Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Hey guys you know that your Dish Network remotes have up to 16 addresses, but did you know that there are actually 31 remote addresses available?

It was just revealed on the Retailer chat that there is a hidden batch of remote addresses in Dish Network remotes!

Here is the way to go above 16...

Pick the address you want to use...

Let's say for this example we pick 20. The trick is we take the number we want and subtract 16 from it.

So 20 - 16 = 4.

To program in address code 20 we press and hold the Sat Button til it blinks, then press # and then the up arrow, now type in the remote address code (which in this case is 4), now press # and record on your remote. Your remotes address is now 20!

Kind of cool huh? :)

That info will come in handy for some onf us that have WAY too many receivers.

Is that ALL Dish remotes or just the newest ones?

Gee, with my dp34 switch, the max number of receivers is 12, so about the only way I would need this is if my closest neighbor switches from Direct to Dish, which is unlikely as they can't see 119 anywhere on their property.

Thanks Scott, I find this info useful as my neighbor and I duel remotes constantly just to screw with each other....yes it's friendly non hostile fire....that is until I end up watching Blues Clues instead of Monday Night Football....It's not likely he'll find me on one of these addresses....:D

Jason

I am also curious if this is for all UHF remotes or just the new UHF Pro remotes, as well as the old and new IR remotes. Does it actually show up as, for example, 20 on the remote address or does it show up as 4? Has this been available all along or with a software upgrade? I wouldnt think that they could do it with a software upgrade at least with the remote.

LOL, the funny thing is your not supposed to use that unless you like in a business or many many many rcvr setting, we use those extra addresses at work, but very few people are aware of it, I'm atr and I just had another aged atr freak out when a customers remote address was on 28, he almost ra'd the rcvr for nvm failure. As far as for which remotes it is, I have never even thought of that, I'll have to chck if I can

I guess since they showed us how to do this yesterday that we are supposed to know it now. :)

From what I know it works on all remotes where you can set the remote address.

This would be great for those that have children that know it all and want to restrict television access to them by setting a different remote address that they would not know how to program to match it in case they get a different remote (if you lock the front panel buttons and take the remote away while you are gone).

Stargazer said:
This would be great for those that have children that know it all and want to restrict television access to them by setting a different remote address that they would not know how to program to match it in case they get a different remote (if you lock the front panel buttons and take the remote away while you are gone).

Didn't they learn how to program the vcr clock faster than any adult on earth? :D

reasons to have more then 16 codes

Well up here in Northeastern CA there is one street where I believe we have in use more then 10 UHF pro remotes. All 10 remotes are within the same 10 house long block. The last time I installed a 522 on that street I went to the other houses I knew had UHFP remotes to make sure I didn't conflict. Now with this I doubt I will have to annoy the neighbors again. I can also see this being helpful when an apt. complex begins to fill up with UHFP remotes.

ML

It worked for my 301s. I have a related question. Is the code stored in the receiver? If your remote batteries die, or you have them out for a while, will this loose the code? I changed my remote address to 30, removed my remote batteries, put them back in and it still operated. Just curious where the code is stored. Thanks.

I code is stored in BOTH places. Obvious if you think about it.

The remote has at least a capacitor to preserve the code memory (remote address, other device code numbers) for a few seconds while you change batteries. It may even have more than that - EAROM for example.

Well I just spent half an hour hunting this info because I forgot how to do it, still quite useful info, figured I would bump the thread while I'm here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)