALL WOOD to shrink, expand and warp, cause the dish's LOS to be eroded. Although it looks really good, I also prefer my dish instals to be out of arm's reach when standing on a 2 rung step stool. Unless you rent, I like roof or chimney mounts.

Last edited:
This will happen basically anywhere you mount a satellite dish. A pole mouny will move up and down in cold, and hot seasons. Your house settles and stuff too so you really can't prevent this from happening.

Last edited:
You are correct, just the with a properly installed pipe mount it is much less over a longer time. To many pipe mounts are just metal chain link post jammed into the dirt, which doesn't cut it. Same with a house, it settles at a much a slower rate compared to fence wood, treated or not; just saying keep your level on it if you ever notice any drops.

I used a telescoping antenna mast from Radio Shack. Been there since '98, never had to touch it and my numbers are still in the 90s.

picture 5, see the gable end of the roof and the attic vent ?

go down 2 feet vertically, that is where it should have been.

IMHO

I'd be concerned that the neighbor's dog might jump the fence and whack the dish.... a kid throwing a football (badly) would do a real number on it.

I agree with charper, I favor the roof mount.

I'd prefer a metal ground pole over anything else.

Mine is on a schedule 40 aluminum pipe. I've seen aluminum conduit at the sea coast that has been in place for 30 years or more with no pitting, except for a light patina.

In Reply to: bi-metal corrosion posted by Mary on 11/04/03 at 11:23 PM:
Hello Mary
Our company has the US and Canadian patent for preventing the corrosion of dissimilar metal corrosion. Our web site at www.vannay.com should be helpful. We believe through our testing that anytime that yiu attach aluminum and steel together you will always get corrosion. This corrosion is quite unpredictable meaning that it could be days or months before it occurs. Our product called ECK is used by numerous companies in their manufacturing process. If we can help with answering questions about your application let us know.
Richard Nay, CEO
Van Nay Corporation
1-847-931-7899

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jpn said:
I'd be concerned that the neighbor's dog might jump the fence and whack the dish.... a kid throwing a football (badly) would do a real number on it.

I agree with charper, I favor the roof mount.

Worried about dog jumping the fence? It is my fence it is mounted and I have a small dog... Only can jump a couple feet in the air. There nearest kid to our house lives 5 houses. If a football hits the dish, we've got a problem.

By the way, the fince post is in 2 feet on concrete so it is sturdy. The original installer didn't put the pole in concrete, so it was very loose. This new mount is rock solid (almost).

A pole with concrete installed as close to electrical meter (if possible) ground with a quad ground block. Put switch in attic or crawl entrance, homerun all lines to switch. I personally do not like too much exposed if possible.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)