DISH Remote Access Android App - how to route data on local network

kirkwolf

Original poster
Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Hi,

I just had a Hopper and Sling Adapter installed in my home.

I am able to use the "DISH Remote Access" Android app, V 1.3.0.19 to view TV streams,
BUT: all of the streaming data is routed over my broadband internet connection.
This occurs even if I am using my phone's WIFI connection for data.

So, if I have WIFI disabled on my phone, I see 600-800kbps going upstream on my internet/wifi router. This makes sense.

But, if I disable cellular data and only enable WIFI data on my phone (connected to my home wifi router), it still works, but I see BOTH 600-800kbps up and down through the internet link. YUCK!

(My router is running tomato firmware, so it is easy to monitor the internet bandwidth usage).

What is interesting, is that if I use "dishonline.com" from my laptop (also on the same home WIFI network) with the browser plugin, it words as it should - the actual data is streamed locally only.

The WiFI devices on my router are on the same subnet as the ethernet devices (like the Hopper), so I don't see the possibility of a network routing table problem. And, as I said, my WIFI-connected laptop is able to stream via the dishonline.com browser plugin without using internet bandwidth.

So, the dishonline PC browser plugin seems to be able to detect and route streams to the local network, but the Android "DISH Remote Access" app cannot.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

I'm guessing but it may be the limitation of the android app...

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

Using a Slingbox my Slingbox Android app does access my local network on WiFi at home. I don't use a Sling Adopter so can't answer that specifically nor do I use the DRA app very often since the Slingbox App works so well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)