Dish restoration advice

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Richinald

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 31, 2015
Aruba
Hello,

I recently was searching around for some C-Band dishes, and came across with a C-Band dish all the panels are complete, talking to the owner about it, I saw the dish and the structure is almost good, one satellite technician that looked at the dish pointed out the mount is rusted, and would break if the mount would be disassembled from the pole.
I took some photos and would like to request if there can be any advice given if the mount can be restored by a welding shop, and also if anyone can identify the dish, it is a complete dish even with an actuator on it with the control cables just the dish was not being used for many years, the dish overall looks almost good, so does the pole, just the mount would need to work on it to restore it, or if it can be replaced.

Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    108.6 KB · Views: 313
  • image_1.jpeg
    image_1.jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 298
  • image_2.jpeg
    image_2.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 282
Any advice about this ? reading a lot of BUD dish rescue stories on this site that has been restored, I think there should be some fellow members on the forum board that would be able give an advice about restoration options of the dish mount , and if possible to indentfy this dish.. Thanks

Any advice about this ? reading a lot of BUD dish rescue stories on this site that has been restored, I think there should be some fellow members on the forum board that would be able give an advice about restoration options of the dish mount , and if possible to indentfy this dish.. Thanks

I say to pass on it. I'm not sure what brand dish that is, BUT, it would cost far too much time and money to attempt to rebuild that mount. IMO it's too far gone. I'm sure you'll find another much better dish if you keep looking.

Reactions: Titanium
The work that you will need to put into this restoration would be proportionate to the number of C-band dishes available in your area. If there are other choices, I would keep looking and find one that isn't damaged. If the mount is broken, I would guess that the reflector might also be damaged. By the looks of it, time has taken a toll on this one and it will require a lot of work to get operational and cleaned-up.

Maybe you have a higher threshold for pain than I do... but I personally would keep looking! :biggrin

Reactions: primestar31
I would take it anyways if I had the time to do it. You might come across a good mount with bent dish ....

Iv taken down 2 in the last nonth that i couldnt budge the mount on the pole .... both have been sitting with oil now. Next step will be to use oxy/acet on it to get it hot -- then dry ice on the inside to to get it to shrink -- they should separate.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the SatelliteGuys app!

I would get this dish if I were you!!

I'd be on it like a fat kid on a cheeseburger :hungry2

It looks like a 12 foot dish. The dish itself is likely aluminum, and appears to be in good condition. No panels missing or horribly bent out of shape.

Maybe I'm missing something from the pictures, but overall it appears to be in good shape. Sure, there's tree crap on the dish, but that's not rust.

For a mount for large c-band dishes, they need to use thick steel... I'd be surprised if the mount is beyond repair.

Finding someone who does welding in your area might seem difficult until you ask around, but there are guys that do it, and can likely repair it easier than you think... you just need to find a welding repair shop. They can get the mount off of the pole easily.

Worst case, you can always get another mount, and put this dish on it, if the mount is truly beyond repair. 12 foot dishes are not that easy to come by, and are excellent for c-band.

Where is the dish? Maybe someone else will get it if you don't want it... if it's near southern Ontario, I for one am interested. :)

...one satellite technician that looked at the dish pointed out the mount is rusted, and would break if the mount would be disassembled from the pole.

I call BS... Maybe if it's a guy who does ku band small dish installs, who doesn't know jack about c-band dishes... and hey, if it breaks, it can be fixed...

Get the dish and be happy. :)

sgs

Hello,

Thanks for all the advice and feedback, I appreciate it and would help me very much for the available options for repairing the mount.
Yes I am located in Aruba in the Caribbean , we do not have a lot of C-Band dishes like in the past on the island, but they are here and there.

Grab it. when at home take your time and see what it needs.
if you need welding another option is auto repair shops, the shops that do frame repair. i have had some welding done from auto shops.

its a supply issue, if the supply is low, get everything you can and sort out whats good and whats not.. I've been a junker / scrapper for years and one thing that i always live by is "when the gettin' is good, get it all... sort it out later..."

from what i see that isnt that bad, but my threshold (to use @Titaniums word) is higher than most. i'll try to fix anything.

if you do get it, first thing, is to spray PB Blaster (or WD40 in a pinch) on all the bolts that need to be removed to get it ASAP... keep them wet.. let is soak while you get other stuff. Welding shops can fix anything, even if it needs to be 100% rebuilt, it just costs $$$

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)