Dish Remote Not controlling Sony Receiver

sonic

Original poster
Jun 26, 2004
Hello, I am having trouble programming my dish 811 remote to control my sony receiver (STR-K850P). I initially didn't have a problem with this, but now it is getting to me, having to use 2 contollers all the time. If anyone can help. It would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

I recieved this reciever in a package deal. I believe the model of the entire package was HT-6600dp.

Thanks

Hi sonic, forget the Dish remote and get a good universal one. One For All and Radio Shack have decent learning models starting about $30. If you don't mind spending a little more the Home Theater Master remotes are excellent and start just below $100.

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
Hi sonic, forget the Dish remote and get a good universal one. One For All and Radio Shack have decent learning models starting about $30. If you don't mind spending a little more the Home Theater Master remotes are excellent and start just below $100.

NightRyder

I fully endorse this comment or suggestion.

for the record the dish remotes wont control my reciever either.

I've had excellent results with my Harmony remote. One remote controls my TV, 811, Rcvr, and DVD player. Got rid of all those single remotes! No more clutter, and the wife loves that.
Tom in TX

Newer Sony receivers come from the factory set for AV2 (remote address 2). It needs to be changed to AV1 in order to be controlled by universal remotes. Each Sony receiver is different. Check the manual, or, if your manual doesn't mention anything about it (my DA1000ES manual didn't), you may be able to find the instructions at www.agoraquest.com, an excellent Sony users' forum. Do a search for "change AV1 AV2" or variations to that affect.

What GaryPen said. That's exactly what I had to do.

I've got my STR-DE695 basic controls going through my 921 remote. Note that different code numbers will make the number pad switch to different inputs - but I found NONE that would activate the VIDEO2 input - which is where I have my 921. :(

Dish needs to add learning functions to their otherwise excellent remotes. Also, the 811 remote needs to emit IR in Sat mode. What moron came up with the UHF-only idea? Sheesh, what an idiot.

BTW, I don't have the Sony AV1/AV2 problem anymore. I sold my Sony, and got a Denon. Holy crap what a difference!

Sony has a universal remote for $35. It will control my Sony AV receiver, Sony Widescreen, Sony DVD player, Panasonic VCR, and Hughes HTL-HD all out of the box. It should also work with the DISH 811. Very good remote.

GaryPen said:
Dish needs to add learning functions to their otherwise excellent remotes. Also, the 811 remote needs to emit IR in Sat mode. What moron came up with the UHF-only idea? Sheesh, what an idiot.

BTW, I don't have the Sony AV1/AV2 problem anymore. I sold my Sony, and got a Denon. Holy crap what a difference!

No doubt. I love my Denon receiver. Went from JVC to Denon, I could swear I had new speakers.

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
No doubt. I love my Denon receiver. Went from JVC to Denon, I could swear I had new speakers.

Same here. I use BIC speakers. Excellent speakers at ridiculously affordable prices. They are known as one of, if not THE, best speaker values around.

Anyway, a popular thing by BIC owners is to send the crossovers to a guy in AZ to have them modified. I was thinking of this myself, until after I ran the AVR-2805 auto-setup function. It sets all 7 channel levels and parametric EQ. Now, they sound in-freakin-credible.

(OTOH, I never thought of modifying them with my Sony DB930. It was only after "upgrading" to the Sony DA1000 that I thought they might need it. The Denon cured that itch.)

Wow thanks guys

Thanks for all your help guys, I have a nice magnavox 8-1 remote , that costed some 70 bucks but that seems to not control the 811, nice!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)